Three years on from being presented with the answer...

Started by DRiddle, January 31, 2016, 06: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRiddle

You have to laugh sometimes at some of our councillors, 2 or 3 in particular. This is a story about the sea coalers in Hartlepool 'broken' by the Northern Echo an hour or so ago.

Marj is delighted with the introduction of a license scheme. Apparently it'll mean they can clarify when, where and how often the sea coalers can go on the beach. Apparently it'll also mean HBC can ensure the sea coalers have the relevant insurance, MOT's, public liability and such like.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/local/teesvalley/14243261.Ancient_trade_in__sea_coaling__officially_returns_to_Hartlepool_s_beaches_following_deal/

Personally I think it's not so much a genius idea, more of a 'blindingly obvious solution' that anyone with a brain could have come up with within 5 minutes of realising there was an issue.

In fact, I'm certain the idea was suggested on this forum back 2013  ::)

http://www.forum.hartlepoolpost.co.uk/index.php/topic,1252.msg15695.html#msg15695

Still, nice to know they're listening.... even if it's taken them 3 years.

Having said all that, I hope they've consulted properly with the sea coalers before deciding where they can and can't go.

Alnwickist

Er, the sea coalers were never consulted on this.They just got a short sharp email from some minor in HBC.

Land Phil

I get the impression that HBC have had it in for the seacoalers for some time.
I wonder why ?

hartlepool sea coalers

YES WE WONDER WHY, recieved a email with the licence proposals and a map with were we can and cannot go  NO PROBLEM, we will purchase the licence   then take the rights of way up which we have been denied,in the licence ,  at the next council meeting see you there ,miss james,belchers,wells, ect ect

hartlepool sea coalers

LETTER RECEIVED CONCERNING SEACOAL LICENCE

Many thanks for your e mail regarding Sea Coaling Activities.

I attach for your attention a draft licence which sets out the basis of the proposals which we would like to agree going forward.

You will note from the plan attached that the Licence covers the Seaton and Newburn beach areas (excluding the bathing area) with access to be granted over the area coloured green.

With regard to the Foreshore located north of the Brus Tunnel, in order to alleviate concerns raised by the Heritage Coastal Partnership this area is to be excluded from any Sea Coal removal programme at this moment in time.

Furthermore the 'Basin' area referred to in your e mail is within the ownership of Jomast/Mandale/PD Ports and in this regard I would suggest that you make separate contact with them.

I am keen to progress this matter so your early response would be much appreciated.

Should you have any queries then please give me a call.

Regards

Fiona Bullen BSc MRICS (Registered Valuer)

Principal Estates Surveyor

Civic Centre

Victoria Road

Hartlepool

steveL

Bit baffled by all this. There is no sea coal north of the Brus Tunnel and precious little south of it until you get to Marine Drive. Also, there's been a barrier across the entrance to the tunnel for a long time now.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

hartlepool sea coalers

we were granted access through the brus tunnel last year when they opened the gates past few months gates been locked to the brus  tunnel there is coal to be had over there not a lot but enough

steveL

Regarding the basin, which usually has a thick layer of sea coal in it. HBC are claiming this belongs to Jomast, which might well be the case but I wouldn't put too much faith in HBC knowing who it belongs to.

Some time ago, a local bloke complained about the state of the lighting down the Marina promenade and was told that there was 'confusion' over who the promenade belonged to - not very reassuring given the importance of The Marina to the town. In the end, the council repaired the lights and since then they have all been replaced by the new LEDS, effectively cutting down the width of the promenade to 12ft on a night for anyone not equipped with SAS style infra-red goggles.

My understanding is that the foreshore always belongs to Queen Liz and that she has no plans to give it up.

There's a lot of ignorance surrounding sea coaling in town. I understand the need for licencing but people have a right to earn a living and a traditional one that's being going on for centuries. Surely, it can't be that complicated to sort it out - someone needs to get a grip.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

hartlepool sea coalers

THANKS FOR THAT STEVE L all the lads want is to earn a living,  we have enquired about the basin and jomas/pd ports/mandale  have  said hbc own the right of way to it so its down to HBC ,but as you have seen they have blamed jomas ect   we have offered to also clear the debris from the basin as we collect the seacoal and to  clear up any mess that is made and also to keep noise to a minimum but as you can see we just keep getting knocked back,  hbc have gave us a map we can ONLY collect from old town to station lane no more

fred c

If thre was any money in it for the clowncillors, you would be able to collect coal from anywhere between Crimdon & the Tees Mouth.... not that many of them would be prepared to graft.... Oh I forgot, some of them have haven`t been to graft for donkey`s years.

hartlepool sea coalers

does anyone really know who the basin belongs to, and who is it that has locked the gates to it hbc or jomas /mandale/pd ports,?

Hopingforbetter

The links below from the HBC website might help.  It states most the of the shore as leased in, which I'm not really sure what it means, maybe leased in from the Crown?

Council Land and Buildings Page - https://www.hartlepool.gov.uk/downloads/download/14/council_land_and_buildings
All Hartlepool Borough Council Assets Spreadsheet - https://www.hartlepool.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/29/all_hartlepool_borough_council_assets.xlsx
Assets Location Map - https://www.hartlepool.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/671/assets_location_map.pdf

fred c

HBC don`t even know how many employees it has on its books, so they are unlikely to know who owns some beach ::)

There really is something broken wthin the civic, Officers must feel as though they are banging their head agaist a brick wall at what goes on.

Hartlepudlion

Personally I don't think licencing is necessary. It smacks of a totalitarian state that wants to control all aspects of our lives - no wonder the Civic is nicknamed the Kremlin! Uncle Joe would be proud of MD.