Elected Mayors

Started by admin, May 03, 2012, 11: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donkey Kong

Quote from: christine blakey on May 05, 2012, 03: PM
Quite frankly, if it saves us money, that is fine by me!

Scrapping the bus subsidies saves us money.

Closing libraries saves us money.

Closing our hospital saves us money.

Are they all fine by you too?

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Getting rid of the mayor may bring about more accountability as there will be one less place to pass the buck back and forth between.

The other option is to save money by sharing a mayor with another town  :)

I don't believe it.

notinshadow

Couldn't we just cut out the 92,400 middle men and give our mayor to another town. ;D

not4me

Drummond has been a waste of space who shirks responsibility, hasn't a clue how to lead and has shown himself, through his Police Authority job, to have his nose in the trough just as much as the worst of his contempories.

That said, someone tell me how handing over the same executive powers to a group that last week showed that it only has 7% support from the electorate would be more democratic.

Wrong person, YES. Wrong system - I don't think so. Drummond can legitamately claim to have  far more of a mandate than the alternative.

The Great Dictator

We dont need a mayor whoever it may be..

notinshadow

If we had to be stuck with one who would you vote for?

marky

Quote from: testicles on May 08, 2012, 04: PM
We dont need a mayor whoever it may be..

Yea, what we need is C.A.B. with the same executive powers with a 7% mandate. For f*c* sake get a grip man......

The Great Dictator

I wouldn't vote for anyone for mayor ever because the job has no credibility or power. It is safer to have 33 people squabbling over power rather than one person being in control.........see Russia, North Korea,Zimbabwe, Chechnya, Iran etc

notinshadow

But he supports Hartlepool United

The Great Dictator

The MAIL promoted him well in 2001-2 and supported a mayor.

Inspector Knacker

SD, or should we say Hangus was elected simply because the electorate looked at the other candidates and were underwhelmed, especially as it appeared the whole business appeared to be the unchallenged election of King Leo.
Knowing the irreverance of the electorate in this town I wasn't surprised by election result and once you're elected and the same electorate aren't given a promising alternative, they tend to play safe and re-elect the same candidate.
Maybe the recent election results could have been different if one party had dressed up as wacky characters.
Just to settle a big myth, I go to Pools  and talk to those around me and can only think of one person who professed to voting for Mr Drummond.  For most supporters . Pools is part of our life, but not our life.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.