Happy Saint Georges day to you all

Started by WiseOwl, April 23, 2015, 02: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WiseOwl

There should be a national holiday on the 23rd April from now on in England: what do you think readers?

steveL

St George was a Greek who was born in Syria. If he were alive today, you lot would want to stop him getting into England never mind declare a national holiday in his honour.

I would guess that the average UKIPPER thinks that St George was a mate of Richard the Lionheart (who spoke French and barely a word of English) and, between slaying dragons, frequently popped over to eat supper in Sherwood Forest with Robin Hood.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Hartlepudlion

Some say he was Turkish!

We share him with several countries - definitely Sweden and I think I have seen him Prague.

I can't remember why the English adopted him. Perhaps because of his role as dragon slayer which could be why we like the underdog.

steveL

Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

mk1

Quote from: WiseOwl on April 23, 2015, 02: PM
There should be a national holiday on the 23rd April from now on in England: what do you think readers?

I am all for it. I hope it will be with pay as well. Can UKIP confirm they are in favour of giving the workers another paid holiday?

Or is it a case that they are looking to get rid of another 'bank holiday' they may (or May not?) dislike.....................

WiseOwl

A Greek born in Syria... have to think about that one.
He was a Christian
He was working, as a tribune so he would be welcomed into Britain as a highly paid leader of men
He believed in what he said and died a horrible death being beheaded after having been resuscitated thrice from barbaric torture on 23rd April 303AD
He had high standards and was a very honourable man: it would be impossible for him to have been any of the low life's hiding away from the truth and sticking inside the Westminster bubble when there are dragons to slay.
This sounds like Nigel Farage.
Richard the Lion heart was French because whole swath's of France were part of our empire... check it out!
You should have attended school more and listened instead of assuming and jumping in.
People like you are what we call sh!t stirrers... get a life and if you can't say something positive put your head between your knees and have a word with yourself!

mk1

Quote from: WiseOwl on April 23, 2015, 08: PM
Richard the Lion heart was French because whole swath's of France were part of our empire... check it out!

Err don't you mean England was part of the French (Norman) empire. He was  Duke Of Normandy for a reason.

Quote from: WiseOwl on April 23, 2015, 08: PM
You should have attended school more and listened instead of assuming and jumping in.
People like you are what we call sh!t stirrers... get a life and if you can't say something positive put your head between your knees and have a word with yourself!

You went to school?
Where you ill the day they did history?

mk1

Opps. Seems I upset someone. Wiseowl has just smitten me!
Myself I can't be ar*sed with that malarky!

WiseOwl

You've turned a great topic into a childish spite squabble
You are not the kind of person to represent anyone let alone an electorate as a result of your continued childish outbursts and comments.
Maybe a good analyst could get to the root of your egocentrism: the problem would be that you will refuse to accept that you clearly have a problem.

Lucy Lass-Tick

'Happy Saint George's Day'?  Such a phrase sounds like an American import to me - same as people wishing each other 'Happy Halloween'; happy celtic festival of the dead? I think not ...

Mind you, back to the St George's day theme, I wonder what merchandising the event could support -  supermarkets full of plastic dragons, chocolate dragons' eggs/fluffy toy dragons? The list is endless -  (remember the Simpsons episode featuring 'Happy Love Day'?

WiseOwl

was yesterday good for you?
It was for me 8)