Talk the Talk - Just Like Hitler

Started by steveL, August 10, 2014, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

It seems some people just haven't got the sense that they were born with - with the country in the middle of commemorating one war against Germany, a UKIP MEP tells prospective candidates to emulate the speaking style of the guy who started the next.

With so many lose cannons on board it's inevitable that UKIP will eventually sink its own ship.

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/uk/ukip-mep-in-hitler-advice-row-1-6777514
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

DRiddle

I think what's arguably more interesting that the story itself is that The Hartlepool Mail have opted to print it.

The national press has been full of articles highlighting UKIP bloopers such as this for years. But I don't think I've seen one covered by The Mail.

I think this will be the first of many in the run up to next May.

Welcome to Hartlepool Philip, twinned with Pyongyang.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: DRiddle on August 10, 2014, 10: AM
I think what's arguably more interesting that the story itself is that The Hartlepool Mail have opted to print it.

Let's hope the Mail are going to do it for all the partys.......?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

seaton

Quote from: DRiddle on August 10, 2014, 10: AM

The national press has been full of articles highlighting UKIP bloopers such as this for years. But I don't think I've seen one covered by The Mail.

I think this will be the first of many in the run up to next May.

Welcome to Hartlepool Philip, twinned with Pyongyang.

Let's be honest the Mail will always go out of their way to criticise anyone who stands against or speaks out about the Labour Party !

Inspector Knacker

I find it odd because our neutered local paper doesn't do politics.....now organise a competition for the cutest three legged unicycyling Yorkshire Terrier who can do a Michael Jackson impression to be judged by some local dignitary and they are without equal......... but politics.....investigative questioning politics...?
Cute, irrelevant frothy chatter ...in print.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Mican

This person also mentioned people like Churchill, Blair, Martin Luther King as well as Hitler, as people whose style, not content could be studied.  Why were these people not mentioned, remember Blair's illegal attack on Iraq.  I honestly thought that after the elections, these pathetic snipes at UKIP would end and bring to notice more relevant things instead of nitpicking.

DRiddle

QuoteI honestly thought that after the elections, these pathetic snipes at UKIP would end and bring to notice more relevant things instead of nitpicking.

No chance. It's politics, anything goes. This will be the first of many snipes by The Mail against UKIP in the run up to May.

In terms of the question of Hitler's public speaking... It's a no brainer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPwXmc14EMg

steveL

An academic argument about whether the guy was a good public speaker or not rather misses the point that I was making. That point is that that anyone with his political head screwed on the right way would have the nouse not to go near the subject - especially in a year of commemoration. Let me make it clear - Hitler was a BAD guy and an above average talent for speaking in public hardly qualifies as mitigating circumstances for instigating the death of an estimated 75 million people.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

DRiddle

Agreed. I remember when Bryan Ferry got himself in hot water a few years back for praising the iconography of the Nazis.

Not a good idea.

mk1

Quote from: DRiddle on August 11, 2014, 07: PM
Agreed. I remember when Bryan Ferry got himself in hot water a few years back for praising the iconography of the Nazis.

Not a good idea.

Its been going on for generations-even 'Flower Power' children  had the bug.

Chris Farlowe had a shop selling  Nazi memorabilia

http://youtu.be/bpDjbul0WyE

Mican

Sorry to disagree with you, here we have a man speaking at a seminar on public speaking and mentioning Hitler along with a number of other people, if this had been said by anyone other than a UKIP MP, we would probably have heard nothing of it.  Here we have a political party whose main (possibly only) policy is to get the UK out of the EU, something that millions of people agreed with and voted for them, something that many sitting MP's of other parties agree with.

Yet for some reason or other there has become an almost childlike obsession with picking up things said by UKIP and then twisting them totally out of context with comments like "One of his MEPs training young candidates to speak like Hitler? Simply unbelievable."  Are the main parties so scared of them they have to resort to this.

Surely there are more important things to think of/be worried about than this, like the Deputy Leader of the Government, Nick Clegg saying "people caught with drugs shouldn't go to jail" or the French politician saying that the illegal immigration problem in Calais should be the responsibility of Britain.

Perhaps if the people in/trying to be in power, dealt with the realities of life, they wouldn't have to worry about UKIP or are they so bereft of ideas this is the easy way out?