General Election 2017

Started by steveL, April 19, 2017, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mk1

Quote from: ReturntoZenda on May 05, 2017, 07: PM
I can't bring myself to give you a brownie point but you are bang on the money about the local journo.  spineless lap dog now regurgitating other people's wisdom about the former chairman.  nauseating.
Do not upset yourself dear boy. I pay no more attention to those who mark me down than to those who promote me. I am entirely impervious to both criticism and praise!

mk1

The Mail is doing its best to spin the story by promoting all the Labour 'advantages' whilst burying the winner in the small print

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/hartlepool-fails-to-back-tees-valley-mayoral-election-as-less-than-one-in-five-vote-1-8529914

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: ReturntoZenda on May 05, 2017, 07: PM
I can't bring myself to give you a brownie point but you are bang on the money about the local journo.  spineless lap dog now regurgitating other people's wisdom about the former chairman.  nauseating.
I always thought journalists were there to report events to their readership and inform them of any developments. I did not think they were there to act as glorified PR consultants to those they should be questioning and not to give  their selective interpretation of events.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

mk1

Quote from: Riddler5 on May 05, 2017, 08: PM
I always thought journalists were there to report events to their readership and inform them of any developments. I did not think they were there to act as glorified PR consultants to those they should be questioning and not to give  their selective interpretation of events.

I believe he will have been acting on orders from Joy. She is well know for her tactic of sucking up to anyone she believes will sponsor one of those endless fake  Mail 'Best of' competitions.
She smarms and flatters in a manner that  puts Uriah Heep in the shade.

I know I shouldn't say this but I always think of Joy when that cat-fight at the UKIP Coral  comes up. Old woman with bleached hair and tons of make-up.  Tight skirt half-way up her ar*se and berating onlookers. Got Joy down to a tee!

ReturntoZenda

He doesn't work for Joy

Inspector Knacker

You beat me to it. The Mail has stuck to the sport element and appears to have kept well clear of getting too close to the clubs upper echelons.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

steveL

With the demise of UKIP, the question now is where those 11,000 votes the party totted up in 2015 are going to go? More to the point, how many are likely to go to Jeremy Corbyn? If yesterday's locals are any guide then it looks like the great proportion of them are going to go Tory and in Hartlepool, only half of those votes need to go to the Tories to put an end to Labour's 53 year tenure.

But it's worse than that for Labour.

• Also to be factored in is 'The Corbyn Effect'; not all of those 2015 Labour votes can be guaranteed to be solid. Some of those 14,076 Labour votes belong to people who will be unimpressed by the Islington Philosopher.
  • Lastly, having an atmosphere where change is in the air can only encourage more people to make the switch and yesterday's shock result that saw a Tory elected as the new Tees Valley Mayor has done that in buckets
If Labour aren't worried, they surely need to be.

Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

jeffh

Quote from: steveL on May 06, 2017, 09: AM
With the demise of UKIP the question now is where are those 11,000 votes the party totted up in 2015 going to go? More to the point, how many are likely to go to Jeremy Corbyn? If yesterday's locals any guide then it looks like the great proportion of them are going to go Tory and in Hartlepool, only half of those votes need to go to the Tories to put an end to Labour's 53 year tenure.

If Labour aren't worried, they need to be.

Hartlepool is pro-BRexit - UKIP has been discredited - Labour are pontificating - Tories are pro-BRexit.......I think a Tory victory is on the cards

DRiddle

Interesting that springer thing was buried but now as an election looms it's in the national media. Looks like the gloves are off.

jeffh

mala

roll on Thursday May 11 which is the final day for nominations for the General Election

I cannot wait to see who the other Parties are putting into the fray

If it is Broughton for UKIP I can see his votes disappearing
anyone for Dim Tim Farron's Limp Dumbs is a waste of a deposit as will any Independent wishing to stand
this leaves the Conservatives with the best chance of a change to the Town so hopefully a decent target Candidate will be produced

fred c

If... the Tories nominate a decent candidate..... and....... If........he gets full support from Central Office, with the odd cabinet minister turning and a possible visit by Tressa..... they could win the seat..

On the other hand...... even if they field a decent candidate.........but they leave the support and canvasing to the Local Tory Branch........  they are on to Plums................ the local tory mob have in more ways than 1 and on more than 1 occasion, been more of a helping hand to the Labour candidate than the tory candidate.

steveL

Wells is irrelevant. General elections are decided on Television and in the Papers
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

steveL

Anyone watch the North East bit of Sunday Politics today? A severe case of sour grapes being displayed by Labour over the Tees Valley Mayor - very tetchy indeed. There'll be a few more sphincters twitching when they read the new front page.

Certainly interesting times.

http://www.hartlepoolpost.co.uk