Spinning Off the Pitch

Started by steveL, September 07, 2017, 08: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: Riddler5 on September 08, 2017, 05: PM
Quote from: DRiddle on September 08, 2017, 06: AM

How does somebody go from (in many cases) being a relative nobody, to occupying such a position of power.

They rose without trace, turned up and took over. Nobody said a word.

Bit like Japanese Knotweed ...

DRiddle

I guess it all comes down to upbringing and strength of character and the much talked about (on this forum) moral compass.

When you look at the last few years within the council chamber, it absolutely amazes me that some people could put their hand up to vote through some of the things they have.

I find it even more amazing that many times, when councillors have been challenged privately (usually in the corridor after the meeting) about why they voted the way they did, they say "Ah yeah i agree with you, but you know how it is in a party, with the whip system and everything".

What kind of person votes to do the absolute opposite of what they believe to be right, simply because somebody else (the party) tells them to?

It's crazy.

We saw it recently with the 30 odd percent rise in allowances. Some people played the 'i don't want it' card after the event to try to save face and get re-elected in May. But i genuinely believe there were 3 or 4 people who 100% disagreed with the rise, but still voted for it.

That's beyond hypocritical.

I'm staggered there hasn't been a significant number of the Labour group walk the floor

I guess it all comes down to strength of character. Or lack of.

Inspector Knacker

The 19 th century growth of the town was fuelled by businessmen who were the movers and shakers of their day. It of course has to be set in the context of its time, but we appear to have gone from Victorian movers and shakers to loafers and takers. We are going nowhere at breakneck speed.We are governed by those who appear to have no talent for anything, monkeys and organ grinders.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

mk1

Quote from: Riddler5 on September 08, 2017, 09: PM
we appear to have gone from Victorian movers and shakers to..................

..............Regency Molly House Macaroni's!

fred c

"What kind of person votes to do the absolute opposite of what they believe to be right, simply because somebody else (the party) tells them to?"

The really sad thing is..... it isn't 'The Party' it is usually a self serving arsewipe who wants the best for himself and his areswipe 'comrades'..... self self self is their mantra.