Surrey County Council 15% Increase

Started by steveL, January 19, 2017, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

Tory run Surrey County Council plans to increase council tax by 15% - subject to a local referendum, in order to fund social care in the county. The county has seen funding cuts of £120m since 2010. Councils can increase council tax by just under 5% without a referendum, provided 3% of the increase is ring-fenced for social care. Typical council tax bills will increase by over £200 a year if the increase is supported by the referendum.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

akarjl

The problem at the kremlin is you could increase council tax by 30...40...50% but it would make no difference as the lunatics have taken over the asylum and have no concept of financial management or control literally p**s up/brewery situation.

For example why are the contemplating wasting 1 million on a piece of junk at seaton when they claim they don't have enough money?

kevplumb

I believe it's a coastal community grant they are after to fund it
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

Hartlepudlion

From the figures in the report Surrey's band D property would rise by £245 to £1883.06 per annum.

Hartlepool's current Band D is £1756.09pa. A rise of 15% here would be £263.41 giving an annual cost of £2,019.50

A big difference.

Land Phil

I do wonder if I will be able to afford the council tax when I retire.

It is set to be the biggest expense I will have by a country mile.

Is that why older people choose to live in caravans ?
Are they tax exempt?

Inspector Knacker

Who gets to vote? The person who pays, or everyone?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.