Social media as a tool for change

Started by john riddle, March 18, 2014, 08: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john riddle

Social Media as a tool for political change
In a society when less than 25% of the electorate turn out to vote in local elections will the ever growing world of social media change voting habits? In the past the local news media informed and if you beleive some, influenced how people voted. The demise of the printed newspaper, less than 25% of households in Hartlepool now read a printed copy of The Mail, the way is open for people who wish to change the staus quo, to use the internet to influence voting.
Sites such as Hartlepool First and the Hartlepool Post are certainly trying to "wake up" the silent majority but will they succeed? The answer of course will be known in May when Hartlepool people have the opportunity to vote again to change the membership of the council.

tankerville

It's all very well to go on about political change and the percentage of those that actually bother to vote whether it be labour or conservative liberal independent or whatever.

The fact remains the vast majority in this town and nationwide have no faith in politicians.

Speak to the 'man in the street' a thunderous reply will be heard from all; IT'S A WASTE OF TIME YOU NEVER SEE ANY OF THEM ONLY WHEN THEY WANT YOUR VOTE.

Or more commonly; I always vote Labour no matter who's standing. 'OR' like someone said on here If no one voted we would get rid of the lot of them. I'm all for that idea!

fred c

The political system in this country has failed, working class people have been disenfranchised by all of the main parties, well the 2 main parties, after 2015 the LibDems will be a a lame duck party.

The Tories & Labour are barely distinguishable, for the first time in my life i really don`t have any idea who i will vote for.... but one thing is certain, i won`t be voting for our present "Member" & i fervently hope everyone else in Hartlepool thinks the same.

Hartlepool has been "Ragged, Bagged & Throughly Shagged" by the Labour Party over the last 2 generations & the only hope for Hartlepool is for it to become a Marginal Seat.

Land Phil

Looking at social media, my worry is Gravy is going to disgrace the town more than banana man.

Gravy doesn't conjure up any images of intelligence, more like Hartlepool potentially looking like national idiots yet again.

HarryBlackwood

Land Phil. Totally correct. Well said.

I wrote my blog (thread and link elsewhere on the forum) precisely because I share your concerns.

The Facebook Page Putting Hartlepool First has been created by David Riddle, purely as a gravy train for Bilton.

When I suspected this I sent a message to Riddle asking "WTF is Derek Bilton?" Riddle's reply was:
"Just a lad from the town. Nice enough bloke. I just link him because he has about 3000 friends on FB."

So, just a lad from town. No more than that. The nice enough bloke bit is interesting.

Of course,  David Riddle was lying to me. The truth is that Riddle and Bilton are very good friends. They shared a house together at university and have been plotting for some time.

There is much more I can say about this plan to make the town a laughing stock. I'm currently researching info for a follow up blog. It's sensational. Most people in town will be shocked to the core.

If anyone can help with my research they can contact me in strict confidence on westwinds@btinternet.com.

Alternatively you can message me on here

If you'd rather talk with complete confidentiality then message me and I'll give you my mobile number.

Thank you.

DRiddle

Is derrk NOT just a lad from the town then harry? Is he NOT "a nice enough lad"?

HarryBlackwood

Poor wriggle. Politicians answer.

Did you or did you not apologise for misleading me?

Yes or no answer will do.

Pwilson

Social Media has opened my eyes to the fact there are other people who want things to change in the town.

I was shown some Facebook stuff by a friend so joined up there and found this site too.

Pwilson

Quote from: Land Phil on March 18, 2014, 10: PM
Looking at social media, my worry is Gravy is going to disgrace the town more than banana man.

Gravy doesn't conjure up any images of intelligence, more like Hartlepool potentially looking like national idiots yet again.

Have you met him?

He may not look like a model citizen but I've never heard anyone say anything bad about the man in question his only crime would be daring to be normal, more normal than 90% of our councillors and as normal as a lot of the 70ish % of people like me who see little point in voting.

I'm not a PHF or Big Gravy supporter, I'm a change things supporter and I'll be badgering everyone I know to vote in May, not for anyone in particular just to vote.

mk1

Quote from: Pwilson on March 19, 2014, 11: PM

Have you met him?

He may not look like a model citizen but I've never heard anyone say anything bad about the man in question his only crime would be daring to be normal, more normal than 90% of our councillors  .

Means little if he secretly supports every action of the  SCAB junta. He was all in favour of ending questions to councillors and he has not said a single word about MRA.
He is ever bit as culpable as the active thieves.

Pwilson

Not sure I understand what you mean there MK1.

Surely the person in question hasn't had a chance to be good or bad as a councillor? Or are we talking about different people?

mk1

Quote from: Pwilson on March 20, 2014, 12: AM
Not sure I understand what you mean there MK1.

Surely the person in question hasn't had a chance to be good or bad as a councillor? Or are we talking about different people?

My mistake.  Good job I am not one of those blokes who cant admit to error!

mk1

Normaly stuff too hot gets deleted next day. That gives the sad people still up this late the chance to get a screen grab before it vanishes!

Pwilson

Up late is one of the side affects of a working day that seems to avoid office hours.