Whatever happened to BBC's independence?

Started by WiseOwl, June 11, 2015, 04: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WiseOwl

UKIP Deputy Leader Paul Nuttall MEP has today written to Lord Hall, Director-General of the BBC, pointing out that the corporation does not disclose in its coverage of the EU the tens of millions of pounds which it receives from the European Commission: "An examination of the European Commission's website discloses that between 2007 and 2013 the BBC received €30.2m, approximately £22.1m, from the commission. Millions more have been paid since."

"The debate on the referendum of Britain's membership of the EU is clearly one in which the BBC has a duty to observe impartiality in its coverage. I am concerned however that the BBC, should it continue on present form, will fail in this duty."
He went onto say: "There are too many examples of the failure of the BBC to disclose to their audience the financial links between those being interviewed and the largesse of the EU institutions."

In particular, the UKIP Deputy Leader is concerned about the large number of representatives of universities, trade and industrial organisations which receive millions in funding from the EU and are invited by the BBC to broadcast their support for the UK's continued membership, yet whose payments from the EU are not disclosed.

"There is also the conflict of interest of BBC contributors who have been either European Commissioners or who have in the past been employed by one of the EU institutions. The EU pension rules state that if anyone in receipt of a pension fails to demonstrate loyalty to the EU can be 'deprived of his right to a pension or other benefits."

not4me

Looks like UKIP are starting early in building up a portfolio of excuses for why the referendum went the wrong way for them.

mk1

This was in the last but one Private Eye just after Kim-Jung Nige  purged the Party of all the imperialist running dogs.

It was rather brutal the way anyone who did not prostrate themselves at the feet  Kim-Jung Nige and beg him to continue has been confined to the dustbin of history. UKIP are the only defeated party that refuses to learn  from its defeat and  put the man who  led them to ignominy back at the helm.

WiseOwl

READ THE CONTENTS NUGGETS?

Then try hard to get a life

mk1

Quote from: WiseOwl on June 12, 2015, 08: AM

I presume you would be one of those crazy types who  had to be 'locked in a room' whenever Journalists visited UKIP HQ?

mk1

UKIP clearly see this one slipping away from them. They are poor simple folks who are confused when anyone dares to contradict their blinkered views. Kippers have not yet twigged that if a 'majority' wanted out of the EU then they would have voted UKIP last month. Even the great god Nigel failed to get enough support.
Yesterdays party led by yesterdays man still smarting from their defeat and unable to come to terms with what happened to them.
Can I remind   all the Kippers that they were all boasting here a year ago how politics had changed forever. How it was now a 4 way split and they were going to be the kingmakers in the new era. Suck it up lads. You were creamed and the voters  put you in your place.

mk1

Quotetry and address the topic that has been posed instead of your customary insults and juvenile, irrelevant jibes

Would this be classed as  'juvenile & irrelevant'

WiseOwl

Thank the Lord there is one grown up on hear.
The message was about the BBC
A case of shoot the messenger.
Thankfully  these juveniles won't be deciding anything more important to them than from swopping to a grown up comic.

mk1

Quote from: WiseOwl on June 12, 2015, 02: PM
Thank the Lord there is one grown up on hear.

The correct spelling is 'here'. You can't even write right!

WiseOwl

Johnny Bongo

'' Never forget we ALL pay a licence fee to the BBC .'' 
I totally agree with you Kipperdip, except the above bit!  I don't pay any money to the BBC, as I am 'legally licence free'.  If you want to see the end of the biased BBC, then starve them of their 'life blood'....MONEY. By NOT watching LIVE TV, you do not require a BBC licence.  I'm sure many on here are aware of this.  Hopefully, soon, the licence fee will be abolished!

WiseOwl

Thankyou Johnny Bongo for another sensible comment.
As for one of the others a quote from the Bible aptly encapsulates the myopic views of some of the herd,                           "There are non so blind as he who WILL NOT SEE!"

mk1

Quote from: WiseOwl on June 13, 2015, 11: AM
Thankyou Johnny Bongo for another sensible comment.
As for one of the others a quote from the Bible aptly encapsulates the myopic views of some of the herd,                           "There are non so blind as he who WILL NOT SEE!"
The word is 'none'.   'Non' means 'not', as in non-dom (not a domicile)
Typical UKIP thicko...........

WiseOwl

Cerebral reply KD
There are those amongst the dross on here who think in straight lines.
If these numbskulls can drive, I wonder if they avoid roundabouts.

When histories assess the causes of the great tragedies of life, the foolishness of self-delusion must rank extremely high

WiseOwl

When histories assess the causes of the great tragedies of life, the foolishness of self-delusion must rank extremely high