Questions at Council Democracy Shutdown

Started by Paul Thompson, May 15, 2017, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggy

You could see the pain etched on their faces (the ones whose faces we could see anyway) when they had to agree to discussing the amendments on 22nd June. Should be an interesting meeting. They will be formulating their 'strategy' as we speak.

I thought Devlin was going to find a way to kick it into the long grass as usual but he didn't... though I'm not entirely sure what he said.. I'm convinced his mission is to deliberately confuse.

The effect of a general election cannot be underestimated.  ;)

As for the sound. I don't think the system is the problem as it's a major improvement on the last one. The issue is the people who choose to speak quietly and mumble. I think we all know who the main culprit is.

DRiddle

Well, if Theresa May's mantra is 'strong and stable', Akers-Belcher demonstrated his tonight, 'Weak and wobbly'.

kevplumb

A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

steveL

Noticeable absentee last night was Wells. I was told at the back-end of last week that he was planning to stay away and the Tory candidate tweeted last week that RMW would be 'voting against the proposal'. This tells us that Tory HQ was concerned about any impact. As it happens, the Labour U-Turn was so marked Wells would have been perfectly safe to attend.

Clarke made a bit of an ass of himself saying that he would never vote to limit the pubic's right to question having already voted to end supplementary questions, allowing people to ask their own questions and reduce the time allocated to public questions.

Otherwise it was a case of 'no one drop any clangers' in the run up to the election though, as we all know, the clanger had already been dropped.

Those who attended in the public gallery together with those behind the petition should give themselves a pat on the back. We learnt something last night: publlic pressure does work - but only in the weeks before an election  ;)
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Inspector Knacker

When any of the leading lights talk it's like a lecture on Astro physics by Stanley Unwin.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

akarjl

....We need to keep the pressure on especially with regards to Scabs, Mad dog and Cranney,who, in particular should be the target in view of the moronic city of culture scenario.

Cranney and culture the only connection is the first letter...as some said on the snail website

What part of there is not Tees Valley and if there was, the area is described as a valley not a city.

How much money will cwissie and co be trying to syphon off towards this load of s**t? Yet another trough to bury their snouts in. Having resigned as chairwoman of t'comitee I wouldn't be surprised if mad dog barks her way into the whole thing, we all know what a gifted orator she is.

The only saving grace is it is not until 2025. There are clownicl elections next year and hopefully the Cwemlin labour clowns will have been thoroughly violated by Labours Ethics Team ( three words that don't actually sit comfortably together in this town), if their antics contribute towards labour loosing a "safe seat", resulting in them, hopefully, being defrocked so to speak ( or actually being..)

Keep digging up the s**t and throwing it, as was proved last night some sticks, especially when it is TRUE s**t.

fred c

Looking forward to seeing the video...... a couple of things come to mind based on the comments so far.

1) The sound, I spoke to the CEO and Peter Devlin on several occasions (as did many others) regarding poor sound during meetings, the council have installed a new system that is an improvement, however, the seating position of councillors 'facing to the front' is a bad idea, but the biggest problem is the fact some councillors don't stand close enough to the mic and don't speak clearly and concisely.... Cwissy often starts ok, but then his voice gets weaker as he goes along 'I wonder in his case if it is deliberate'

2) The power of social media, we have seen with the parking U Turn in Seaton and last nights capitulation on Public Question just how effective a good social media base can be in bringing about change, if only every ward in the town had a FB page as effective and community minded as Seaton Carew News, it could and would make a difference, the moderators Joanne, Deb and Graham run a really tight ship, all things local to Seaton, but with a eye on happenings in Hartlepool that may affect the village are covered.

I hear there was a full house last night, hopefully that will continue, a few years ago we had an example of people power..... 3 men and a dog literally made tw*ts of the LabMob.......more public awareness and participation can and will impact on the decisions taken by the councils ruling group.

steveL

Aren't you banned from watching council videos, Fred?
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

kevplumb

A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!

fred c

https://youtu.be/rGa70tVYVKo

To Attend Council Meeting........... as long as I'm not a nawty boy    ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

steveL

The thing is, everyone can hear Rob Cook perfectly OK. When someone pointed out that the fact that he was facing the public might have something to do with it Alexander shook her head. In truth, lip reading as well as hearing is all part of the same process and not being able to watch people's mouth as they speak makes hearing that much harder. On top of that, making people stand to speak, moving them away from the microphones, is just plain silly. Either you have higher microphones or people stay in their seats like Cook does.

kevplumb

Quote from: fred c on May 24, 2017, 09: AM
https://youtu.be/rGa70tVYVKo

To Attend Council Meeting........... as long as I'm not a nawty boy    ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

you fred

well I never  ;)

akarjl

Quote from: fred c on May 24, 2017, 09: AM
Seaton Carew News

I wish ..because like many I don't do facial book so can't follow these sites they would get a blogger blog or something similar- it is free and they could feed their Facebook food to the blog allowing everyone to read it....but hey ho you can't have everything.

steveL

It's easy to set up an are based forum on here if there was a demand for it.