Local elections

Started by Foggy, April 29, 2015, 10: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggy

There has been a lot of talk on the forum regarding the General Election but not much discussion about the local elections.  I thought I would rectify that seeing as there is only a week to go  ;)  I think most people have drawn their own conclusions about who will be our MP on the morning of May 8th but for me the local elections are much more interesting.

I can't pretend to be an expert on local politics (far from it) but here are my thoughts:

Rural West - I'm sure George is a nice bloke but an effective Councillor he is not.  Unfortunately he will probably still get in with UKIP coming closest.

Burn Valley - Hopefully PHF, probably Labour unfortunately.

De Bruce - Again, probably Labour.

Fens & Rossmere - This is a tough one.  I think it will be close between Michelle McIntyre and Jim Lindridge.  Alan Clark's win last year was a surprise but I'm hoping history doesn't repeat itself.

Foggy Furze - This is my ward so my vote will be going to Darren Price.  I think it will be close between PHF, UKIP and Labour.  Hopefully Cranney will have upset enough people to see that he isn't re-elected.

Hart - I would like to see Jeff Moriarty win this one.  Keith Fisher standing will take some votes from him but hopefully the vote won't be split too much.  The last thing they need is Beck sneaking back in.

Headland & Harbour - Quite a lot of candidates in this ward so I think it will be close between Labour and PHF.  Hopefully Steve will sneak it.  UKIP will get a fair few votes but I can't see Broughton getting anywhere near.

Jesmond - Fingers crossed Keith Dawkins is re-elected. The last thing we need is another Belcher in the chamber.

Manor House - Close between Labour and UKIP. Not sure.

Victoria - Difficult one with the current Councillor standing down.  Between PHF and Labour. Maybe PHF, just.

Seaton - Would be very surprise is Paul Thompson isn't re-elected.  Thank god he changed his mind about standing down.

Balotelli

De Bruce - Very weak line up of candidates.  Heard from none of them apart from a generic Labour leaflet delivered by SAB and Marjorie James.  I'm assuming that Labour assuming a victory and everyone else not fighting and putting up paper candidates.

Manor House - Not sure Labour are strong here, having spoken to a few people UKIP have a presence among some of the less politically educated residents of the ward.  Typically these would be the people who wouldn't normally bother to vote but the GE might bring them out making this year a bit of a wild card.  Shel Winspear is the best candidate there by a country mile in terms of actual ability and knowledge.

Headland & Harbour - Robert Price is another very good candidate with a wealth of knowledge on all subjects and especially the Headland area.  He's been involved in a lot of campaigns and is well known on the Headland.  Robert would fight the people's corner and do it very well.  Having spoken to the people on the Headland, they're keen on one of their own but not sure if Shane meets that criteria as he's still tainted by the Conservative brush I'm afraid.  Shame because he's a man of integrity.

SRMoore

Quote from: Balotelli on April 30, 2015, 07: AM

Headland & Harbour - Having spoken to the people on the Headland, they're keen on one of their own but not sure if Shane meets that criteria as he's still tainted by the Conservative brush I'm afraid.  Shame because he's a man of integrity.

Thankfully, and despite Roberts best efforts to paint me otherwise, in my experience of canvassing the ward so far this isn't the case at all. Many people are actually congratulating me for walking away and now standing as an independent as many suggested I do years ago.

And when ardent Labour supporters like my dad (among others) send me messages like "Thank God for that son. I can actually vote for you now" I know I'm alright lol.

Balotelli

Shane,

That's good to hear, I was afraid their reputation might still follow you.  I think you and Robert both have the qualities to do a good job, albeit with differing political outlooks.

I do think you're well out of the Conservatives both locally and nationally.

Foggy

Shane - I would love to see the look on RMW's smug face if you got elected... It would make my day  ;D  Having said that, I would prefer to see Steve win this year and you next year.  ;)

lynda

No disrespect  Balotelli but us less politically educated residents on the manor are voting Ukiip to hopefully get rid of one of the three stooges.  :D

steveL

Well it wouldn't make my day  ;D; but even I would admit it would come a very close second - poetic justice and all that   ;)
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

lynda

Oh god I agree. And im burning the tea  :)

steveL

Quote from: lynda on April 30, 2015, 05: PM
No disrespect  Balotelli but us less politically educated residents on the manor are voting Ukiip to hopefully get rid of one of the three stooges.  :D

I think UKIP will win Manor. The turnout in Manor is always pathetic in local elections - I think they managed 9% one year - but the boost with it being a General Election as well will up the turnout and those votes, in the Manor at least, will predominantly go to UKIP.

Can you have three bookends?
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

DRiddle

QuoteShel Winspear is the best candidate there by a country mile in terms of actual ability and knowledge.

That's not difficult really is it?

Unfortunately, the likely winner on that ward has a face redder than the work trousers of an inattentive phlebotomist.

lynda

I know what your saying David. I suspect if Angie was a candidate she would still get  votes. But the word seems to be out about Labour. Ukip stickers on windows.., peoples statuses on facebook. Even my mother who is 80 this year and is on facebook lol is very against Barclay. Her words this morning were" hes not a proper army bloke"(because my dad did 22 years army service) so she's voted Ukip.We can only hope.

7g2b

CAB knocking on doors in Hart ward. Apparently SCAB  didn't say he was going to a funeral, he'd just come out of hospital when the tribunal was held, Newcastle council should have taken this into account and it's all one big lie on behalf of the MAIL !!
I've always said you should never believe what you read in the papers hahaha

grim reaper

Well done Lynda, I'm pleased to see the bullying and hectoring from people on here hasn't put you and your mates off voting for who YOU want to vote for.
Although there are some Wikipedia little tin Gods on this site, I was a tad surprised to see Fred c's comment ascribing UKIP voters to Nazi's.  :(
Lots of people are voting UKIP for tactical reasons and to besmirch their characters in such a way is despicable.
Is Lynda to be called a Nazi Fred?  :-[

But this is how it goes these days; Like the furore over the 'Bob Marley' visit to Carlisle. No 'blacking up' as it may cause offence.
The only people causing a fuss are anally retentive WHITE Guardianista's.
A number of black people, including footballers, have stated there isn't an issue.
It isn't to insult blacks, it is a homage to Bob Marley.
But wait, when Sol Campbell painted HIS face white for an advert recently, there was a strange silence from the Guardianista's! Why no outcry then? Because they are bloody hypocrites.

You and your mates vote UKIP Lynda and rid the Manor of the tainted rubbish.

steveL

Jeez...they just don't know when to stop, do they?

mk1

Quote from: grim reaper on April 30, 2015, 07: PM

But this is how it goes these days; Like the furore over the 'Bob Marley' visit to Carlisle. No 'blacking up' as it may cause offence.
The only people causing a fuss are anally retentive WHITE Guardianista's.
A number of black people, including footballers, have stated there isn't an issue.

Name them.

Remember now the issue is 'blacking up' and not dressing as Bob Marley.