Hartlepool's bad reputation established under a Tory.....

Started by mk1, April 04, 2021, 08: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mk1

Lots of posters here (mistakenly) harp on about the good old days of their youth  when The  Hartlepools was a 'thriving community' and the naïve  belief the way to get it all back is simply elect someone from UKIP Reform The Conservative  and we can return to Canaan. For starters their memory is faulty. The decline of the towns started in the 1920s when coal was 90% of the exports from the docks and provided 20% of the jobs. Unemployment was over 50% in 1932 so the town's decline pre-dates the working memory of anyone here today.
When I looked into the national view of The Hartlepools (that of a depressed, deprived, god-forsaken area) I was surprised to find it was established in the early 1960s when we had our Tory MP! A number of today's famous  photo-journalists made their names recording the town misery and Telly producers were tripping over each other as they recorded it all for posterity.

Kerans was MP from 8th October 1959 to 15 October 1964.

1962:

https://vimeo.com/532784440

1963:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxAKfnbFWe0&ab_channel=MichaelPurves

Photos

Colin Jones
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/photos/huty-17500?phrase=huty%2017500&sort=best

Don McCullin

John Bulmer:

It was The Tory MP put Hartlepool 'on the map' with a vengance  The 'image' he oversaw and indelibly etched into the nation's psyche was wholly negative and still persists to this day.

Well done that man!

Inspector Knacker

Another sad  tumbleweed moment from the master of doom.
You really don't like this town at all with you incessant denigration of the town and it's inhabitants.
So desperate now he harks back to the last Tory MP 60, yes 60 years ago,  as a scapegoat.  He conveniently misses the intervening years and the Glory days of losing our hospital services, courts and even a shell of a police station where the Labour Council stood by like bystanders.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

akarjl2

All our yesterdays episode 2=save 5 minutes and ignore.
The Morons seemed to have gone but so have the normals.....

mk1

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on April 04, 2021, 11: AM
the Glory days of losing our hospital services, courts and even a shell of a police station where the Labour Council stood by like bystanders.

Or:

the Glory days of losing our shipyards and a railway station as a  Conservative MP  stood by like a bystander.

mk1

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on April 04, 2021, 11: AM

He conveniently misses the intervening years............
When coal and steel (two of the biggest employers in the Hartlepool area) were destroyed by a vindictive Conservative Government. Still it is comical to watch those who squealed loudest about nationalised industry are now begging the same Tory party to nationalise the remaining bits of the Hartlepool steelworks.

More Hartlepool victims of our  Conservative MP :

https://vimeo.com/532784630

akarjl2

All our yesterdays episode 3=save 5 minutes and ignore.

mk1

Perhaps we should remember how the Union-jack wavers put the town is a more positive light.  The fruitcakes used to be easy to spot. They were in UKIP. Then the UKIP bandwagon went over the cliff. It was completely wiped out at the election so they decided to change the name and try and sneak in the back door. Unfortunately (for them, not us)the Brexit Party Trojan Horse bandwagon met the same fate and was also wiped out.  Time for a new wheeze-change 'Brexit Party' to 'Independent' and see how that works.  However, though you can change your name you cant change your nature and eventually  a well-know UKIP thug got careless and started bragging about his drug dealing and pigs head plan and the others in the Party (who already knew about his disgusting behaviour) were forced to pretend to be outraged and  kick him out of the tent.   
What we see in Hartlepool is the overt UKIP racism was found to be wanting so the Party decided to change its name and try again. 3 times now they have done it and at least we should take comfort that they dare not be as openly vile as Independents as they were as UKIP.

Here we see how to 'put Hartlepool on the Map'

https://vimeo.com/532836054

Inspector Knacker

I believe that trying to get sense out of you is like a man standing in a bucket trying to lift himself up by the handle.
I can only assume your puppet masters have given you your latest orders and you are happy to do their bidding for a pat on the head. Have you considered writing your own views, because no one writes quite like you and your masters,  a committee of 'chip on shoulder' political obsessives?
The shipyards closed because they couldn't compete, like lots of other shipyards across Europe with the emerging Far East. The dock system was another factor limiting tonnage size, simple as that. Same as the steel industry, closed by a nationalised owner because the plant was uncompetitive and cheaper imports. The profitable side is still open.
You really are a political toddler screaming into the ether.

mk1

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on April 04, 2021, 02: PM

The shipyards closed because they couldn't compete, like lots of other shipyards across Europe with the emerging Far East. The dock system was another factor limiting tonnage size, simple as that. Same as the steel industry, closed by a nationalised owner because the plant was uncompetitive and cheaper imports. The profitable side is still open.

...............and there we have the double-standard. 
You spend all your timer laying the blame for everything that happened  under Labour as a direct result of their stewardship. The minute the exact same rule is applied to when your chosen political party was in charge then out comes a laundry-list of excuse as to why it had nothing to do with them. You are typical of the people who let their politics take over their life.  The sad thing is you probably see your self as open-minded.

I specifically picked the examples I used of the Tory MPs 'failure'. I could have chosen other 'failures' but I kept it simple and  knew that someone would  eventually break and start defending Kearns.  It just happened to be you.
Thanks for that.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: mk1 on April 04, 2021, 02: PM

You spend all your timer laying the blame for everything that happened  under Labour as a direct result of their stewardship. The minute the exact same rule is applied to when your chosen political party was in charge then out comes a laundry-list of excuse as to why it had nothing to do with them. You are typical of the people who let their politics take over their life.  The sad thing is you probably see your self as open-minded.

Of course I blame the incumbent Party in power if they were responsible. Doh.
Unlike you I'm am a floating voter and not a serf to a Party. It's called freedom of choice. This could explain the frothing that occurs when ever YOUR PARTY is mentioned in anything other than reverential terms.

I specifically picked the examples I used of the Tory MPs 'failure'. I could have chosen other 'failures' but I kept it simple and  knew that someone would  eventually break and start defending Kearns.  It just happened to be you.
Thanks for that.

I doubt you could 'pick' your nose without consulting several websites on the subject.
No one is 'breaking', your not George Smiley, although he is a fictional character which may mean you have something in common with him, not a lot, but that's life. So, which member of the 'committee' roster is you today, just out of interest.

akarjl2

Quote from: mk1 on April 04, 2021, 02: PM

Thanks for that.

zzzzzzzz next

mk1

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on April 04, 2021, 03: PM

But not the Conservatives when  the shipyard shut under Kearns...........

You are typical of the one-issue obsessives  who seem to infest politics Hartlepool. Proud of the fact you have no real sense of history in general  and a near total ignorance of political history.  A one-dimensional yah-boo-your party sucks-we won fcuk you mindset that dominates local social meeja in Hartlepool. It is clear from your hysterical over-reactions (to even the mildest of criticism) that you are not used to being challenged.  I guess that is one of the reasons (given the plethora of loony right-wing parties in the town) for the stagnation that blights the area.

I had my hopes raised the other day when I saw a readers letter from Hartlepool in the current Private Eye.  However your screeds brought me back to earth and this type of irrational nationalistic backward-looking jingoism  is too deeply entrenched in the body-politic of the town to reverse the last 90 years  of decline.

akarjl2

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: mk1 on April 04, 2021, 04: PM
Quote from: Inspector Knacker on April 04, 2021, 03: PM

But not the Conservatives when  the shipyard shut under Kearns...........

You are typical of the one-issue obsessives  who seem to infest politics Hartlepool.
You are the template, are you looking in a mirror as you tap away?
Proud of the fact you have no real sense of history in general  and a near total ignorance of political history.
Just an A level

A one-dimensional yah-boo-your party sucks-we won fcuk you mindset that dominates local social meeja in Hartlepool.

You put yourself above all that don't you, what fools these mortals be eh?
It is clear from your hysterical over-reactions (to even the mildest of criticism) that you are not used to being challenged. 
Oh dear you're using my words to describe you, short of imagination.
I guess that is one of the reasons (given the plethora of loony right-wing parties in the town) for the stagnation that blights the area.

In your world it's probably so.

I had my hopes raised the other day when I saw a readers letter from Hartlepool in the current Private Eye. 
I've been a paid contributor to that publication.

However your screeds brought me back to earth and this type of irrational nationalistic backward-looking jingoism  is too deeply entrenched in the body-politic of the town to reverse the last 90 years  of decline.
Well there you go then, so pop off to pastures new and convert the locals to your groovy way of 'thinking'. Then we can actually get back to discussing local matters instead of boring the pants off everybody.

Inspector Knacker

Basic fault line alert. Nk1 highlights the closure of steel and shipbuilding industries and dumps it on a MP from 60 years ago. Grays closed because they fell behind and fell by the wayside.
Was the MP supposed to cough up the cash himself?
I notice you then quietly took the references to the steel industry up a dark cul de sac and quietly strangled it. Because there was always a problem with your rant against Kearns. The South Works were being built when he left office, awkward  for you eh?... and the redundancies in steel started under a Labour government when they nationalised it.. I know because I was there at the time, how you connect that to Kearns is indicative of what passes for your 'thought' process.