Seaton Parking Charges

Started by testing times, February 21, 2017, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucy Lass-Tick

Footage of public questions at today's Neighbourhood Services meeting regarding amendments to Seaton parking charges.  Thanks to Joanne Laws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TawiUfYFOsY&feature=youtu.be

Full version via the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yicx3sR33bs&feature=youtu.be

akarjl

What language is Maddog speaking?

So a rough survey of businesses indicates a 30 % drop in turnover and some having to reduce staff hours?

We should be asking for accounts after the "trial period" of how much revenue this is producing..still infuriates me that at the drop of a hat without any consultation HBC can start short myself an others for parking on a public highway for which I pay vehicle and council tax towards maintaining and repairing- but I guess it happens all over the country.

Bottom line is Mad dog and her mates are crucifying seaton and will reap the whirlwind when they are up for election...

jeffh

Following the councillors patting themselves on the back on how they have responded to public concerns following the consultation on May 10th, they seem to have forgotten that they wouldn't listen to the concerns of the same people BEFORE the implementation of parking charges.

I was amused when, I think it was Beck, said he didn't think there was a problem with charging at Seation whilst another councillor said there was always going to be a problem going from a free system to one of being charged - she's dead right.  Didn't our own controlling group vote against being charged for parking at the Civic Centre - alright when you have a vote isn't it.

I appreciate that some members of the public took time to address the committee but I felt they were trying to make the best of a bad job by negotiating for some reduction if the punishment. 

We need to remember that morally the correct process was not followed here - Saltburn did follow that process on the same issue - guess what happened........I note that in tonight's agenda good practice is quoted from other councils, but not this time eh!

Lord Elpus

Mad Dog and all of the committee has cost this council £1000's on this issue.

Two bits of advice for Mad Dog;

1) Next time you get another daft idea at least take Officer advice and do the consultation before you enact the restrictions.

2) take note of comments on FB re your personal hygiene and try a stronger deodorant and a mouthwash.

kevplumb

Quote from: Lord Elpus on May 23, 2017, 06: PM
Mad Dog and all of the committee has cost this council £1000's on this issue.

Two bits of advice for Mad Dog;

1) Next time you get another daft idea at least take Officer advice and do the consultation before you enact the restrictions.

2) take note of comments on FB re your personal hygiene and try a stronger deodorant and a mouthwash.
and you stop laughing at the mayor at council meetings  ;D
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

notenoughsaid

Mad Dog and others in the H,pool Mail tonight holding  a flag indicating good water quality award for Seaton .All seems a bit rich when she has just introduced a Pay to Paddle style tax by way of parking charges. Blatant hypocrit without a doubt.Shame on her.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: akarjl on May 23, 2017, 04: PM

Bottom line is Mad dog and her mates are crucifying seaton and will reap the whirlwind when they are up for election...
Trouble is she won't, she's in one of those ultra safe Labour seats where the candidate is irrelevant, they vote for the label.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Inspector Knacker

Lost in the mists of time is why these charges were ever introduced. I drive though several times a day and the empty spaces between Seaton Lane and the Staincliffe say it all.
The only problem was selfish drivers parking on chevrons and double yellow lines and the speeders, but that really is an enforcement problem. Parking charges will make no difference whatsoever to some f***wit speeding through or blocking the road because they're too idle to walk, their actions will be totally unaffected.
Therefore you can only conclude this a revenue collecting exercise.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

akarjl

Quote from: Riddler5 on May 24, 2017, 07: AM

Trouble is she won't, she's in one of those ultra safe Labour seats where the candidate is irrelevant, they vote for the label.

She might, but some of the others might not be "available" if more dirt is dug up.

Lord Elpus

Quote from: akarjl on May 24, 2017, 07: AM
Quote from: Riddler5 on May 24, 2017, 07: AM

She might, but some of the others might not be "available" if more dirt is dug up.

I would not bet on Mad Dog being in a safe Labour ward, there's a long history of Labour Councillors being ditched by their own party in so called safe wards.  Mad Dog knows just how vunerable she is.

Ray Waller, Russell Hart, Brian Hanson, Gweneth Hanson, Maureen Goosey, and many more so called Labour Leaders have all been culled from within their own party. 

Especially if Daddy Beltcher has political ambitions, she could well end up as toast or having to fight for a ward like Seaton Carew.

akarjl

I would hope, after the parking fiasco ANY labour candidate thinking of running for Seaton should look elsewhere?

steveL

It was always a revenue raising exercise and goes back to the source of the council making £144,000 less from car parking charges in the town centre than it had budgeted for - introducing charges at Seaton was their way to make up the shortfall. Only after that decision was made did they start thinking of reasons to justify it. As you say, the problem with lazy dickheads(more often than not 4x4, Audi and BMW drivers) parking on the chevrons was always one of enforcement.

All of that said, I have serious doubts about the revenue this will raise.

What was needed was a simple acknowledgement that they had over-estimated the parking charge revenue from the Shopping Centre as a result of the poor shopping facilities it provides compared to other places.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

steveL

It's always a good way of spotting the Labourites who are out of favour.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

akarjl

Just had this screen shot sent to me: