The Mail and the disappearing comments...

Started by DRiddle, December 30, 2013, 03: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRiddle

Looks like The Mail have been at it again removing a lot of comments which made reference to champagne.

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/local/charity-hands-out-23-tonnes-of-food-in-hartlepool-during-2013-and-need-even-more-for-next-year-1-6340214

MDT is busy stating that The Mail do not re-print press releases word for word. I respect the fact that Mark takes time to reply but regarding the replies below Freddie's comment, it would be better for The Mail to just put their hands up and admit to a massive error over the initial reporting of the peer reviews findings.

steveL

I've read the comments on the Mail site and I would like to point out that the paper only printed a second story on the Peer Group report after The Post published a very different story to The Mail's first effort. It's this willingness to accept without question any council Press Release that so winds people up. It's become a very lazy, unquestioning paper.

I've noticed, for example, that after any of the numerous horror stories that have surfaced over the One Life Centre or the treatment locals are receiving, the Hospital Trust will routinely issue a positive Press Release a few days later. The hospital car park case, for example, was followed soon afterwards by a statement from the Trust that it hoped to be given the go-ahead for the new hospital before Christmas.

As we now know - nothing happened. A good local paper would now be asking the Trust why not? There is even the possibility that the Trust has heard - has been knocked back - and are now sitting on it while they figure out how to break the news.

I really feel sorry for the local reporters because free from their shackles, I'm quite certain that they are capable of so much more.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Mr Mister

Stop moaning!

I lose posts wherever I post :/ lol

Sometimes I even take them off myself to save them the hassle..

Get over it, if you want a post to stay on, put it on very late at night and when they remove it, put it back on..

That's what a Word doc is for.. saving posts for later :)

P.S. Congratulation DRiddle on your new post.. I think you'll do a sterling job.  ???

DRiddle

It seems to have been a crazy last couple of hours on the comment board linked in above. Sensible, thought provoking comments completely deleted because they seemed to go against the party line.

Our town seems to be in SERIOUS trouble.

No one's allowed to say ANYTHING anymore.

So very very wrong.

mk1

I think she-who-must-be-obeyed is at work here. Mark seems a half-decent sort but even  he has been caught out several times recently telling outright lies and half-truths about the Mail policy.
I presume blondie sees all her free dinners(paid fby Niramax) and the bulk of the Mail add revenue (paid for by Hinge & Bracket) disappearing over the horizon if she allows genuine free comment on her watch.

Land Phil

Has the Hartlepool Mail Facebook page gone too ..or have I been blocked ?

Land Phil

I just wrote a lengthy paragraph, calling into question the credibility of The Mail and what damage they are doing to our historic paper. I asked what happens when less than 10K copies are sold.

Comments have now all gone.

fred c

It is an unfortunate position for the Mail reporters to be in, they know better than we do that the paper is in trouble, so they have to follow Editorial Policy or the end is nigh.

What has gone on in the last few hours with the Mail website is farcical, Mark Thompson must have been pulling his hair out, i would like to know Who Was Ringing Whom.

fred c

Never Mind The Comments............ Wheres the Article

It can still be accessed by clicking the link......... But i can`t find it looking through the Mail website.

Hartlepudlion

If the Mail really became a local newspaper and not just the mouthpiece of certain parties, Labour et al, it could turn its fortunes around. It needs to be investigative, challenging and beholding to none. As Johnston press has just been giving another lifeline I can't see it happening. We need the Press, ie the Mail, to go where we can't.

mk1

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/nov/01/johnston-press-bourne-experiment-peoples-paper

A bit difficult to see how the blonde bimbo could run a 'People's Paper' when she  refuses to let anything negative about her paymasters into print.