Here we go again...more 'other people's' rubbish

Started by testing times, April 20, 2013, 06: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

testing times

does anyone else smell a rat here?....actually, probably thousands of them

Am I the only one wondering why Merseyside doesn't just build its own; they need the 50 jobs too? And what exactly is 'the process ' - because if all it amounts to is an incinerator then no thanks.

Lastly, how genuine are the 'green' energy claims given that it means a constant flow of trains from Merseyside to Teesside?

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/2013/04/20/200m-power-plant-at-wilton-is-fantastic-news-for-teesside-84229-33206764/

whatabouthisthen

Yes. I read about it on the BBC. It did mention an incinerator to be built near Redcar. S'Ely winds would bring the muck our way.
Apparently the NE is the centre of excellence for re-cycling waste!  What an accolade!

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Don't we have enough s**t in our region already ?
I don't believe it.

Inspector Knacker

But, it's all dressed up as part of the recycling / green revolution ..... all I see is dust, paper and plastic bags blowing about and the town being remodelled on the lines of the Swiss Alpsas we appear to be happy to attempt to cover anything and everything with top soil.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

rabbit

Back in February, the Government withdrew funding for three new PFI incinerator projects, stating that there was sufficient incinerator capacity for now.

These were in Merseyside, North Yorkshire and the Calder area. The various councils were jumping up and down as to money wasted and what were they going to do with their rubbish.

Never fear, Sita and Teesside are ready and able to satisfy (well at least Merseyside for now).

But if the government say there are enough incinerators now, why is Sita going to build another one?

And does Sita have their eyes on North Yorks and Calder rubbish? Where there`s muck.....there`s money.

By the way, the Merseyside deal involves over 1000 tons of rubbish per day. Pity the stuff they are going to burn isn`t coal.

http://www.resource.uk.com/article/News/SITA_preferred_bidder_Merseyside_contract-2978#.UXRpLEq8rzY

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/2013/02/25/government-pulls-90m-mersey-incinerator-funding-100252-32873347/

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/10248221.Crunch_talks_being_held_over_incinerator_funding_withdrawal/

http://www.resource.uk.com/article/Latest/Defra_withdraws_funding_three_PFI_projects-2785#.UXRhdkq8rzY

steveL

interesting post, Rabbit.....and all for 50 jobs. Sometimes it feels like our high unemployment is used as leverage to get us to accept anyone's s**t ............ it seems...whatever the problem.....there's always somewhere on Teesside to dump it......... just emphasise that's there's a few jobs in it for them!
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Lorry full of other peoples crap driving into our town this morning ..from Penrith Cumbria ...would be interesting to note all the different locations we get crap from an plot them on a map.
I don't believe it.

rabbit

My wife and I am very diligent (sort of) with our recycling. We use the correct bins (one of 3 or 4) for the stuff we don`t eat, compost, re-use or send off to charity.

We compost as much "organic" stuff as possible. There is very little material left over that goes into the green bin.

If other local people do the same as us, I wonder what does makes up the bulk of the material that goes into the non-recyclable bins.

One answer must be used nappies and cat litter.

On top of that there must also be all the non recyclable stuff that the council collects such as uneaten food from pubs and restaurants, left-over pizzas, burgers and the like from late night revellers. And of course doggy poos from those roadside boxes.

So if Merseyside folk tend to have similar waste in their bins, and they are sending over 1000 tons of the stuff by rail to Teesside every day, it would be appropriate for that train to be called the s**t train.

I see that my use of an old English word has been automatically abreviated so perhaps the transport could be called the Excrement Express?

fred c

I remember a senior elected HBC officer once describe Hartlepool as "A Centre Of Excellence For Re-Cycling" I think it was in relation to the Core Strategy magumba that was all the vogue a little while ago.

Fortunately this particular facility will be built at Wilton, not ideal i know, but at least it isn`t in Ward Jackson Park...... the way our council have allowed the town to become known as Landfill City is a bloody disgrace..... several Individuals & Companies are making a fortune whilst the rest of us have to put up with the results of HBC`s folly in allowing them in the first place.

marky

I can remember someone wanting to use part of Clavering as a landfill not so long ago. Fortunately it was kicked out.