The Yellow Brick Road to Teesside City

Started by Land Phil, November 10, 2014, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Land Phil

Inspector Knacker

Vote....?......er..... no!
However, you will be the recipient of consultation, presentation and eventually frustration.
We are slowly being morphed ratchet like into the son of  Cleveland County, only this time they're arrogantly bulldozing ahead, brushing aside the democracy nonsense, to their vision of sun lit uplands by political nonentities.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

beanzontoast

Land Phil, you do get a chance to vote on this its called the local elections.

steveL

This doesn't read as if we have much say in the matter but the way I understand it, it means a great big chunk of policy areas being put under the control of an unelected quango - a quango which has already shown a heavy list towards Stockton and Middlesbrough.

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/business/hartlepool-to-consult-on-combined-authority-for-tees-valley-1-6950379
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Hartlepudlion

Yep DB! But did you see the fade out shot on this subject on tonight's Look North? Four Council leaders walked one way leaving one out of shot. You don't really need to guess who do you? ... That's right our very own Billy no mates, CAB. It doesn't give much for Hartlepool's chances whilst he is in power, does it?

steveL

Personally, I think people in Hartlepool feel far more associated with Durham than they do Teesside and if you read the Gazette you'd quickly conclude that those in Teesside associate Hartlepool with Durham too. The Gazette has a habit of not including Hartlepool when it talks about the Teesside local authorities and whenever it publishes survey results somehow Hartlepool always manages to be left out. We only seem to make an appearance when they need the extra population figures when chasing Government funding and when they get it, we seem to see precious little of it.

The dream of a Teesside Metro is a good case in point when we were completely left out of the plans until someone from Hartlepool shouted 'Hello' at which point they produced an ethereal 'Phase II' out of mid-air but without a time-scale. 
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

not4me

You could say the same about the 8,000 wind turbine jobs that were supposed to come to Hartlepool after the Teesside quango scrapped the Victoria harbour plans. What was it again? They were going to make us the 'turbine making centre of the UK' According to the story on the front page those jobs have now gone to Redcar.

Oh and let's not forget the hospital. been there, done that etc.

Hartlepool joining Teesside is just a bad idea and if it comes to the push it should be put to a referendum before it happens never mind CAB deciding for us. I assume he understands Mexican now so - No way Jose !

Bimba1

StevL 
QuotePersonally, I think people in Hartlepool feel far more associated with Durham than they do Teesside and if you read the Gazette you'd quickly conclude that those in Teesside associate Hartlepool with Durham too.
I for one do and so do many  of the people I speak with.

Hartlepudlion, I did spot this:
QuoteBimba1. Welcome and enjoy your participation.

Thank you, much appreciated. I do enjoy reading the posts on this forum... I have a lot to catch up with! The  Front Page is just  excellent and no Councillor  worth their salt should oppose it.

Land Phil

Would any of our councillors or prospective MP candidates that use this site be interested in setting up a survey or petition to collect the views of Hartlepudlians with respect to forming a new County Cleveland ?

In the same way James Wharton collected views over the hospital situation and used them positively for the people of Stockton.

It could earn somebody extra voter brownie points if they did and would have more clout than an effort by an unknown like myself.

Thanks. 

steveL

I think this is a very good idea though it might be a bit early as yet. Nothing of any good has ever come from closer links to Teesside.

beanzontoast

I would have thought everyone on this forum would be dancing in the streets with a merger all the councillors gone so to the Mayor all the officers and the civic bulldozed,

Bilbo Baggins

The tees valley authorites are already part of a combined authority group to a lesser degree.  Staff share and joint authority service agreements are already part and parcel of local authority life and it seems the Teesside authorities are taking a leaf out of our Durham/Tyne and Wear neighbours who have been part of the North East Combined Authority for some time.

Inspector Knacker

People on what we call Teesside have never regarded  Hartlepool as part of Teesside and the generally the feeling's mutual.
I always felt the Tees divided the area not united it. Communities along its length are buffered by the fact its banks are extensively industrial.......look over to Redcar from Seaton....it's so close ...but you can drive to Newcastle in the time it takes to drive  there. Middlesbrough will gain from this ...the wannabe city...... we're just there to hulk up the numbers...there'll be nothing in it for us.........you only need to see what Cleveland did for us......it was like the hospital..... grand promises but nothing of substance to show for it as things wound down..
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.