The Debate

Started by rabbit, June 13, 2012, 04: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rabbit

There was a political discussion forum at the English Martyrs School.

The Mail reports:

Coun Brash said: "I was impressed with the range of questions and English Martyrs is very good at hosting these type of events."

He added the hour-long debate was better than any discussion he had witnessed in the council chamber.

I have no reason to believe he is not telling the truth here. The Councillors should take note of this.

Good to read that Steve Latimer attended as one of the panel facing questions from the students,

testing times

Was that a comment on the high standard of the Student debate or on the low standard of council debates? I guess we'll never know but it sounds like a great initiative to me.

not4me

I think English Martyrs should be applauded for this but I can't help thinking that we could do with such events for older people too. Provided there was a strong Chairman who didn't let one topic dominate the proceedings and that a good range of questions were asked I think it would do the town a world of good.
I wonder how much Dimbleby charges?  ;)

Julie noted

He added the hour-long debate was better than any discussion he had witnessed in the council chamber.
So stated Cllr Brash.

That comment of his is another insight into what goes on in the Kremlin.
First we had ST stating 'most of the labour councillors didn't believe the mayors figures on the Tall Ships'.....but did nothing about them!  :o

Now we have Cllr Brash stating a debate with schoolchildren is better than the debates in the council chamber!  :-[
Well we, and he, know the reason for lack of debate...it's because everything is thrashed out behind closed doors, prior to the council chamber.  :(

The nodding donkeys file in and vote as they have already been directed to vote.
It isn't the good of the town that counts, it's political tactics.  :P

Political tactics have their place in politics of course but only when it is for the common good.
In this town it is to keep cronies in power and noses in the trough.  :'(

rabbit

Laudable as the idea for a regular political debate/forum in the town, I don`t think it would work.

Defeatest perhaps, but if there was genuine interest in such a meeting and local politics, it would be more evident on this forum-not enough posters!

Anyway, there is always something else to do-go out to the pub perhaps, watch the tele-there`s football on now, then there`s the Olympics coming up. and what about Corrie, or Eastenders?

O.k. if it`s for the benefit of the town I`ll give it a go, just this once.

What time is that bus due?

Oh, sod it!

steveL

I think the first one would work but any subsequent sessions would depend largely on the success of the first.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

steveL

I'd love to know who used to hire bouncy castles... ;)

I agree that at least a portion of Councillors having some brain power is important but it's equally important, if not more important, that Councillors who simply know the difference between wrong and right get a look in too. I know plenty of 'brains' who I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw them and it could be argued that the cleverer people are the more able they are to spot opportunities for self-enrichment.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

stokoe

perseus can i ask what field you work/worked in please,and please no silliness.

steveL

Well apparently there's £26.5m floating around somewhere....

marky

I think you'll find it 'floated' up and down the A1 the day after the TS event finished.

rabbit

Well I suppose this is the next stage:

The young children of the town should be asked how to run the council`s budget:

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/local/how-would-you-spend-91m-1-4648028

Educational merit but for whom? Council or children?

Lucy Lass-Tick

Actually, this is a welcome contrast to Argyll and Bute Council banning a 9 year old girl's blog highlighting poor school catering.  Her comments seem to have resulted in vastly improved standards in her school and encouraged international communication from other young people -  as well as raising funds for an overseas charity.  Apparently it upset the poor, delicate, sensitive catering staff....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/9333576/Neverseconds-Jamie-Oliver-backs-Martha-Payne-over-school-dinner-blog-ban.html

testing times

I think you're missing the point, Perseus.
I see it going something like this:
"Right kids, we have £20m to find in the next 5 years but any money we save will be redirected to the pet projects of those Councillors with the biggest gobs and it's not allowed to upset our UNISON friends. We're a bit stumped as to how we can do this so we wondered if you had any ideas."