Dangerous Delusions

Started by brassed off monkey, May 22, 2012, 01: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brassed off monkey

Despite the overwhelming evidence of the massive overspend on the Tall Stories, a dangerous delusion is still floating around in the heads of some of the inhabitants of the civic.

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/local/in-the-running-for-tall-ships-award-1-4570958

If any one factor epitomizes the sheer wastefulness of the powers that be in Hartlepool, the Tall Ships is it.

Manufactured facts & figures fooled no one who took the time to peruse the accounts that featured here on HTH, the continued insistance by senior members of the ruling elite that the event was a massive financial success for Hartlepool beggars belief.

These self same strangers to the truth, will no doubt be at the awards cerermony in Leicester, filling their boots at the expense of the ratepayers of Hartlepool.

Donkey Kong

Quote from: LookslikeTORYagain on May 22, 2012, 01: PM
It's just said on the news that Hartlepool is getting an award tonight...

And well deserved it is too.  It was a magnificent event from an entertainment / tourism point of view.

brassed off monkey

Quote from: Donkey Kong on May 22, 2012, 02: PM

And well deserved it is too.  It was a magnificent event from an entertainment / tourism point of view.

Was if from a "Financial Point of View" ? and should the council tax payers of Hartlepool subsidise the tourist jollies of people from outside of the town ?..... i would suggest the answer to both questions is a resounding No.

1 figure from the Tall Stories Budget that sums the whole event up... £150,000 on Corporate Hospitality.

Donkey Kong

Quote from: brassed off monkey on May 22, 2012, 03: PM
Quote from: Donkey Kong on May 22, 2012, 02: PM

Was if from a "Financial Point of View" ?

What is the award for?

Stig of the Seaton Dump

...you might as well have another gin and tonic as the Titanic goes down ...the iceberg had been hit and it is too late to hit revese.
I don't believe it.

christine blakey

I think that is a very good analogy Stig.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

I work for an international company, we have a colleague from the far east called King Kong. There are some others with names that would be censored on this site . Hartlepool is not that cosmopolitan, rather parochial really.
I don't believe it.

mk1

and his cousin from China Foo Kin.............no better not go there!

Benefitcheat

As much as I enjoyed the Tall Ships I don't think any rational person is under the illusion that things couldn't have been better, more effort could have been made to make the townsfolk think that the event was for them for starters, someone could have better handled the predicted traffic chaos that didn't arrive and I'm sure an agreement could have been made with PD ports to gain access to the gravel pit earlier than they managed to.

As for legacy, I think I still have a souvenir Tshirt, and I saw someone in a Tall Ships jacket last month. It's also much easier to park at the train station now. That's all I have on legacy I am afraid.

As HBC had to apply to be considered for an award one wonders what it has cost them to enter a meaningless corporate back slapping contest.

mk1

I just saw Look North and it seems The Tall Stories won!

A Mail retrospective on the way with bumper 8 page  pull out full  of readers photos.............