'Coffee House' Vacancies

Started by steveL, January 01, 2013, 09: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

fred c

Whilst i think the minimum wage is to low, looking at the wage rates below i find myself wondering how on earth this place is going to compete against the many privately owned cafes, i seriously doubt that those businesses will be paying anything more than the minimum wage.

For those 3 positions alone the wage bill for the year would be approx £48,000, no doubt there would be more staff required, so the wage bill could be a possibly be the thick end of £100,000.

That is £2,000 a week for wages, plus any overheads, how much will this cafe need to gross every week to stand any chance of being a viable business..... I really hope it does take off, but given the location & possible footfall i seriously doubt it.

Closing date:
7 Jan
Coffee House Catering Assistants
Coffee House Catering Assistants required for a new Coffee House opening in Hartlepool.
Organisation Logo
Contract Type:Permanent
Salary:Band 5 – £15,444 - £16,054 (pro-rata)
Employment Location:Hartlepool
Working Pattern:Full time
Post Number:SR-106153
Job category:Other

Share on Facebook
    Share on Myspace
    Share on StumbleUpon
    Tweet this job
    Share this on Delicious

Send to a friend More details
Closing date:
7 Jan
Coffee House Supervisors
Coffee House Supervisor required for a new Coffee House opening in Hartlepool.
Organisation Logo
Salary:Band 7 £17,802- £19,126 pro rata if job shared
Working Pattern:Full time
Post Number:106154

Share on Facebook
    Share on Myspace
    Share on StumbleUpon
    Tweet this job
    Share this on Delicious

Send to a friend More details
Closing date:
7 Jan
Coffee House Kitchen Assistants
Kitchen Assistants required for a new Coffee House opening in Hartlepool.
Organisation Logo
Salary:Band 3 £13,589 - £13,874 pro rata
Working Pattern:Part time
Post Number:106155

rabbit

"A STYLISH new coffee house that will open its doors in Hartlepool early in the New Year is rapidly taking shape.

The new attraction is a key element of the Inspirations Coffee House and Garden Centre development on the site of Hartlepool Council's existing Stranton Garden Nursery in Tanfield Road.

The re-development scheme is part of the Council's strategy to generate additional income at a time of unprecedented Government budget cuts.

The new coffee shop which is costing £280,000, is expected to open in either February or March and is set to create between six and eight jobs.

The new jobs, some of which could involve a job share, include the post of supervisor, catering assistant and kitchen assistants. Anyone who is interested should look out for further details on www.northeastjobs.org"

At a time of unprecedented Government cuts, you wouldn`t have thought providing coffee at say 3 pounds a cup is a good way of extracting money from the town`s ratepayers. Mind you there`s a cap on rate increases but none on coffee.

Its cheaper to brew up at home, or I think it`s about a pound at a well known pub in town. Still, what do I know? the plants are probably "ace".

marky

I work out the hourly rates to be:
Supervisors: £9.50
Catering Assistants: £9
Kitchen Assistants: £7.04
(Based on a 37.5 hr week)
I notice it doesn't say how many of each so it's hard to say what the total costs will be but you can add about 14% for salary oncosts and then there's running costs (electric/heating etc)

steveL

This is just plain crazy.

"The re-development scheme is part of the Council's strategy to generate additional income at a time of unprecedented Government budget cuts."

Silly buggers. The debate will centre around whether it could ever have hoped to break even, yet they are talking in terms of generating additional income

Clueless. Absolutely clueless.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

mk1

If the aim is (and I am sure it is) to create 'employment' for a relative/mate of a councillor then it would be cheaper just to give these people the wage money and not open the shop.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

I wonder if it will close in 6 months with the failure put down to lack of public support and/or the recession.
I don't believe it.

steveL

;D You're probably right there, mk1.

I'm sure that I remember when this idea was first touted, that it was said that it would be run as a commercial venture i.e. it would be put out to tender. However, that would mean someone else being prepared to take it on and recruiting their own staff. With HBC advertising the posts, this would suggest a change of plan and that HBC are now going to run it themselves. This in turn suggests that there were no takers for the tender -

Conclusion? . . .  not everyone is as daft as HBC.

steveL

Quote from: Stig of the Seaton Dump on January 02, 2013, 04: PM
I wonder if it will close in 6 months with the failure put down to lack of public support and/or the recession.

No it will be subsidised for 3 or 4 years before the plug is finally pulled on it.

Have a look at the cafe on the Wingfileld Castle to get a feel for the level of HBC's commercial talent.

fred c

Ahhhhhhhhh the good old Wingfield Castle, we met friends there on 1 occasion & arrived 20 minutes before the stated closing time & were told we couldn`t be served because they were about to close, the staff displayed no interest whatsoever.

You will find various organisations do tender out their catering services ie. golf clubs, fitness centres etc & i would have thought that as mentioned by steveL that would have been the intention with the "Cafe in the Crem".

There has obviously been no commercial interest shown, so HBC have to try & "Bluff" it out by attempting to run it themselves........... the wage rates are a clear indication of future failure, but i don`t believe that the place will remain open as long as steveL suggets........ the first set of "Proper Accountants" will cause questions to be raised by some councillors & members of the public, then the inevitable closure.

The point about who came up with the idea in the first place, maybe it was the same Officer who came up with the plans for the..... Tall Stories..... The Big Tin Shed..... &.....The Transport Interchange.

steveL

I suspect this is a Stubbsy idea to save 'his men' from redundancy. In different circumstances you could applaud his loyalty but even so - things do have to make sense and this one doesn't. A committment to purchase plants from one of the local commercial garden centres in return for employment for displaced workers might have been a better idea.

As for how long the Cafe remains open I will stick to my original prognosis. Don't be surprised if Ged Hall gets to do the accounts like he did for Manor Residents and Radio Hartlepool. I can't be certain of his methods but I think a dartboard is involved.

fred c

One Hundred & Eightyyyyyyyyyyyyyy............... + 3... - 4... x The number first thought of + how many rashers of bacon are left in the packet at the back of the fridge...........

Ryehill

Hartlepool B.C. does need to generate extra income, but I think that it would have been a better idea to increase usage of existing facilities, rather than having a capital expenditure of over £250K before a penny is earned. Having said that I do hope that the new cafe is a successs. The cafe in the Park seems to be a success but that is run by the private sector.
        What I would like to see is a council run  competition to find the best, low cost, ideas for providing jobs in tourism, retail and manufacturing sectors of industry. You never know someone out there might have a brilliant idea that they would like to share.   

Stig of the Seaton Dump

I can't get it out of my head how crass the cafe by the crem idea is.

When I visit the grave yard, I like to do so on my own and I am thankful of the silence.

I just can't get my head around the idea of laying a wreath and stuffing a cream scone down in the same location.

In my eyes it really is as stupid as using the grassed area around Mr Twisters as a grave yard.

I don't believe it.

for fawkes sake

I think the idea is for the cafe to be mainly a facility of the new 'garden centre' rather than a facility of the crematorium but even so, it's still something of a non-starter. Someone else said having a sufficient number of customers to make either the garden centre or the Cafe viable would also result in the residents of Tanfield Road being plagued with traffic so it's a no win situation.
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."