Questions at Council Democracy Shutdown

Started by Paul Thompson, May 15, 2017, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffh

Quote from: Riddler5 on May 20, 2017, 07: AM
Quote from: Foggy on May 19, 2017, 10: PM
Is it just my suspicious mind or does anyone else smell a rat with this whole business?

It is very unusual for CAB to be so vocal on Facebook, particularly engaging in conversation with Councillors who I believe he has blocked on Twitter (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong with that statement). He is doing his usual thing though... pleading innocence, having sly digs about attendance at meetings and making out that everyone else is mad! Actually the only new thing appears to be that he has learned the words 'fake' and 'news' and is seriously overusing them. Clown.  ::)

So... I'm wondering if some games are being played. I believe something similar has happened before (but I can't recall the situation).  What if the Mob are sitting back and watching everyone stir themselves up about this, then when it comes to the meeting they appear not to be in favour of the proposals/recommendations and vote differently to what is expected. This then makes the people who are up in arms about it look silly and makes the Mob look like the good guys right before the general election and some folk are about to complete their postal votes. The Fail reports that Labour save the day and stand up for democracy accompanied by a photoshopped picture of a grinning CAB alongside Mike Hill. 

I may be barking up the wrong tree but something just doesn't seem right.

On the other hand CAB's appearance on FB may just be his way of drumming up support for the Labour candidate. He is arrogant enough to think he is 'helping'
So basically, they start the fire, put it out and take the credit for rescuing themselves.
I suspect they've been made to look presentable, aka act their age, rather than dress like well fed ageing DJ's and actually indulge in political debate for which they are totally ill  equipped.
They must have been let loose for the period of the election, though a wiser move would have been a group booking on a cruise to Antarctica for several weeks. The core vote will support them and I really can't see them persuading anyone to vote in their favour,
If I was the national Labour Party I'd order a skip.
It's not a case of the core vote will support the motion, it's the whipped vote that will get it through.  Remember the hoo-hah around Jim Lindridge and CAB's pep talks before the council meeting - wouldn't surprise me if there's a committee chair in it for Jim.

Inspector Knacker

Sorry, the core vote I was referring to was the town electorate.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Foggy

Although a little part of me can smell a rat I think it's likely that the Mob will push these changes to the constitution through. That's what they do and it's something they have been working up to for years.

However, if backing the proposals was the original plan then there is a chance the plan will change when the Labour party realise the damage this could cause to Mike Hill's chances.

Putting all that aside.. It is interesting to note that CAB has only denied they want to change the meeting time. He hasn't said anything about public questions. Unless I have missed that.

fred c

720 people have signed the petition protesting at the constitutional changes, if only 10%of those make the effort to turn up at Tuesdays meeting it would be a real slap in the face to Cwistopher, who is looking more and more like the man who could bring an end to 54 years of Labour in Hartlepool.....Keep it up Cwissy, you're doing a cracking job  ;D ;D ;D

pieface

Think this comedy communication helps?

Steely Dan

I've just read through the relevant bits and I'm confused.

Are we absolutely sure the council is seeking to ban the public from asking questions at full council or is it that they want to stop repetition of questions that have already been asked at committee.

If it is the former it is a disgrace. If it's the latter it seems sensible.

Perhaps one of the independent councillors who is privy to more info than us plebs can help me out here because I'm genuinely puzzled.

seaton

I have emailed BBC Radio Tees Newsdesk, it will be interesting if they follow it up.

mk1

Quote from: pieface on May 20, 2017, 04: PM
Think this comedy communication helps?

Must have took some effort to make it that small!!!

pieface

Photo size corrected so all can see the Mike hill and comedy support act!

Johnny Bongo

I thought it was a new series of The League of Gentlemen...with some weird and bizarre characters from Royston Vasey, aka Hartlepool, holding 'Vote Labour' placards!

steveL

It occurs to me that this little proposal will have been brewing long before the General Election was called. I recall how the Tories and Labour voted en bloc to stop the log of questions submitted to the council being made available on-line. At the time, Wells gave his reason as being because a review of the constitution was already underway - the one we read about in the agenda for next Tuesday's meeting.

Up pops a General Election and the current furore surrounding these proposals and already the Tory candidate is Tweeting that the local Tories won't be supporting this after all. Meanwhile CAB makes a rather pathetic denial in The Mail even though the agenda and associated report complete with the proposals contradicting his denial are already there for all to see.

Timing is everything and we may well see some major back-tracking on Tuesday but beware - I'm sure we all remember that hasty announcement of an investigation into Stephen Akers-Belcher's lies just weeks before the 2015 election - and we all know how genuine that turned out to be.

Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Steely Dan

"I've just read through the relevant bits and I'm confused.

Are we absolutely sure the council is seeking to ban the public from asking questions at full council or is it that they want to stop repetition of questions that have already been asked at committee.

If it is the former it is a disgrace. If it's the latter it seems sensible.

Perhaps one of the independent councillors who is privy to more info than us plebs can help me out here because I'm genuinely puzzled."

Seems like this has been ignored. Any thoughts?

Steely Dan

From The Mail

The leader of Hartlepool's Labour-led council has said there are no plans to change the times of meetings to daylight hours during winter after rivals hit out at the suggestion.

Read more at: http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/council-leader-says-there-are-no-plans-to-alter-time-of-meetings-1-8550795

That's that cleared up at the very least.

This is looking more like a bit of election dirty tricks by Thompson and Riddle.

steveL

Quote from: Steely Dan on May 21, 2017, 06: AM
From The Mail

The leader of Hartlepool's Labour-led council has said there are no plans to change the times of meetings to daylight hours during winter after rivals hit out at the suggestion.

Read more at: http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/council-leader-says-there-are-no-plans-to-alter-time-of-meetings-1-8550795

That's that cleared up at the very least.

This is looking more like a bit of election dirty tricks by Thompson and Riddle.

oh dear . . . you've just lost all credibility
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

jawsbbc

TAKEN FROM   Town Of Hartlepool Politics page facebook
David Riddle
David Riddle You have literally zero credibility
18 May at 17:58

Christopher Akers-Belcher
Christopher Akers-Belcher I have been elected 3 times and I actually live in Hartlepool
LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 2 · 18 May at 18:13David Riddle As do I. See if you can get a sniff of being elected as an independent. I have a 100% record in elections too. ;-) unlike your mother-in-law . . .

· Reply · 18 May at 18:18
Christopher Akers-Belcher I am very proud in all that we have achieved running the Council with 45% less due to Tory cuts. Happy once again to meet and discuss.David Riddle And since you've decided to chirp up, can you confirm that the duplicate accounts submitted by Manor Residents Association were in fact due to fraud and false accounting by one of your councillors, and NOT a mistake by the charity commission like you said they were?
LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 2 · 18 May at 18:05

David Riddle
David Riddle That'll be the last comment from him. Coward.
LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 18 May at 18:10
Christopher Akers-Belcher I said nothing of the sort as well you know. It was our Council that alerted the police to the fraud and sought the prosecution. And it is you who is the coward given you hide behind social media and full. Council. Happy to discuss face to face any time.
LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 18 May at 18:17

David Riddle
David Riddle Dozens of witnesses will confirm you stood up and said exactly that in council. Keep digging. You're handing the Tories the seat.David Riddle By the way, can you clarify whether your husband was a trustee at manor residents association? Since you're vocal this evening.
LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 1 · 18 May at 18:22

Christopher Akers-Belcher No he asked to be but they never completed the paperwork.
LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 18 May at 18:24

David Riddle
David Riddle So just to clarify, you're 100% denying that you said the MRA duplicate accounts were due to an error by the charity commission? You're actually publicly stating that you never said that?
LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 18 May at 18:28

Colin Dunn
Colin Dunn But yet I read different in the Hartlepool mail at the time that he quit been a trustee just days after saying he wouldn't.
LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 18 May at 18:30

David Riddle
David Riddle http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/.../hartlepool-mayor...

Hartlepool mayor insists he 'will not resign' over role in crisis-hit charity
HARTLEPOOL'S ceremonial mayor has again...
HARTLEPOOLMAIL.CO.UK
LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 1 · 18 May at 18:32

David Riddle
David Riddle http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/.../manor-residents...

Manor Residents' Association faces bailiffs over unpaid £9,000...
HARTLEPOOLMAIL.CO.UK
LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 1 · 18 Mail

David Riddle
David Riddle Maybe the penny has dropped with the council leader about what he said on here earlier about the charity commission. Lol. He won't be back on here in a while.
LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 2 · 18 May at 18:40

Christopher Akers-Belcher Which bit of I am happy to meet face to face don't you understand? I am actually at Full Council as I can manage to work and attend Council meetings. 👍

LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 1 · 18 May at 18:48
David Riddle
David Riddle You don't have a real job. Why would I want to meet with you face to face? You're a proven liar.
LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 19 May at 15:24
David Riddle
David Riddle So is your husband. Zero credibility.
LikeShow More Reactions · Reply · 19 May at 15:24