What were the historical facts leading uo to the EU creation?

Started by WiseOwl, June 24, 2015, 08: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mk1

The right-wing rags all had another dig at the EU recently

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3136945/Absurd-new-EU-law-mean-ll-face-legal-action-taking-pictures-famous-landmarks-Photos-punished-breach-copyright.html

'Absurd' new EU law could mean you'll face legal action for taking pictures of famous landmarks: Photos could be punished for breach of copyright

and there was a letter in the Mail yesterday from Jonathan Arnott (UKIP MEP)which claimed all  the above and that the world would end if this evil EU plan became law.

The reality is that this is an attempt by the European Pirate Party

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_Party

to lessen copyright restrictions and gain more internet freedom. The clue is in the name of the Party. Think 'Pirate Bay'.

Only brain-dead knee-je*rk 'anti everything that comes from The EU' numpties could twist the attempts to weaken copyright laws into some evil scheme to extend it.

WiseOwl

The Battle For Arnhem – A Bridge Quite Near – recent revelations that show Field Marshal Montgomery's Operation Market Garden, in September 1944, aimed at severing German supply lines on the Western Front should have worked.
It was early morning in Holland on Sunday 17th September 1944 and as the gliders and paratroopers poured down along a sixty mile corridor to hold the bridges.
The furthest bridge from the front line at Arnhem became the focus of attention as and the biggest airborne operation in history unfolded. Was it really 'A Bridge Too Far' as the title of Cornelius Ryan's book and Robert E. Levine's famous film imply? Or could the tanks and ground troops of XXX corps have gotten through to relieve the surrounded British paratroopers? When Heinz Harmel's SS troopers failed to destroy the Nijmegen road bridge that evening the defensive plan entirely collapsed. With Arnhem only 10 miles, a 30 minute Sherman tank drive away and a virtually clear road ahead – General Horrocks' M4 Sherman tanks, led by a young Captain Peter Carrington, inexplicably halted for 17 hours. By the time the tanks started rolling at lunchtime the next day British paratroopers had run out of ammunition, been forced to surrender and German Panzer 5 & Tiger tank reinforcements had arrived to block the way. The Nijmegen bridgehead was established around 19:00hrs, 3 hours later, at 22:00hrs that evening the British were forced to surrender at the Arnhem bridge. So paratroopers of the 1st Airborne division at Arnhem bridge may have been relieved in the nick of time and war in Europe could have been over six months earlier, by Christmas 1944. We look at Cornelius Ryan's book 'A Bridge Too Far' as well as Joseph E. Levine's film of the same name. Interviews with: Captain T. Moffatt Burriss, author of 'Strike and Hold' who was commander of i-company, 504th regiment, 82nd Airborne division during the legendary Waal river crossing; Robert Kershaw author of 'It Never Snows In September' who interviewed 10th SS Panzer Division Brigadeführer Heinz Harmel, commander of the German defence of the Nijmegen and Arnhem bridges; Major Tony Hibbert who was a senior officer of 2nd batallion 1st brigade, British 1st Airborne division at the Arnhem bridge; Tim Lynch author of 'Operation Market Garden: The Legend of the Waal Crossing'; Sir Brian Urquhart, army intelligence officer in the run-up to the operation he was critical of it and transferred before it began... but later became Deputy Secretary General of the newly formed United Nations.

mk1

Quote from: WiseOwl on July 03, 2015, 07: AM
The Battle For Arnhem – A Bridge Quite Near – recent revelations that show Field Marshal Montgomery's Operation Market Garden, in September 1944, aimed at severing German supply lines on the Western Front should have worked................

When doing a cut-and-paste you should link the original which can be found on most of the lunatic  right wing Anti-EU conspiracy sites.

http://www.radio4all.net/index.php/program/58485

https://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/world/2012/04/494584.html

https://secure.gn.apc.org/members/www.bilderberg.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6922

Total garbage swallowed by UKIP thicko's who know nothing about the facts.

Perhaps you should realise the version of history you are peddling is the post war American view. That version has the US doing everything right and all the setbacks were caused by Montgomery who allowed his soldiers to stop for tea every 15 mins whilst the brave GI did all the fighting.

Only a dumb UKIPper could believe a  lowly officer in charge of 5 tanks
could win the Battle Of Arnhem.

Carrington's reply:

Lord Carrington " My recollection of this meeting is different. I certainly met an American officer but he was perfectly affable and agreeable. As I said, the airborne were all very glad to see us and to get some support, NO ONE suggested we should press on to Arnhem. This whole allegation is bizzare, just to begin with I was Captain and second in command, of my squadron so I was in no posistion either to take orders from another Captain or depart from my own orders which were to take my tanks across the bridge, join up with the US airborne and form a bridgehead. This story is simply lunacy and this alleged exchange DID NOT TAKE PLACE

WiseOwl

mk1

Some information that illustrates the stark raving  looney people who promote this fabrication.

The main mover is a Tony Gosling.
He has this site

http://www.911forum.org.uk/board/viewtopic.php?t=20865

This  man is convinced there was conspiracy in WW2 where leading British  Generals  conspired  to make the second world war last longer so that Na*zi money could be smuggled out and used to fund a 'New World Order' where the EU would replace Hitler/Germany and rule by diktat!

Now you know why George and Beanz are so bat-sh*it crazy.

'Fruitcakes, looneys and closet racisists'? Cameron was not even close!

Inspector Knacker

The man in charge of the advance to Arnhem was the then General Brian Horrocks, mere Captains count for very little in the great scheme of things militarily. Hope that helps.
oh and please treat the US version of events with a bit of scepticism, they do tend to colour events in their shades.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.