NE Mayor one step closer.

Started by Stevef, July 08, 2015, 06: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevef

It looks like the Northeast Combined Authority is already starting to moving towards having an elected mayor for the NE.

"Although the North East Combined Authority has previously said it was opposed to the imposition of a region wide mayor, today it said that the authority "will also consider appropriate models of governance" as part of detailed discussions on a devolution deal"

It seems that principle is not going to be allowed to stand in the way of the CNEA getting its hand on substantial amounts of government cash.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/13373480.Council_leaders_hold__quot_very_positive_quot__talks_over_North_East_devolution/?ref=rss

You are what you do. It is what it does. Everything else is illusion or Delusion.

Johnny Bongo

I'll bet my house that certain ex Mayors and their 'associates' on Hartlepool Council, already have their CV's/ interview spiel/ etc, written out....and the (expected) money spent on a few holidays to some faraway exotic countries! I wasn't including Russia in the list, although I'm certain that many of the majority party ;) would enjoy a visit there and no doubt gain a few ideas on how to control the people even more!   

Concerned

Why are you so worried?  The North East Combined Authority (NECA) doesn't include Hartlepool.  It is Durham, Northumberland and the Tyne and Wear Authorities.  Good old Hartlepool is part of the Tees Valley Combined Authority which is separate altogether.

testing times

Quote from: Concerned on July 08, 2015, 11: PM
Why are you so worried?  The North East Combined Authority (NECA) doesn't include Hartlepool.  It is Durham, Northumberland and the Tyne and Wear Authorities.  Good old Hartlepool is part of the Tees Valley Combined Authority which is separate altogether.

Yes, Teesside didn't want to be part of the NECC because it thought it would be too focussed on Newcastle but is perfectly happy to drag Hartlepool into its own where everything is focussed on Middlesbrough. In the meantime, Mallon is filling in his time as an odd-job man for Wynyard's Musgrave while he waits for the Teesside City Mayoral elections.

Inspector Knacker

Tees Valley combined authority..... the little brother in the shadows. Some parts will benefit from its creation and some will just be there to make up the numbers and stagnate. Guess which camp we'll be in.

Just as a matter of interest... once all the major powers have been put on a handcart and pushed into the sunset to Middlesbrough, never to return ( shades of the North Tees/Wynyard saga come to mind ) just what powers will remain, grass cutting or some other banal function..? It's only benefit will be the political equivalent of a Canadian seal cull in the council chamber, as with so little to be administered the councillors will be mostly surplus to requirements. That would be the icing on the headstone.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.