South Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner

Started by one direction, October 31, 2014, 11: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

one direction

Police and Crime Commissioner By-Election 2014 took place on Thursday 30 October.

Total number of valid first preference   votes: 148,062

ALLEN David, English Democrats - "Putting   England First!" 8,583    (5.8%)
BILLINGS Alan,  Labour Party Candidate  74,060   (50.02%)
CLARKSON Jack. UK Independence Party (UKIP) 46,883   (31.66%)
WALKER Ian, The Conservative Party Candidate 18,536   (12.52%)

Number of ballot papers rejected at first count: 2,299
The turnout in the South Yorkshire Police Area at this election was 14.88%.

Alan Billings, Labour Party Candidate, has been elected as the Police and Crime Commissioner for South Yorkshire.

https://www.barnsley.gov.uk/services/council-and-democracy/councillors-democracy-and-elections/voting/current-elections

So anyone care to speculate on what this result means for predicting the General Election in 2015? The 2012 result inb thuis election saw Labour win with 51.35 % of the vote. so hardly the massive switch from Labour to UKIP that everyone was talking about. UKIPs increase is almost exactly the drop by the English Democrats, Lib-Dems and Tories.

One interesting note. The 2012 UKIP candidate for SYPCC is now the North East UKIP MEP with his office in Hartlepool. I wonder if he still lives in Sheffield? A party aperatnik! So much for UKIP candidates being real people, representing the areas where they live rather than professional politicians going wherever they can get a ticket to ride the Brussels Gravy train.

Mican

Why are these posts political?  Surely all of these positions should be free of any political interference and people be left to get on with the job they were elected to do.

Bimba1

one direction .

QuoteOne interesting note. The 2012 UKIP candidate for SYPCC is now the North East UKIP MEP with his office in Hartlepool. I wonder if he still lives in Sheffield? A party aperatnik! So much for UKIP candidates being real people, representing the areas where they live rather than professional politicians going wherever they can get a ticket to ride the Brussels Gravy train.

Jonathan Arnott MEP UKIP address  Guisborough according to the Bio article/link below

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/jonathan-arnott/

one direction

Well according to Shefield Council, statement of persons nominated for May 2014 election, Mrs Arnott gave her home address as 9 Ravenscroft Close, Sheffield, S13 8PN. The same address Mr Arnott gave when he was SYPCC Candidate for UKIP and when he fought the Woodhouse ward back in 2010.

I suspect the "address" in Guisbrough is a rented flat that he gets post delivered to........

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city.../2014/elections-22-may.html

Hartlepudlion

Mican. I too am puzzled. I think that the main reason the vote is so low is that most people see this as another example of cronyism for party activists to be rewarded. Prime example being Vera Baird kicked out as as MP in Redcar and the is given the Northumberland job.

If non-political people only can apply then the interest would be greater and we would probably be better served. Police Commissioners should not have a political bias.

Bimba1. Welcome and enjoy your participation.

Mican

Spot on Hartlepudlion,  I may be wrong but I think that one of the reasons Drummond got a lot of his votes was that he was independant (Allegedly)