'Better Health' Meeting

Started by steveL, February 18, 2016, 10: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

https://www.hartlepool.gov.uk/news/article/173/have_say_at_nhs_meeting

By all accounts this meeting quickly turned into something of a shambles. I've lifted this post off the TOHC Facebook page; there's a lot of frustration out there.

Good evening all, I just wanted to quickly feedback about the "Engagement Event" which took place tonight at the Grand Hotel; but first I would like to start with an open message to the Better Health board and the local CCG:
"You are not showing any support or interest in getting services returned to Hartlepool, you are not listening to the people who access these vital services and you are oblivious to the effect that your decision making is having on the people of Hartlepool; these are the very people who rely on you to look after their healthcare and you need to remember this YOU REPRESENT THE PEOPLE OF NORTH TEES AND HARTLEPOOL not just North Tees, the people of Hartlepool have suffered for far too long as second rate citizens when it comes to healthcare, stop directing all your attention to North Tees and show some respect and dedication to the people who need your help the most".
I think from the message above you will be able to guess how tonight went. Our hosts were the Better Health Group. To say that the night was a shambles does not do it justice, what I can say about it is that it was poorly planned, delivered and executed. This was not meant to be a two way conversation, it was meant to be a chance for the "Better Health" group (which I feel is just another layer of bureaucracy) to give their message, statement and plans to the attendees in the room just so they can say we consulted with the public!
From the poor start where the presenter acted in an unprofessional way to the irresponsible remarks he regurgitated the evening got off to a shaky start then the whole session just deteriorated when almost everything which was said from the members of public was stonewalled and basically ignored.
At this point I would just like to say that I was present at the Council Chambers when this presentation was aired to the councillors; I had a chance to ask questions and I asked the a question to the person present (the same person delivering it tonight) and the question was "In your presentation you stated that you are seeking public consultation, firstly please could you tell me what level of consultation is going to take place, how involved will the public be in the process and finally if the public ask for something particular will you listen to them and give them what they wish". The answer was long-winded and elaborate but to get to the crux of the matter he basically said "if we don't like what we hear we won't listen, if we feel that it's not what we want we won't listen and if we feel it's not necessary we won't listen.
Even though I heard his answer last week I still decided to attend tonight as it would be irresponsible not to as we must go to these things to represent you the members no matter of our thoughts and opinions; plus you never know something small could come out of a meeting which you thought was a no starter. So I persevered but to no avail, no matter what we as a group said, no matter what other people around the table I was sitting on said every question was received and answered with a long winded and convoluted answer which was a simple gesture to try and appease us.
Tonight I felt like the view of the public was wanted but we were just simple folk who don't know what we want or need and they think it is their job to tell us what we want and what we need. From tonight's meeting all I got was the same old rhetoric of "their opinion" of why we can't have healthcare in Hartlepool on our own doorstep, whenever someone challenged their methods and ways all that was given in return would be "Standards", "safe" and "recruitment", now please tell me if I am wrong but that has nothing to do with US as service users. It is for the Trust and all these other quangos to fix and deliver a service to us which is FIT FOR PURPOSE.
The only message which I received tonight (and it was loud and clear) is this:
"We can't support or supply the services which people want or need so we are doing what WE think is in the best interest of the people of Hartlepool and Stockton"
My return is this
"You are not showing any support or interest in getting services returned to Hartlepool, you are not listening to the people who access these vital services and you are oblivious to the effect that your decision making is having on the people of Hartlepool; these are the very people who rely on you to look after their healthcare and you need to remember this YOU REPRESENT THE PEOPLE OF NORTH TEES AND HARTLEPOOL not just north tees, the people of Hartlepool have suffered for too long as second rate citizens when it comes to healthcare, stop directing all your attention to North Tees and show some respect and dedication to the people who need your help the most".
Tonight showed one thing and one thing only they don't wish to listen but I promise you I will do my utmost best to get them to listen and take notice of what they seem to ignore, they ignore us daily but eventually they will get the message.
Tonight I had the pleasure of meet Dr Mohamed El Menabawey as well as a number of other people.there were other members of the group present on my table namely Stan and Julie. It gave me pleasure to see other members of the group scattered around the room such as Stella, Maeve, Jacky just to name a few (I am sorry if I missed your name out but I don't retain names very well) It was brilliant to see that you were all using your presence there tonight to get the groups message across. It was a pleasure talking to you and getting your feedback, what I would like to say it is people like you and others like you who will eventually open the eyes of the decision makers and get them to listen to the people of Hartlepool rather than some statistician, bean counter or politician who live hundred of miles away and are not effected in the least by their plans, action and comments
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Inspector Knacker

We have to realise that we're in this mess because we're defenceless,  that is we the electorate.
Those who should have been looking out for us and seizing on and fighting every action by the 'Trust' that diminished our hospital and services stood by and did nothing , even actively supporting actions taken by the 'Trust' for the new Utopia General at Wynyard, that elusive shimmering mirage that evaporated before our eyes after a protracted 'birth'.
After the dream floundered on the rocks of reality we're left with a bunch of jackasses floundering like goldfish whose tank has been tipped over and gasping not for air but credibility. So we now have a rapid realignment of focus as they try to worm their way back into ranks of the infuriated, elbowing there way into the limelight to lead the crusade.
Forget it, you're fooling no one.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.