Police and Offenders

Started by not4me, June 11, 2012, 03: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

not4me

Spot the incompatability between the payout of a five-figure sum and the fact that none of the 19 Officers faced any disciplinary action.
A MAN left bruised and bloodied after being arrested while naked in the shower has been awarded a five-figure pay out.
Stephen Whenary has revealed how he has struggled to keep his life on track during a six-year campaign for justice.
The 42-year-old was left with extensive injuries when 19 Cleveland Police officers stormed his home and sprayed him with CS gas before he was pulled from the shower and beaten around the head with a baton.
Mr Whenary – who at the time was living with an officer's former wife – was charged with assaulting a police officer and resisting arrest. However, the case was thrown out by a judge after ruling that police evidence presented during the four-day trial was riddled with discrepancies.
http://www.hartlepoolpost.co.uk/index.php/2012-03-24-09-23-10/the-northern-echo

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Too right, isn't the payout an admission of guilt ?
I don't believe it.

rabbit

How many police officers can you get in a shower?

steveL

;D ;D
Seriously, something is endemically wrong at Cleveland Police. We must be close to the point when the phrase 'not fit for purpose' starts to appear - oh, it just did.  ;)
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Julie noted

Some aspects of police work can be hard work and, at times, gruesome.   :o
Not everyone could do it.

That said, bearing in mind the assault on Mr Whenary,
the saga of lookslikeToryagain,
the 'fitting up' of the Asian police sergeant, resulting in a jail sentence for him,
the £1000 boiler stolen from the M/Boro police station by an officer,
drugs in exchange for information,
the suspension of top cops and solicitor etc. etc.

Cleveland police got an award for 'best performing' in 2011.  ???
If that is a 'best performing' police force...what on earth goes on at other police forces?!!!!!!!

steveL

Are you sure it wasn't the BAFTA award for 'Best Soap Opera'?
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

notenoughsaid

The title of this thread appears to me to be quite apt.  Whilst not trying to defend the impossible,I would like to suggest that readers look at the Northern Echo report (through the link)  regarding  the result of the enquiry conducted by the police and the Independent Police Complaints Commission both of which are stated to have found no case to answer. In reality the IPCC are in the driving seat in matters of this nature. The link clearly states (quite wrongly that the police alone investigated this matter), and then referred the matter to the IPCC.   For general information,the IPCC is made up of former Liberty and Amnesty Int.members alongside a handful of defence solicitors and one or to lay persons who generally like to condem the police at every opportunity to justify their existence.   I have no knowledge of this incident or involvement nor axe to grind except to repeat "something doesn't add up."

dangerman

Visiting Thirsk there were posters showing clear photographs and name of a persistant offender excluded from the Market Place area.

I remember some time past that here in hartlepool we did the same, the Mail have repeat offenders we recognise the name and unless you know them not the person.

The Mayor is chair of the Safer Hartlepool Partnership & Chair of Cleveland Police Authority so if North Yorkshire Police can do this, why not here 'again' in Hartlepool?

Incidently the person on the photograph was nowhere to be seen that day, so it must work.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Julie noted

'I submit that would transgress the Human Rights Act of the individual.
It places him/her in an invidious situation and open to attacks from vigilantees.
It also precludes the person's right to a family life, due to the fear of attack whilst in the public domain'.

That is the sort of guff that would come out if it was tried in Hartlepool.
OUR rights to live, shop, work and breathe in a safe and secure environment comes a lowly second.  ???
You couldn't make it up.

testing times

The Police publish ASBOs on their website though it could be argued that will have minimum impact. Perhaps HTH should publish details?
http://www.cleveland.police.uk/advice-information/Anti-Social-Behaviour-Orders.aspx?r=0

The Great Dictator

The cops investigate their own complaints first and if you're not happy with the outcome it will be passed to the IPCC for scrutiny.

popgoestheweasal.

The lack of reaction to there actions is the problem young tearaways fear no one now.

for fawkes sake

In that case, the IPCC is merely scrutinising the investigation carried out by the Police i.e. there is no independent investigation. Ssounds a bit like the Press Complaints Commission - there only to create the illusion of independent scrutiny.
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

for fawkes sake

I notice one of these offenders ASBO amounts to not visiting Baden Street - wow - that'll teach him.  ;D ;D
Wouldn't it be a good idea to stick his pick on lamposts at either end of the street? I bet he takes no notice of the ASBO whatsoever.
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

The Great Dictator

Correct, its a bit like this Leveson inquiry.