Elected Mayors

Started by admin, May 03, 2012, 11: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

notinshadow

I would like to see the mayor post binned or put it back to the old ways when you did the job for free but second to that, I honestly would rather see Ray Wells in the job than C.A.B.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Dumbo was on R4 this morning saying elected mayors should be enforced just like elected police commissioners are being brought in.
I don't believe it.

Straight Talking

Quote from: kipperdip on May 04, 2012, 08: AM
I notice that 4 cities so far have said NO via referenda to having elected Mayors. The BBC reckons that most (if not all) of the towns having referenda are likely to say NO
Good on them

A pity Hartlepool's electorate were suckered in when we had the choice, is it not?

We must have another say but also offer the abolition of the council cabinet system as well.  Every elected councillor should have an equal say and every vote recorded and reported without fail.

Yes Councillors should be equal, but then they have to get of their backsides and actually TURN UP, PARTICIPATE, PULL THEIR WEIGHT if not they might as well be cardboard cut outs.

Donkey Kong

Quote from: kipperdip on May 04, 2012, 10: AM
...they didn't want to end up with a two=faced, money grubbing, useless chancer like you.

??

The Shadow

Despite the elected mayors position being discreditedi Doncaster, the electorate still chose it over leader and cabinet when it came to a referendum.

Just goes to show that if some people had gotten their way and pushed for a referendum prematurely we'd have possibly been stuck with it for another 10 years. By waiting we will have the choice o return to the previous committee system with a ceremonial mayor.

Straight Talking

I would support the move to include all Councillors in decision making which means some form of decision making committee.

With regard to a ceremonial mayor - this again would be an improvement - but - in order to do the job of ceremonial mayor, opening shops, visiting elderly peoples groups, being an ambassador for the town, there was always an allowance for clothes, (mayor and mayoress/consort)and a car to get them there. We wouldn't want them turning up in trackies and trainers  in a yellow cab - and an expenses allowance for the costs incurred in promoting the town in the Northern area.

I am not suggesting that this should be a large amount of money, but the costs themselves should be reimbursed as a bare minimum, if not it won't be a move back of 10 years, it will be a move back of more than a century, when only the rich could afford to take it on.

So lots of discussion to be had - but the principle is right.

rabbit

Liverpool have just elected their first Mayor.

He was the previous Council Leader!

Logical or what? Perhaps he has taken a drop in salary.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/may/04/labour-landslide-liverpool-mayor-council-election?newsfeed=true

christine blakey

The fact that Doncaster have had a referendum shows that we could have had one.

The petition we carried out did lead to the debate at Full Council even though those in power did not want it.

There are still some who want to keep the directly elected mayor.  That is what you are up against.

However our petition has been logged with the Secretary of State and it is noted that the delay has been set so that a wider and more appropriate range of choices may be available through the Localism Act.

The Council are already setting up for the Mayoral Election next year and the actual four year cycles for Councillors are in line with that, so even with many Councillors wanting to get rid of the mayor, don't think it will be that easy. 

I wonder who the unlucky ones will be in 2013?

The Shadow

The council will have to make arrangements for a mayoral election next year Christine because the public may wish to keep the current system.

You say "There are still some who want to keep the directly elected mayor.  That is what you are up against" - I say that is democracy and the people will decide either way whether you, we or I like the outcome or not.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: The Shadow on May 05, 2012, 12: PM
The council will have to make arrangements for a mayoral election next year Christine because the public may wish to keep the current system.

You say "There are still some who want to keep the directly elected mayor.  That is what you are up against" - I say that is democracy and the people will decide either way whether you, we or I like the outcome or not.
You are correct Shadow, it's up to the electorate to decide and due process has to be taken to accommodate this.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

christine blakey

They are planning the next Mayoral Election specific to Hartlepool next year. 

They may not be holding it if the Referendum is brought in November with the option to go back to the previous system, as the Councillors may be able to choose.  Quite frankly, if it saves us money, that is fine by me!

The Great Dictator

Its easier to get rid of a leader than a Mayor. Are Labour still refusing to provide cabinet members ?

notinshadow

That would leave the Mayor in a bit of a spot..it would be handy then for Labour to have the IndyLabs, so it looks like they are not playing ball while keeping the IndyLabs on their Labour lead.

Business is picking up in the mayors office then.

The Great Dictator

Drummond is a LAME DUCK if no-one joins his cabinet, he's finished..

dangerman

Interesting comments BUT what of the renumeration package that comes with being a cabinet member? wont that tempt them to accept the thirty pieces of silver.

Otherwise it's going to be Drummond & Hill now that has got to be the best comedy duo since ??????????.

You choose!