"I believe it was wrong to shut A&E."

Started by steveL, October 09, 2017, 01: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

I think this is what is trendily known as "being behind the curve"

The biggest reason that the A&E closed was that it was supported by the local Labour Group led by Steve Wallace who was then Chairman of the PCT. It was a hot topic just before one set of local elections and to get over any impact on the result, Labour arranged with the Hospital Trust that a review panel would be set up to look into the decision to close the A&E.

Our representatives on this panel included Wallace's protege, Stephen Akers-Belcher (yes, that's what he really called him) and Sheila Griffin.

Halfway through the review, the PCT via Wallace donated a £5,000 grant to SAB's Rifty Youth Project to buy a clapped out bus. A few weeks later, with no resistance provided by SAB, the Review Panel recommended that the A&E should close.

Among Wallace's other political successes was to win Sean Price, then Chief Constable of Cleveland Police, a £24,000 honorarium supplement to his already considerable salary while brushing aside critics by declaring that "we (the public) are lucky to have him (Price)".

Price was later sacked for a variety of misdemeanours including the profligate use of the corporate credit card.

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/mp-wants-to-see-services-returned-to-hartlepool-s-fit-for-purpose-hospital-1-8792039

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/teen-health-bus-hits-the-roads-1-4336168

Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Slightly at a tangent (most unusual for me) but one thing which struck me in the original article about the bus is that both Akers-Belchers then openly published their mobile numbers in the Mail. Would they do that now, when even their Twitter accounts appear to be locked down? The numbers may no longer belong to them (I certainly wouldn't dream of trying them just in case they answered - I'm fussy who I speak to) but does this show a sea change (for whatever reasons) in how they were free to communicate then and now with the public?

seaton

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: steveL on October 09, 2017, 01: PM

Halfway through the review, the PCT via Wallace donated a £5,000 grant to SAB's Rifty Youth Project to buy a clapped out bus. A few weeks later, with no resistance provided by SAB, the Review Panel recommended that the A&E should close.

The bus was previously owned by Hartlepool Families First
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

steveL

It ended its life stored next to Cranney's Mountain in Mainsforth Terrace. I don't know what happened to it after he sold the land - scrapped probably.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

kevplumb

so in effect SAB and his cohorts sold our A&E for a clapped out bus

lying bag of sh*t should be made to live in it alony with  hubby  >:( >:( >:(
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

Lord Elpus

In approx 2003 there was a strategic health review carried out by the regional health authority, chair and guy call Garrard.

There were three options;

do nothing (they said it was not an option),
centre all services at Hartlepool hospital or centre all services at North Tees
Build a new hospital

Mandelson was all for a new Hospital and he made sure all the Labour group were either onboard or kept their mouth shut.

Mandy in effect made sure Hartlepool Labour Group supported a new Hospital,  Drummond made some noises in support of Hartlepool but was soon worn down.

If the then Labour MP had fought for his towns wishes we would be in a very different place right now.

If the then Labour group had the balls to stand up against Mandy and the Chair of NT&H NHS Trust ex Labour Council Leader Brian Hanson, followed by ex Labour Leader Russell Hart, we might have stood a fighting chance.

Labour have stood back at every opportunity and seen the battle to save our hospital services fought by others, they only showed an interest at election times then did sweet f*n*y adams to deliver.

Inspector Knacker

What was their reasoning? It was of no real benefit to the people of the town, so just what was their motive?

mk1

Quote from: Riddler5 on October 09, 2017, 08: PM
What was their reasoning? It was of no real benefit to the people of the town, so just what was their motive?

Apart  from the obvious benefit of a £5000 bung was it that Hartlepool would get an incomes out of the new hospital?

Inspector Knacker

Any income out of the new hospital would be largely negated by the loss off the present hospital. £5000? an irrelevance in this instance, as alienating, even infuriating the electorate for whatever reason, just makes no sense for any politician. Of course, there's no accounting for dumb politicians egotistical lust for a bit of ribbon cutting and a buffet at its opening, but?
I feel I'm missing something here.

angela

James Cook is all but officially designated as our hospital now. The accident and emergency at North Tees will be closed.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

I predict lots of dummies being thrown out of prams and nobody that matters caring.

I don't believe it.

Inspector Knacker

It's got to the stage where people have just given up hope. The politicians supposedly defending the interests of the towns citizens are as much use as candy floss barbed wire, because when you get up close to it you realise it's not a problem, just a squidgy substitute for the real thing and you can walk all over without any problem.

Truthache

Quote from: Lord Elpus on October 09, 2017, 08: PM
In approx 2003 there was a strategic health review carried out by the regional health authority, chair and guy call Garrard.

Build a new hospital

Mandelson was all for a new Hospital and he made sure all the Labour group were either onboard or kept their mouth shut.

Mandy in effect made sure Hartlepool Labour Group supported a new Hospital,  Drummond made some noises in support of Hartlepool but was soon worn down.

If the then Labour MP had fought for his towns wishes we would be in a very different place right now.

If the then Labour group had the balls to stand up against Mandy and the Chair of NT&H NHS Trust ex Labour Council Leader Brian Hanson, followed by ex Labour Leader Russell Hart, we might have stood a fighting chance.

Labour have stood back at every opportunity and seen the battle to save our hospital services fought by others, they only showed an interest at election times then did sweet f*n*y adams to deliver.

A couple of articles to refresh the memory about HGH and its long battle to maintain its "identity" over the years.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/6951163.Hospital_chief_to_step_down/?ref=arc

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/hospital-boss-asks-for-early-retirement-1-982473

The issues have been around for a long time, long before the current CEO and Chairman of the NTH Trust were involved.  The decision to amalgamate the two NHS Trusts was perhaps a recognition that individually both hospitals would struggle.

It is more than just A&E and I want the best service possible locally but attracting the clinical staff to this area has been difficult for a number of years.  I seem to remember HGH recruiting from the USA at high cost to try and fill a vacancy.  It didn't last very long.

Will HGH return to what it was?  Highly unlikely whether our new MP makes a noise or not.  Times have changed.

fred c

Quote from: Truthache on October 10, 2017, 02: PM
Quote from: Lord Elpus on October 09, 2017, 08: PM

Build a new hospital

A couple of articles to refresh the memory about HGH and its long battle to maintain its "identity" over the years.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/6951163.Hospital_chief_to_step_down/?ref=arc

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/hospital-boss-asks-for-early-retirement-1-982473

The issues have been around for a long time, long before the current CEO and Chairman of the NTH Trust were involved.  The decision to amalgamate the two NHS Trusts was perhaps a recognition that individually both hospitals would struggle.

It is more than just A&E and I want the best service possible locally but attracting the clinical staff to this area has been difficult for a number of years.  I seem to remember HGH recruiting from the USA at high cost to try and fill a vacancy.  It didn't last very long.

Will HGH return to what it was?  Highly unlikely whether our new MP makes a noise or not.  Times have changed.

It's just wind whistling through the trees from the towns Member, another article to justify his existence, he can spit and tear paper till the cows come home, he knows the hospital will never return to a fully operational status but he has to be see to be doing something.

To be fair to him he has hardly had a chance for the cushion on his chair to mould to the shape of his a**e, we will see in the next 9 months if there is any movement with the hospital situation, if not, we could find ourselves with another Wright representing the town.......and we all know what that ment for Hartlepool

"You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time"