Why such interest in UKIP

Started by Mican, November 04, 2014, 11: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

Quote from: Mican on November 04, 2014, 12: PM
Quote from: Land Phil on November 04, 2014, 12: PM
UKIP is full of right wing Tories that will do nothing ago address the inequality between workers and executives, neither will they save the NHS from privatisation or stop our homes from being tracked under.

What is to like about them, they like a pint of bitter like you ?

Please read my post again, I didn't ask what they are about or what is to like about them, simply why so much interest in them.

I don't need to read it again; you need to grasp the concept of past and present tense. UKIP were approached by PHF but it fell on deaf ears - either that or there wasn't enough grey matter between the ears to understand what was being offered.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Mican

Quote from: steveL on November 04, 2014, 03: PM
Quote from: Mican on November 04, 2014, 12: PM
Quote from: Land Phil on November 04, 2014, 12: PM
UKIP is full of right wing Tories that will do nothing ago address the inequality between workers and executives, neither will they save the NHS from privatisation or stop our homes from being tracked under.

What is to like about them, they like a pint of bitter like you ?

Please read my post again, I didn't ask what they are about or what is to like about them, simply why so much interest in them.

I don't need to read it again; you need to grasp the concept of past and present tense. UKIP were approached by PHF but it fell on deaf ears - either that or there wasn't enough grey matter between the ears to understand what was being offered.

Hate to say this but you are on the wrong thread, you will note this was a quote from Land Phil that you have highlighted and replied to.   What were you saying about "grey matter".

Mican

Quote from: mk1 on November 04, 2014, 03: PM
Quote from: Mican on November 04, 2014, 03: PM
why not have a day off and simply answer a simple question?

Did I not do that earlier?

Quote from: mk1 on November 04, 2014, 12: PM

It is very simple. There are a lot of  UKIP members and shills on the forum..

Sorry not good enough, what you seem to be implying is that only people who are UKIP members or shills are posting about UKIP, so what are you Ray a shill or a "closet" kipper?

steveL

I seriously doubt if Ray Wells posts on this forum. To use a council word, the Spam Filter on this forum is quite 'robust' and anything pretending to be something that it isn't is readily filtered out.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Mican

Quote from: steveL on November 04, 2014, 03: PM
I seriously doubt if Ray Wells posts on this forum. To use a council word, the Spam Filter on this forum is quite 'robust' and anything pretending to be something that it isn't is readily filtered out.

Can't be that 'robust' there are people on here pretending to be intelligent.  boom boom.

Now to get back to the origin of the thread WHY SUCH INTEREST IN UKIP?  I have put in capitals for the benefit of those with alledgedly below average intelligence, I will be quite happy to hear your answers/views/opinions indeed anyones if it has to do with the thread.  I thank you.

DRiddle

In answer to the initial post, this forum, certainly for as long as I've used it, has always been a haven for both UKIP supporters as well as those or a more reasonable, balanced mind-set.

Go back a few years and you could start a thread about toffee apples and somehow or other Kipperdip or someone would spin it to being about Brussels.

The forum and especially the main page are a different animal now though. The Hartlepool Post has been primarily responsible for some significant developments both within HBC and in the law courts.

I appreciate there's an election on the horizon, but I really hope we don't end up where we were 3 years or so ago on here, that being with every topic turning into a UKIP party political broadcast. 

crisstw

in answer to Micans question/statement:
QuoteWHY SUCH INTEREST IN UKIP
When I look at the forthcoming elections & UKIP I'm reminded of Brewsters' Millions ... in such that a vote for UKIP is a just like:

it appears to be a protest vote. It certainly will be if UKIP win in Hartlepool.

craig finton

I would have thought it obvious why there was increased interest in UKIP. With so many people fed up with Mr Wright, including a lot of Labour voters, UKIP look like they will pick up a significant ant-Wright vote which may possibly be enough to be Wright's downfall. To anyone interested in politics this makes for an 'interesting' situation.

It's equally obvious that a lot of people thinking of voting UKIP to achieve that end might well be put off if UKIP plan to claim any such victory as an endorsement for their own beliefs and it looks like that's exactly what they will do.

From reading all of the posts its sounds as if the local UKIPPERS aren't helping allay those fears either through their poor performance as councillors and/or their exaggerated triumphalism. Hartlepool is NOT a UKIP town but if they box clever and don't say or do stupid things they might just get a UKIP MP by default.

THAT is why there is so much interest in UKIP - we might be looking at a Monkey style 'none of the above' General Election vote but more UKIP councillors like the silent two we already have is a REALLY bad idea if the local Labour lot are to be properly scrutinised.

mk1

Quote from: craig finton on November 04, 2014, 05: PM

From reading all of the posts its sounds as if the local UKIPPERS aren't helping allay those fears either through their poor performance as councillors and/or their exaggerated triumphalism. Hartlepool is NOT a UKIP town but if they box clever and don't say or do stupid things they might just get a UKIP MP by default.

They are convinced they are  home and dry and it will be their undoing. Note how  they have ignored the Manchester Police Commisioner vote. I am sure it was mentioned  here they were going to win but since the result total silence on the subject.
I have to say that I would not normaly consider a xenophobic far-right Party under normal circumstances but I believe they will not get enough MPs to be anything other than a minor nuisance to proper government. I will use them to get rid of a useless MP and a complacent Party. Labour need a good hard kick in the bol*locks and I will use UKIP to deliver it.
I do not, nor will I ever subscribe to the UKIP ethos of blaming every ill on foriegners, believing an exit from the EU will usher in a new age of empire or its complete suplication to the tobacco and drink industry. UKIP are a minority and will never achieve anything unless they attaract normal thinking people. The more I see posted here the more I wonder if they  might not be worth the risk.

My advice to the devout one issue UKIP stalwart?
STFU!

DRiddle

In fairness, maybe that's why George and Tom have stayed silent.

All it would take is one "Bongo Bongo Land" or "abort the disabled" type comment from a regional UKIP councillor and even the most 'tempted' of protest voting middle of the road voter will run a mile and just not bother voting at all.

Even so, my view is that they have an obligation to 'get involved' in the chamber and take Labour on head on.

Until the UKIP lads shows they have the stomach for that fight, the choice in the GE/Locals for me is simple.

Hold your nose and vote UKIP (if PHF don't put up a candidate) at national level, and vote PHF or a strong independent in the locals.

It's that simple.

A Tory vote outside of West Park is a wasted vote and a Liberal Democrat vote is a wasted vote anywhere.

The people need to get out and vote and vote tactically.

Mican

Thank you, we are getting there, there are those (probably quite right) putting a lot of blame on UKIP supporters blaming the EU for everything, with others blaming UKIP for everything, but I am quite sure with the state of this town council we could all forget about UKIP for the time being and concentrate on the real issue.

Sadly this sort of comment dosn't help.

Quote from: DRiddle on November 04, 2014, 04: PM
In answer to the initial post, this forum, certainly for as long as I've used it, has always been a haven for both UKIP supporters as well as those or a more reasonable, balanced mind-set

By the way teach, should this not be "of"? "as well as those or a more reasonable, balanced mind-set"

one direction

Quote from: craig finton on November 04, 2014, 05: PMHartlepool is NOT a UKIP town . . . .

Hartlepool has been quite a strong location for UKIP for several years. The 2004 Westminster by-election put them on the map here [1] and they got their first councillor back in 2006 [2].

[1] http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3705866.stm

[2] http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/4975086.stm

DRiddle

QuoteBy the way teach, should this not be "of"? "as well as those or a more reasonable, balanced mind-set"

It's called a typo. The R and the F are next to each other on a QWERTY keyboard.

Look, there's always a shift to the right in times of economic trouble. Go back through history in any democracy. The worse the economy, the greater the lurch to the right.

2015 will be no different. UKIP will win a few seats, maybe even a few councils, Johnny Foreigner will get the blame for all the evils of the world and in a couple of years it'll all calm down and people will revert to type.

Local UKIPpers seriously need to stop believing the hype or you'll undo your campaign right at the time you need to keep the momentum going.

As I've said before, Hartlepool may well far to UKIP, but that wont be because of UKIP.

Party Pooper

Why indeed ! The answer ( and this opinion ) is that UKIP are becoming very good at propaganda and creating the myth that they are well supported and popular. If you tell a lie enough times more people will believe it, however they very rarely if ever live up to their hype. The Manchester commissioners vote as pointed out earlier in this thread is a point in question. Last night we had Beazontoast indulging himself on this forum practicing the Gobel tactics. "3rd most popular party" he claimed they are, really doesn't stand up to scrutiny though does it?
Earlier this year David Coburn the UKIP MEP claimed he was greeted in the streets in Glasgow by cheering crowds upon his return to his birth city. No one actually witnessed this only David, and a week later he failed miserably to attract any crowd or media apart from one reporter to his staged press conference in a Glasgow supermarket cafe. He and his fellow UKIPPERS all 10 of them were asked to leave the supermarket by the manager who called the police to get them moved. Hardly cheering crowds. But it is their practice of talking themselves up and people falling for it.
But be careful I fully understand the anger, frustration and disappointment the people of this town feel with all of the major political parties both locally and nationally. I will not vote in any local election or general election for any of them, but neither will I vote for UKIP under any circumstances for the the following reason. Any sizeable vote they get will only add to their inflated claims of their popularity and more dangerously they will claim popular support for their right wing racists policies. The fact that it is/was protests votes will not see het light of day. So to all who are considering a protest vote, I am with you, but I would vote Moster Looney rather than UKIP it is less dangerous.

Party Pooper

Quote from: DRiddle on November 04, 2014, 06: PM
In fairness, maybe that's why George and Tom have stayed silent.

All it would take is one "Bongo Bongo Land" or "abort the disabled" type comment from a regional UKIP councillor and even the most 'tempted' of protest voting middle of the road voter will run a mile and just not bother voting at all.

Even so, my view is that they have an obligation to 'get involved' in the chamber and take Labour on head on.

Until the UKIP lads shows they have the stomach for that fight, the choice in the GE/Locals for me is simple.

Hold your nose and vote UKIP (if PHF don't put up a candidate) at national level, and vote PHF or a strong independent in the locals.

It's that simple.

A Tory vote outside of West Park is a wasted vote and a Liberal Democrat vote is a wasted vote anywhere.

The people need to get out and vote and vote tactically.
Or that God is punishing us with floods because of homosexuals as claimed by UKIP councillor David  Silverster from Henley on Thames in January this year.
I note he refused to comment when asked why we have had such dry weather since gay marriage was legalised.
Now you know why the Hartlepool UKIP councillor have been told to keep their mouths shut. If I was Mr UKIP parliamentary candidate I would tell them all to keep their mouths shut.
But be patients there will be some almighty blunders by the Kippers, they cant help it .