Politics from the cheap seats?

Started by Lucy Lass-Tick, April 29, 2021, 09: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucy Lass-Tick

Many moons ago, my primary school ran a mock election (a real one being in the offing). I was asked to represent a 
(now defunct) political party, so - along with my parents - diligently researched their policies & presented my 'manifesto'. Sadly, another pupil offered 'free sweets for all' - and won the debate. QED?

Inspector Knacker

There's only one Party who can offer 'free sweets', the rest have pockets bulging with promises, trouble being you can't eat promises. However, that depends on how gullible you are.
That said, Hartlepool has never been the sort of place where 'promises' feature prominently in elections. Probably because no one needed to promise anything of substance and no one expected it, that's the joy of a compliant electorate.
That no doubt is due to it's roll over and vote Labour history, with a sheep like following you don't need to try hard to win, you just call the flock in.
I suspect a proportion of the town vote Labour in the same way you'd put the Xmas tree up, you don't have to think about it, it's what you do. Rather like some bizarre reflex that requires no thought.
Then, they wonder why the town lags seriously behind others. Well, if you elect oafs you ain't gonna get the results you want. If you keep electing people you wouldn't employ to weed your garden for decades on end and wonder why things never change.... well that's because YOU never change and carry on electing them.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Lucy Lass-Tick