No Going Back to Teesside City

Started by testing times, March 22, 2015, 08: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

testing times

This is a very frightening story. I had no idea that the decision on this was so close - an irrevocable decision by the looks of it too.

I remember very well voting to scrap Cleveland County (and it wasn't all that long ago) and one of the biggest opponents of Cleveland County was the local Labour Party. What happened?

I don't suppose that the one or two councillors who get to sit on this new authority will qualify for big, fat allowances would they?

fred c

A request for a referendum on whether or not Hartlepool becomes a part of Tees Valley Unlimited was turned down by The TorLab Mob, Once In, we can never Get Out....... Local Democracy in action........... My A**e

You could always attend the Full Council Meeting this Thursday 26th, It is on the agenda along with a Motion of No Confidence in "Handsome Ste" as ceremonial mayor.

Land Phil

Done deal, probably already have their new offices and executive roles carved up between them.

seaton

Quote from: testing times on March 22, 2015, 08: PM
This is a very frightening story. I had no idea that the decision on this was so close - an irrevocable decision by the looks of it too.

All being sorted before the Elections, as maybe some of the new (hopefully) Councillors would have voted against it ?
Another example of 'jobs for the boys' !

ashamedtobebritish

They are wanting a "Super Council" because the other Local Authorities are in debt up to their eyeballs...

Take Middlesbrough Council, they are on their last legs

Stockton & Billingham Council arnt too far behind them

It would be interesting to get a freedom of information request to see just how much debt Hartlepool Council is sitting on.

We have already lost our Housing Association to this kind of slimy backhandedness

Housing Hartlepool was sitting on at least 6 million pounds of dent before it had "no choice" but to create a Super Housing Authority "Thirteen" merging all their debts together, and as a result Hartlepool now no longer has a Hartlepool Housing Association, and service overall as a result has fallen.

Hartlepool Council Merges with Teesside we can kiss goodbye to this town altogether, and if it goes through, i hope all the old biddies who voted labour enjoy the bed they sleep in, because its full of cooties like the council.

Lay in it....

Lord Elpus

Its interesting to note that when Cleveland County was disbanded a number of Hartlepool Councillors who were also on County Councillors lost a significant part of their incomes.

They fought to end Cleveland in public, but in private would have loved to have stayed on the gravy train.

seaton

Didn't Cleveland sell a chunk of land belonging to Hartlepool before being disbanded and we got nought, think it's was used to pay some of Cleveland's debt of ?

Inspector Knacker

Bishop Cuthbert....?  just before  the unlamented death of Cleveland.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Inspector Knacker

Going back to Cleveland County....some places did really well, really well indeed, their infrastructure imptoved beyond recognition. Meanwhile, in the 22 years of its excistence this town stagnated .... we got thd odd scrap from the table.
If by memory loss or gross ignorance we are led by the ear into this marriage of inconvenience we'll end up with a town as desolate as Tumnleweed Junction....similar scenario....expensive,  not much for your money, shunned by the public but hailed by the politicians and suits as a brilliant success, a no brainer.

Inspector Knacker

In view of all these little snippets emerging, such as the Teesside Mayor, just how long has this whole business been in the planning....?

Lord Elpus

I'm sure Carl Richardson will remember the generous allowances paid by Cleveland Council.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL0Qt7IF8Q4

steveL

Excellent quote on the Front Page. eee...the things people say, eh?

http://www.hartlepoolpost.co.uk
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

steveL

When we left Cleveland County we got a bucket load of debt, shared out among the five authorities but essentially money that went into paying for the A66 improvements and you're right, Middle Warren was sold off and the money sent down the fast lane of the A19 just before CC was wound up.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Inspector Knacker

A couple of years down the line and we'll all be travelling through to Middlesbrough for anything of consequence as we stumble into backwater status...even the interchange will make sense as we'll use it as our access to Middlesbrough, we can vidsit to see what our money is being spent on there.
The most baffling thing of all, is how after fighting for years to get out of Cleveland the new generation of councillors meekly embrace it all again, like the condemned man singing on the way to the gallows.