Woolfe Quits 'Ungovernable UKIP'

Started by steveL, October 18, 2016, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

Steven Woolfe, the Ukip leadership frontrunner, has quit the party, saying that the party has become ungovernable and is in "a death spiral" without Nigel Farage at the helm.
The MEP said he had reconsidered his ambitions to lead the party after a public altercation with fellow Ukip MEP Mike Hookem outside a meeting in Strasbourg and subsequent seizures that left Woolfe hospitalised.
He said he had come to the conclusion that Ukip was ungovernable without Farage leading it and the referendum cause to unite the party. He also told the BBC that Ukip had entered a "death spiral, of their own making".

With the backing of the major Ukip donor Arron Banks, Woolfe had been the favourite to take over the party after Diane James – who succeeded Farage – lasted just 18 days in the job.
He said that without someone to wrestle it into shape very quickly, Ukip would see "the loss of the party, their influence, the goodwill that the British public have with them".
But Woolfe had been under pressure to withdraw after the fracas in Strasbourg, which was triggered by the revelation that he had considered defecting to the Conservatives.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/17/ukip-mep-steven-woolfe-quits-party
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

marky

Turning into a badly written soap opera if you ask me.

just_a_thought

That Guardian story talks about an exodus of members to the Conservatives which perhaps explains the plummeting membership. Hard to tell the difference these days.

beanzontoast

steveL stop banging on about UKIP, a major political party, on question time tomorrow,secured Brexit, which gave the Headland and the whole UK their fishing industry back, one can only assume judging by your and PHF`s leaflet did not congratulate  this historic moment, because you did not want this to happen. PHF therefore want to Remain in the EU.

BresslawoffoftheBunker

Beanz....

Don't reply to them.   They are a very small
Collection of ne'er do well pseudo politicians who post negativity, condescension and often threatening posts on here with no substance.
My old sergeant major used to say 'don't give me problems, give me answers!'

You won't get that from this lot !!

DRiddle

Why would I congratulate UKIP Tom? I personally was a staunch 'remain' voter. I voted remain for many reasons. One of which was I saw Brexit leading to economic uncertainty which would crash the value of the pound against other world currencies. I saw it as potentially triggering uncertainty in the whole business and commercial sectors. Samsung and Unilever seem to agree with people like me. I also saw it as dragging us back 80 years to an era where millions of people died fighting wars large scale multi national conflicts.

You want to offset all of that economic and socio-political upheaval off against your belief that local fisherman can now catch more cod or whatever?

You need to READ Tom? I make a bet with you that if anything, in time, Brexit will finish off what's left of the English fishing industry. I could explain why I think that, but what's the point? You have your own bizarre view on everything and it's unlikely to change based on anything I say.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/28/british-fishermen-warned-brexit-will-not-mean-greater-catches

mk1

Quote from: beanzontoast on October 20, 2016, 12: AM
steveL stop banging on about UKIP, a major political party, on question time tomorrow,secured Brexit, which gave the Headland and the whole UK their fishing industry back,

One can imagine Tom believing  the RN will sweep the  fleets of dago fishing boats from the sea-if only!  The UK lost the last fishing war (against little Iceland) and the RN has so few ships the EU fleet would crush it in any conflict. Delusions of grandeur and  a return to the  days of gunboat diplomacy.

Hartlepudlion

Mk1

It depends on what you mean by 'lost'.

I 'fought' in the first cod war in the fifties and we did not lose. As you know it was not a shooting war but was, nevertheless, no less acrimonious for that. I sailed in an old, per-war coal burner which out manoeuvred the Thor on more than one occasion despite being less agile and we never lost our nets. It was all down to our crusty old skipper and other skippers and crews like him that kept the UK fishing fleets fishing off Iceland for more than a decade and remained the only fishing fleet to keep the 12mls limit. The other nationalities had to keep the 200mls limit.

The second Cod War in the seventies kept the Icelanders at bay until the USA was brought into the dispute. The Islanders threatened to close down the NATO base on the island if the dispute continued. The British Government caved in to US pressure and British trawlers ceased fishing.

So the Cold Wars were not lost in the true sense of the word but were betrayed/blackmailed  by a supposedly friendly government - just like Suez was in the fifties.

I agree that the result was the same and the deep sea fishing communities of Hull, Grimsby and Fleetwood were destroyed. The near and middle water fishing fleets were unaffected until the EU came along.

mk1

It appears one question has been dropped from the UKIP prospective  MP application form.
It was a simple cognitive test and all they had to do was name several body parts. It appears most candidates could not tell these 2 apart!

DRiddle

There's a brilliant clanger from the UKIP woman on question time tonight as she congratulates 'Tim Flemming' on his election win. ;-)

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: DRiddle on October 20, 2016, 09: PM
There's a brilliant clanger from the UKIP woman on question time tonight as she congratulates 'Tim Flemming' on his election win. ;-)

Apparently this had the woman who was coordinating the event a bit baffled, too ...  ???

BresslawoffoftheBunker

Tim/Tom.   Seriously, is that the best you can do ?

mk1

Jesus the shaven-headed UKIP thugs are out in force on Question Time-and Jim Gillespie!

BresslawoffoftheBunker

Ken Clarke.   Well said fella !!

mk1

2016 top and 2015 below.

Whilst Tory, Labour and Green vote  were roughly 50% down UKIP are down 75%. Their share of the vote is back down to what it was in 2010, 3.5% of the electorate. The Greens beat them into 4th place!
The UKIP death spiral continues apace.....................