Burn valley ward

Started by Devils advocate, February 24, 2018, 01: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devils advocate

I have just had a leaflet posted through my letterbox from the Labour candidate for Burn Valley on May 3rd.
Karen Oliver is the labour candidates name. I have consulted google (the font of all knowledge) and Karen Oliver pops up in a fail article about the cafe in the crem. https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/treat-yourself-to-a-cuppa-at-the-cemetery-gates-in-hartlepool-1-5627505

In the article she is said to be "the council's facilities management manager"

This article is from 2013 and she may not be in the position now but am i right in thinking that a council employee cannot run in local elections?

Either way she is obviously just another Labour sheep ready to do as she is told.

Lucy Lass-Tick

You're quite correct - council employees can't stand for election. She may have left, I suppose, or (and here's the loophole) not be employed directly by the council (even if she's on the payroll) should there be an intermediate organisation in the loop. For example, someone can work in a church school & be paid via HBC's payroll but actually be employed by the diocese & therefore eligible to stand.

fred c

Obviously the lure of the public purse is hard to resist.   ::)

Johnny Bongo

I also received the same drivel and wondered if she was still employed by HBC.  I was particularly drawn to the line ''...gaining extensive knowledge and experience of how local government works''.  I wonder if she agrees with the way 'local government, ie, HBC, works.  Will she dare to speak out against the usual suspects in the Chamber?  I very much doubt it!  At the end of the leaflet, she says ''...please do not hesitate to let me know of any issues, concerns or any questions you may have.''  Why?  What can she do? Is it her business?  She isn't a councillor and hopefully won't be!   

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: Johnny Bongo on February 24, 2018, 04: PM
I also received the same drivel and wondered if she was still employed by HBC.  I was particularly drawn to the line ''...gaining extensive knowledge and experience of how local government works''.  I wonder if she agrees with the way 'local government, ie, HBC, works.  Will she dare to speak out against the usual suspects in the Chamber?  I very much doubt it!  At the end of the leaflet, she says ''...please do not hesitate to let me know of any issues, concerns or any questions you may have.''  Why?  What can she do? Is it her business?  She isn't a councillor and hopefully won't be!

Maybe she has access to the same pre-election hotline that Ann Marshall so enjoyed. Fat lot of good it did her, though.

fred c

Oh yes... despite having the cleansing dept on speedial and Mike Hill, CAB, SCAB et al   dropping leaflets......they still managed to make a complete bollox of it

kevplumb

Quote from: fred c on February 24, 2018, 04: PM
Oh yes... despite having the cleansing dept on speedial and Mike Hill, CAB, SCAB et al   dropping leaflets......they still managed to make a complete bollox of it
come on Fred don't forget mad dog sitting in the polling station

with a team like that behind her, I'm surprised she made third

but she was a graceful loser  ;D ;D ;D
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment