Integrity vs £££££

Started by Lord Elpus, August 28, 2014, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Elpus

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28962233

The real world, money (£85K pa) overrules principal in most cases.  Sad.

marky

He should resign but are we falling into a trap here? As I understand it, Police Commissioners haven't been around for that long and although some of the abuse happened on his watch most of it did not. I'm a bit worried that with the Press focusing on this guy, we are more than a little off target as most of the social workers and police officers who totally failed in their responsibilities are still out there somewhere inflicting their questionable professional standards on others.

This episode serves as another example of how reluctant people in public service are to accept their responsibilities let alone 'do the honourable thing'. As far as I know, only one guy has resigned and no one has been sacked. I have watched this issue being covered on the news over the last two days and the number of times that I have heard the excuse ' we have put new systems in place which should ensure that these things never happen again' is unbelievable.  I guess that it must be on Page 1 of the public service manual of excuses to give if you ever make a complete c**k-up of things.

Stevef

Quote from: marky on August 28, 2014, 02: PM
He should resign but are we falling into a trap here? As I understand it, Police Commissioners haven't been around for that long and although some of the abuse happened on his watch most of it did not.

I had the same thought, but he was a senior council member responsible for children's services during the time when the abuse was taking place. During that time he was at the very best oblivious to what was going on.

You have to wonder what he is oblivious to while working as a Police and Crime Commissioner.

You are what you do. It is what it does. Everything else is illusion or Delusion.

for fawkes sake

I keep having to remind myself of the figure - 1,400 - I'd say that was well passed the threshold for off-the-shelf excuses.
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."