Council Writes to PM Over Refugees

Started by steveL, September 05, 2015, 08: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

HBC PRESS RELEASE

Published Friday 4th September 15

CIVIC leaders in Hartlepool are writing to Prime Minister David Cameron offering support in tackling the ongoing Syrian refugee crisis which has resulted in thousands of families being forced to flee their homes with nowhere to live.

Hartlepool Council's Chief Executive Gill Alexander is writing to David Cameron today following an urgent meeting with Council Leader, Councillor Christopher Akers-Belcher and other senior councillors.

Councillor Christopher Akers-Belcher said: "We've all seen the horrific images on television during the last few days as a result of the Syrian crisis and we can't just sit back and watch events unfold before our very eyes.

"We have a responsibility to play our part and provide refuge and sanctuary in Hartlepool for some of these families and we will be making this offer to Mr Cameron.

"We need to show a high degree of humanity and provide a safe haven for families during a time of unprecedented need."

Council Chief Executive Gill Alexander added: "Hartlepool has an excellent track record of welcoming refugees and asylum seekers into our local community.

"Following our offer to Mr Cameron we will be liaising with faith groups in the town and community organisations to make sure that Hartlepool is a place of welcome for any refugees who arrive here."

Hartlepool Council's Chief Executive Gill Alexander is writing to David Cameron today following an urgent meeting with Council Leader, Councillor Christopher Akers-Belcher and other senior councillors.

Councillor Christopher Akers-Belcher said: "We've all seen the horrific images on television during the last few days as a result of the Syrian crisis and we can't just sit back and watch events unfold before our very eyes.

"We have a responsibility to play our part and provide refuge and sanctuary in Hartlepool for some of these families and we will be making this offer to Mr Cameron.

"We need to show a high degree of humanity and provide a safe haven for families during a time of unprecedented need."

Council Chief Executive Gill Alexander added: "Hartlepool has an excellent track record of welcoming refugees and asylum seekers into our local community.

"Following our offer to Mr Cameron we will be liaising with faith groups in the town and community organisations to make sure that Hartlepool is a place of welcome for any refugees who arrive here."

Picture Captions.
1. Councillor Christopher Akers-Belcher
2. Gill Alexander

Press release PR16378    4 September 2015.
Issued by Alastair Rae, Public Relations Manager, on 01429 523510.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Lucy Lass-Tick

I'm amazed that CAB has actually done something of which I approve!  :o

suvin

Shouldn't this go before the Council before he makes statements like this?

no6bus

Yes let's bring in more we can't house, does the council have council houses going begging or are we simply going to line the private landlords pockets

The Great Dictator

You shouldn't talk about private landlords like that, you might need them one day.

mk1

Quote from: Lucy Lass-Tick on September 05, 2015, 11: AM
I'm amazed that CAB has actually done something of which I approve!

I suspect he is mesmerised by the money that will come with the people. The letters asking for extra funding are already being drafted.........

suvin

Dead right mk. Next thing will be an immigrant co-ordinator on £30k. Who's next in line for the gravy train? I see Sandra Belcher is already sorted.

seaton

I noticed there isn't a 'Comments Column' in the article about Tankerville Street.

fred c

It didn`t take long for a "Developer" to jump on the back of that particular Bandwagon.......... I wonder who it could have been ?

getagrip

I hope she reminds Cameron that there's no Hospital here. I doubt the refugees are all in the pink.