Stop Bothering Us!

Started by for fawkes sake, January 12, 2014, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

for fawkes sake

I picked this up from the HBC Press Releases on the HP FrontPage and it made me think just how far we have moved from Bevan's dream. Apart from what looks like an increasing requirement for self-diagniosis, I wondered if it had occurred to anyone within the upper echelons of the local NHS that one of the reasons for the increased numbers at A&E is that they are choosing not to bother with the Park Road First Aid Centre and are instead driving their relatives direct to North Tees. How many stories have we read of people going to Park Road only to be misdiagnosed or simply delayed before eventually being directed to North Tees?

Isn't it rather obvious to anyone but those who refuse to accept it that 'the new model' for A&E isn't working? We're told that regional A&E Departments are 'extremely busy' but we have had no snow as yet so the usual excuse of high numbers of limb breakages from icy falls has yet to make an appearance.

Can anyone imaging a private company blaming its customers for the high demand for its products?

The NHS is urging the public to only visit A&E or call 999 if they have a life threatening or critical condition.

All hospitals in the region and the ambulance service are currently extremely busy and are asking for support in focussing on emergencies.  People using these services for minor conditions can add to this pressure and take up valuable time needed to treat critical cases.

Members of the public are encouraged to consider other options when they are ill and it's not an emergency, such as taking care of themselves at home, phoning NHS 111, visiting a local pharmacist for advice if they're unsure about symptoms, or making an appointment with their GP.

Dr Mike Guy, medical director for the Durham, Darlington and Tees area team of NHS England, said: "GP practices and pharmacies had alternative opening times in place over the festive season, but normal opening hours have now resumed.

"We'd like to remind everyone that A&E and 999 are for health emergencies only, including major accidents, broken bones, breathing problems, severe chest pains, unconsciousness, suspected stroke, and major blood loss.

"Many ailments, such as colds, sore throats, upset stomachs, and winter vomiting, should be treated at home with pain killers, rest and plenty of fluids, or with the advice of your local pharmacist."
People can also visit their local NHS walk-in centre or minor injuries unit.

Dr Mike Guy adds: "Walk-in centres are open most days between 8am-8pm and can treat illnesses or injuries, such as sprains, insect/animal bites, minor cuts, bruises and burns."

For more information about NHS walk-in centres and other NHS services available near you, visit NHS Choices, or call NHS 111 for advice on what to do.
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

craig finton

Has anyone noticed how we never get to know the outcomes of any of the 'investigations' that have supposed to have been started after the various incidents at the One Life Centre?

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: craig finton on January 12, 2014, 01: PM
Has anyone noticed how we never get to know the outcomes of any of the 'investigations' that have supposed to have been started after the various incidents at the One Life Centre?
Well of course we don't...... the format is ....incident ........ expressions of concern from the  'suits'........ incident quietly buried.... The End!
I suspect the problem is that we just accept what we're told ...... oh we may complain, but  we can be ignored with contempt, because basically we're impotent and the pygmies who control our lives know it.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

pensionater

"can anyone imagine a private company blaming it's customers for the high demand for it's product".The one life center is actually run by Virgin care ,which if i'm not mistaken is private company,nice try though.

Inspector Knacker

'High level of demand'..........? ....if you have two A&E departments and close one, you are going to  experience increased demand ..... it ain't rocket science .
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

SRMoore

Quote from: pensionater on January 12, 2014, 08: PM
"can anyone imagine a private company blaming it's customers for the high demand for it's product".The one life center is actually run by Virgin care ,which if i'm not mistaken is private company,nice try though.
I have no problem with private or voluntary sector organisations taking over NHS services. Sometimes it makes sense. E.g. Would you rather a loved one spend their final days on a sterile, bland hospital ward or in a caring, warm hospice environment? I know I'd choose the latter and it makes sense for Hartlepool Hospice to provide those services on behalf of the NHS.

RE the One Life... The Lord knows I am far from its biggest fan (or a fan at all tbh) but it is worth pointing out which part is private and which is public.
As far as I can tell the Urgent Care Centre is owned and operated by NT&H NHS Trust, as was always intended. The remaining part of the building, such as the GP surgeries and other rooms are owned by Assura Hartlepool. Assura Hartlepool is made up of a few local GPs, including Dr Brash and Assura (Partly or mainly owned by Virgin Healthcare).