Jobs & Growth

Started by ARC86, May 21, 2013, 02: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

What we need is a voice; someone who knows how to play the publicity game.

Scotland has Alex and London has Boris . . . who the hell do we (the North East) have?
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

fred c

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-22642219

Is this the future for "The Big Tin Shed ???

A similar venture for the Jacksons Landing & General Marina area could be a one way for Hartlepool to improve its image, make the area the "Prime Retail" outlet & do away with Middleton Grange..... possibly re-develop the brown field site for local housing.

Maybe a bit far fetched & pie in the sky`ish but it would be better than what we have.

tankerville

Interesting indeed but if the marina was made a large retail unit just where would you be able to park? there are not sufficient spaces for a shopping complex on the marina also if people can't park their car they won't be bothered to go there. & Parking charges would be much more than H.B.C. because it's all private property.

Still I like the idea though.

ARC86

Vincent which one of the many points you have listed do you think the council are applying?

I reckon a big fat zero. The problem lies in the fact the majority of councillors have no ties or connections to the private sector, this town needs to move away from its reliance on the public sector, instead, they just sit back and rely on handouts from central government.

Fred i agree too but what are the council doing to promote the town? They could start by visiting local businesses and talking to them generating fresh ideas on how we can promote growth.

Too many people in town dare not come out of their comfort zone. Take a gamble, it can't be any worse than the stagnation this town has suffered for the past two decades

for fawkes sake

Unfortunately, HBC have fallen into the trap of simply accepting their role as managing deprivation rather than solving it. There are limits to what they can do but sitting by the telephone waiting for someone else to one day offer salvation just isn't enough.
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

Vincent

Arc

I would expect that the highly paid officers of the council are tasked to carry out marketing and promotion activities, but the leadership ... well .... Mr Stubbs ??? the new mayor and or his consort ???

The reasons why I called it blurb is that all councils of a similar size to Hartlepool will have similar documents and all will crib from each other to produce it. The officers should be driving it forward and reporting to the councillors.

Pam Hargreaves has her name on the document as the portfolio holder but she has been kicked into touch so I have no idea who has the responsibility.

In short Arc, I dont think any of the points are being applied