Hartlepools' electorate have spoken.

Started by Inspector Knacker, May 04, 2012, 06: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

christine blakey

Hi Vincent, I watched George Morris and Arthur Preece switch their decisions on the Freeman for the Town positions in order the meeting closed and in George's words to Chris Simmons at the end, he said "You owe me one!"

I have also noted other times when there is no objections to poor decisions.

Grant it, he might have done things in his Ward, but I really think it is an "All or nothing" so if you make decisions that the electorate will not like (as was the Freeman choices), you deserve criticism.

Maybe if we did pass appropriate criticism in a constructive way, we would get the Council working for us as it should be?

Vincent

you have lost me christine - politics is all about compromise (you scratch my back and I will scratch yours) and its in the opinion of the audience if any decision is "poor".
You dont get re-elected something like 8 times by your ward without having done good things - give credit where credit is due.

This site is a revelation and will influence what happens in the chamber, especially how PHF carries out its duties

Keep up the good work HTH

christine blakey

I am pleased to hear positive things such as work in the ward, but I have seen the other side and the 'opinion' of the electorate has sadlyside lined Arthur.  Maybe he will take stock and consider next moves, he has said he is not giving up.

At 84, I must say that he has done well to keep going.  I like to see people in their older years standing up for the town as well as I would like to see young members of the communities to put up for council.

notinshadow

Quote from: Vincent on May 04, 2012, 12: PM
Please explain your comments regarding Arthur, he has dedicated a quarter of a century to the people of Hartlepool and should be rewarded by being made a Freeman of the Borough (rather him than Mandy)

Sorry Vincent I don't want to be blunt but he should have called it a day a while ago, as for Freedom of the Borough I would rather him and Mandy get nothing..nothing at all.

The Great Dictator

Your complaints have fallen on deaf ears so far Christine..

christine blakey

There is slight movement now.  That is all that can happen when you have a culture to break down.

I have noted the difference that is made when complaining as a group rather than an individual.

beanzontoast

S.Talking, The electorate are not stupid, some voted and because of the freedoms gained for them from 2 world wars, and have have made their free choice, those that didn`t vote however have also had their freedom to choose. for those that voted for someone other than Labour, they have the right to complain when you get higher taxes and more, always higher and always more to pay for it. Those that didn`t vote have no right to complain, either way Hartlepool got what it wanted. One point i will disagree with you is that you need to look at the big picture in that Labourl may have won Hartlepool, but another Party won much more on the night, bet you cant guess which one, and why.

notinshadow

Sorry to butt in but I disagree with the last couple of lines.

P.H.F. didn't win that much really.

S.G. G.L. A.L. would have got in anyway in my view, so that leaves one new guy that got in out of 16 entering on P.H.F. behalf.

beanzontoast

You are right P.H.F. didn`t win that much, it wasn`t them that won big time last night.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: beanzontoast on May 04, 2012, 05: PM
You are right P.H.F. didn`t win that much, it wasn`t them that won big time last night.

Maybe the 'glittering prizes' went to the existing squatters, but P.H.F. made a pretty decent impact for newcomers.

steveL

was it the 'I have the right to whinge without having to get off my own ar** and vote' Party?
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Julie noted

LlTa & beanzontoast;
You are welcome to your opinion of the results but to say 'PHF didn't win that much really' is extremely disingenuous.  ???
If that is the case, neither did labour! 

labour got over 22,000 votes.

A brand new party, 6 months old with little financial back-up collected over 9,000 votes.  :)

As a 'half full' type of person, I consider that on it's way to 50% of labour's vote.  ;D

As I said, not bad for a new party.

Now if you want to talk about a poor show....look at the tory vote; 5,000.  :'(
Now THEY didn't win much really!  :-[

notinshadow

Tories, UKIP, Greens, Libs all blew out.

G.L. S.G. A.L. were always going to get in, in my view.

That leave 1 out of 16 had a result.

At that rate it will take a long time to get overall power of the town, infact at your age you might not see change in your lifetime.

Unless P.H.F. get the public behind them and you clearly can't do that with two or three meeting over a few months period and last night showed that..

I would like to see P.H.F. do well and turn Labour over but the problem I have is what state will the town be in if that happened.

I mean your leader last night thought the best course of action was to call me an a*r**o** and I had not said a word to him but he was upset that his wife was having a reasonable debate with me over her voting or not voting in this case to save the hospital.

Pretty grim really, I bet she was in real trouble from him when the got home, he clearly wasn't happy about it.

Now if that is the behaviour and views and opinions of you leader your bang in trouble mate in my view.

My heart wanted Stevel and Fredc to do well and after meeting the old soldier and the lady on the firm last night, wanted them to do well too, as I think they would be good for the town as a whole.

But P.H.F. need to sort it's leadership out, as they cost themselves vote by their conduct.

I was shocked S.A. didn't get past the post but understand to a point why.

So now P.H.F. have to lick their wounds and put some structure to what they are trying to do in order to get further next time round.

the daily worker

The crushing defeat of the out of town landlord and steveL in Headland & Harbour was truly the result of the night. Allison thought he was a shoe-in, what a joke.

beanzontoast

T.D.W. Who is the out of town landlord, and isnt politics wonderful.