Two-Faced Councillors

Started by craig finton, December 12, 2014, 10: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

craig finton

Garvin Claims Town  Councillors 'agree with  what we are trying to do'
More controversy surrounds the on- going hospital saga after indiscreet  Trust Chairman Garvin claimed that  Hartlepool councillors privately agree  with the Hospital Trust plans. Hospital campaigner Keith Fisher  has claimed that whilst doing his  best to curtail and close the public  meeting at Easington, Trust  Chairman, Paul Garvin was asked, from the floor, "What  about this trouble which you have with Hartlepool  Council?" To which Garvin replied, clearly, and in front of all there  present, "I have no problem with the Councillors  themselves. They have told me, behind closed doors, that  they agree with what we are trying to do". Fisher has said that although the words may not be exact,  they as near exact as to make no difference and that  'everyone was talking of nothing else on the way out.' Prior to the public meeting in Hartlepool Garvin had  attended a private meeting with the Cllrs Christopher and  Stephen Akers-Belcher together with Cllr Ray Martin-Wells.

This makes a lot more sense when you think of the record of these three councillors on the hospital issue. For God's sake, SAB sat on the trust committee that recommended the closure of the A&E >:(

fred c

Quote from: craig finton on December 12, 2014, 10: AM
Garvin Claims Town  Councillors 'agree with  what we are trying to do'
More controversy surrounds the on- going hospital saga after indiscreet  Trust Chairman Garvin claimed that  Hartlepool councillors privately agree  with the Hospital Trust plans. Hospital campaigner Keith Fisher  has claimed that whilst doing his  best to curtail and close the public  meeting at Easington, Trust  Chairman, Paul Garvin was asked, from the floor, "What  about this trouble which you have with Hartlepool  Council?" To which Garvin replied, clearly, and in front of all there  present, "I have no problem with the Councillors  themselves. They have told me, behind closed doors, that  they agree with what we are trying to do". Fisher has said that although the words may not be exact,  they as near exact as to make no difference and that  'everyone was talking of nothing else on the way out.' Prior to the public meeting in Hartlepool Garvin had  attended a private meeting with the Cllrs Christopher and  Stephen Akers-Belcher together with Cllr Ray Martin-Wells.

This makes a lot more sense when you think of the record of these three councillors on the hospital issue. For God's sake, SAB sat on the trust committee that recommended the closure of the A&E >:(

If memory serves. I believe Handsome Ste was the "Chair" of The Health Scrutiny Committee that gave the trust the Nod to go ahead.

Inspector Knacker

What seems odd about this is, if Garvin has said this why have there been no denials from the councillors... in light of a denial on their part, are we to assume Garvin was correct in what he said .....?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Lord Elpus

A person contacted Geoff Lilley regarding Garvim's comments, here's his reply;

I've been involved in trying to save services in Hartlepool Hospital (Holdforth Rd) since 2003.

I'm also Vice Chairman of Hartlepool 'Save Our Hospital' organisation.

My voting record speaks for itself, I have opposed the loss of all key services from Holdforth Road and have openly criticised the Momentum project on many occasions.

I have never had any behind doors (non public meeting) with Garvin or Foster.  Garvin comments do not apply to me.

Kindest Regards

Geoff Lilley