By not getting these establishment bullies out you've opened up a can of worms

Started by WiseOwl, June 03, 2015, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WiseOwl

Prisoners may be given vote because of human rights climbdown, Tory adviser warns

Prisoners in Britain may be given the vote because of David Cameron's refusal to pull out of the European Convention on Human Rights, a leading QC and adviser to the Conservative Party has warned.

Jonathan Fisher QC, who has advised the Conservatives on a British Bill of Rights to replace the Human Rights Act, said that Philip Hammond, the Foreign Secretary, confirming that pulling out of the convention is not "on the table" means that when "push comes to shove" the party will have to give way to Strasbourg judges on prisoner voting.

In response, Diane James MEP, UKIP's Justice and Home Affairs spokeswoman said: "The UKIP position is there should be a blanket ban of votes for prisoners. The problem is, if we continue to be members of the EU and as a consequence, signed up to the ECHR, I have little doubt 'votes for prisoners' will be forced upon us.

"After all, the ECHR judgements trump that of our national parliament and Supreme Court.

"As it stands, the UK is bound by Article 46.1 of the Convention which requires us 'to abide by the final judgment of the Court in any case' to which we are a party.

"If the ECHR does force the UK to give votes to prisoners it will be a huge slap in the face to the British democratic process and once again signals the UK cannot escape this ECHR supremacy while we are signed-up members of the EU."

WiseOwl

UKIP Defence Spokesman expresses great anxiety at news of yet more Tory defence cuts in the new parliament

UKIP Defence Spokesman, Mike Hookem MEP, has said comments on the UK defence budget by the US Defence Secretary, Ashton Carter are "hugely concerning for the future of the 'special relationship'" and has expressed "great anxiety" at news of yet more Tory defence cuts in the new parliament.

Defence Secretary Carter suggested that the United Kingdom could be hugely diminished as a global player; if the Tories persist with their current spending plans, which fail to meet the 2% of GDP on defence spending NATO spending commitment.

Mike Hookem MEP said, "Time and again before the election, UKIP warned that the Conservatives were going to make a further attack on defence spending if they won power. This was obvious from their sheer lack of commitment to meet the NATO spending target of 2% of GDP on defence."

"The simple fact is that Britain's armed forces are already starved of much needed resources and further cuts would seriously hamper the UK's ability to respond to the constantly evolving world security situation. More cuts would also seriously harm the vital humanitarian work that Britain's armed forces do around the globe."

The Americans are obviously keeping a close eye on the situation, as Ashton Carter's intervention is unprecedented. It proves that David Cameron's lack of commitment to our defence is causing concern among our key allies and is damaging our 'special relationship' with the US."

"If things continue like this, the UK will have an army in name only, and we will be forced to go cap in hand to the EU to meet our basic defence requirements. However, I suspect it was always the Tories intention to run our armed forces down in preparation for entering into the EU Army being pushed for by Germany and the EU President, Jean Claude Junker."

Mr Carter's comments come just a day after a high-profile Conservative MP, Julian Lewis, attacked David Cameron's defence policy and admitted that his own party has left UK defences "enfeebled".

WiseOwl

Gibraltar MEP, William Dartmouth regrets resignation of the Rock's Governor

Following the announcement of the resignation of the Governor of Gibraltar William Dartmouth MEP, who represents the Rock in the European Parliament said, "I am very sad to learn of the resignation of Sir James Dutton. I share his obviously deep sense of frustration at discovering that our Foreign Office regarded his job as little more than ceremonial. He is a man who has taken his responsibility to the Rock and its people with the utmost seriousness.

Dartmouth went on, "As Governor he represents Her Majesty the Queen directly and not the British government and his role is to be responsible for external affairs, internal security and defence. It is not a job that can be second guessed by a Foreign office bureaucrat. Nor indeed a Government that seems to be more concerned about pandering to Spain. It is doing this as part of its tactical manoeuvring to obtain European Union reform than it is to standing up for the interests and safety of Gibraltar.

"Sadly I presume that the next Governor will not have the distinguished military background of Sir James and if that is so there is little chance of Gibraltar having an enhanced Royal Navy presence to halt the persistent incursion of Spain into Gibraltar's territorial waters.

"The Military importance of Gibraltar is higher now than it has been in decades, with the growth of Islamist terrorism in the Maghreb and the current migration crisis in the Mediterranean. Now is not the time to downgrade the Rock or its Governor".

mk1

Quote from: WiseOwl on June 03, 2015, 12: PM
Prisoners may be given vote because of human rights climbdown, Tory adviser warns

Prisoners in Britain may be given the vote because of David Cameron's refusal to pull out of the European Convention on Human Rights....drone...........drone.......drone..........zzz.............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Fact Check. The above is a load of bollocks. What this is about is the UK having a blanket denial of all prisoner voting rights. The UK is at liberty to change the rule so that (for example) prisoners serving 6-9-12 months can vote but those serving more can not. They could even make a rule that anyone serving a week of more could be denied a vote.
All pi*ss & wind.

mk1

Quote from: WiseOwl on June 03, 2015, 12: PM

lack of commitment to our defence is causing concern among our key allies and is damaging our 'special relationship' with the US."

They are gonna have to buy another poodle then................

WiseOwl

I would trust to UKIP over the thread spoiler bullies any day!

mk1

Quote from: WiseOwl on June 03, 2015, 03: PM
I would trust to UKIP over the thread spoiler bullies any day!

You made 3 posts today.

One complaining about Johny Foreigner making rules we do not like.

One complaining that Johny Foriegner was going to put pressure on Gib.

One complaining that we might not have enough guns and bullets to fend of the hordes of Johny Foreigner heading our way.

Seems to me you have a very bad case of  Johny Foreigner-itis!

WiseOwl

Establishment bullies...err, they would be part of the British, as in no other dominion, establishment.
The government downgrading Gibraltar... British government that would be
Prisoner's rights... that would be prisoners in British jails.
It would help if you start reading the thread properly and it would have been better if you start to be open minded.
Miracles do happen
Unfortunately, some see simply what they want to see, and miss the obvious

mk1

Quote from: WiseOwl on June 04, 2015, 10: AM

It would help if you start reading the thread properly

I can read. Do you want me to post the comments Carswell made about one N Farage to prove it?

WiseOwl

You know the type who see people deep in conversation and they stick their nose in by asking some inane question.
Akin to kicking sand about.
Unfortunately, this site seems jimmy riddled with them: if you don't say what they believe they detract, bully and frankly prove their retentiveness