Has Mr Brash Lost the Plot?

Started by admin, May 15, 2015, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Monday, 18th May Civic Centre 7pm

The motion reads: "The latest revelations in the local, regional and national media allege very clearly that Councillor Stephen Akers-Belcher has lied publicly on numerous occasions.

"He has misled the press, fellow councillors and most damning of all the people of Hartlepool. Moreover he has lied about a partner North-East Council, forcing them to publicly defend themselves against these lies.

"All of this leads to the, widely held, view that he is simply not fit for office, in any form. To that end the council has a duty to take action, even if the only thing we are legally able to do is record a vote of no confidence.

"We therefore formally move a formal vote of no confidence in Coun Stephen Akers Belcher as councillor of this borough and call on him to tender his resignation as a councillor immediately.
"

The meeting will be held at Hartlepool Civic Centre at 7pm on Monday, May 18.

steveL

I didn't understand tonight's meeting. No vote on SAB (which is supposed to be what the meeting was about). Brash trying to construct an intellectual argument to people, some of whose minds are permanently embedded in the gutter of spite and self-enrichment. Pointless.

One entertaining episode. After listening at the beginning to the various woes expressed at the prospect of 5 years of a Conservative majority Government which, unsurprisingly, led to no rebut from Martin-Wells whatsoever, we were treated to Carl's most recent gaff as he talked about 'our friends the Conservatives', as an example of cooperation between parties.

Timing is everything.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

seaton

Well I will have to read about the outcome of the Meeting in the Mail once Joy has been briefed what too print ! No mention of it on the first online edition, TorLab still editing the press release ?

Foggy

Well I'm not 100% sure exactly what went on last night or what exactly the final proposal was but I understand why Brash and Thompson decided to go with a different approach. The vote of no confidence was never going to achieve anything. The lab/cons would have made out SAB was an angel and that the proposers of the motion were being vindictive. They always seem to think being legitimately challenged on an issue is a personal attack.

The most disappointing thing for me about last night was Chris Simmons spitting his dummy and walking out. A little bit of an overreaction I think.

Regarding the issue of chairing the meeting.  I have no issue with Mary Fleet being the ceremonial mayor but I can't see how she can go on chairing the meetings. It wasn't the debacle of last time but she would have really struggled without Stubbs to help her.

steveL

Classic example of how Labour is unable to think on its feet. They would have been given their instructions during the pre-meeting get together; presumably in this case, a 3-line whip to vote in support of the Mayor come what may.

When the subject matter veered away from this, they malfunctioned en-block. Simmons wanted to delay any decision so that his group could receive new instructions from the Leader while Richardson wanted to get back to a vote on the Mayor because they knew what to do on that one.

I don't agree that the vote of confidence wouldn't have achieved anything. It would have been voted down for sure but I don't think it was about SAB any more; it was about Labour (and Tory) recognition of those Nolan Principles. If they truly believe that a majority is all you need to brush such basic principles of behaviour aside then they should have been forced to say so by voting on it.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Foggy

Yes I see your point there. It would have been interesting to see them trying to justify his behaviour, though they probably wouldn't have bothered and pushed for the vote as quickly as possible. That in itself would have spoke volumes about their principles.

I got the impression that CAB knew about the change in approach as he read a prepared statement in response. However, they did go into a bit of a spin when they needed to make a decision and CAB seemed to be looking for Marj for guidance.  ::)

fred c

I was sitting in row 3 of the public gallery............. I did`nt realise that the 2 Ukip-pers weren`t in attendance. lol

testing times

Are we not talking about basic ground rules here covering councillor behaviour? It looks like any such basic ground rules have now gone out of the window and anything goes.

craig finton

I think that's right. After all that has gone on, I think we need to hear from all councillors that they are each committed to the Nolan principles and accept that any councillor breaching those principles should face some sort of sanction. From where I'm standing, it looks like we have no such commitment at the moment.

Land Phil

It appears to be quite a climb down from the opposition now the elections are over.

Foggy

For some reason they seem to be living in some sort of parallel world where they are already committed to these principles. In recent meetings when anyone has questioned or challenged this, their reaction is usually one of shock and dismay. Look what happened last night when Simmons has his principles questioned. He threw his toys out of his pram and stomped off.  They are all totally delusional.

Quote from: fred c on May 19, 2015, 09: AM
I was sitting in row 3 of the public gallery............. I did`nt realise that the 2 Ukip-pers weren`t in attendance. lol

;D  It took me a good while to realise they weren't there too.  This is probably a reflection on their usual contribution to meetings.

Alnwickist

Guy Fawkes had the right idea.

Mr.E

Who's to say that is what tht two UKIP councillors were doining! Using their passes to plant the gunpowder!

fred c

Quote from: craig finton on May 19, 2015, 10: AM
I think that's right. After all that has gone on, I think we need to hear from all councillors that they are each committed to the Nolan principles and accept that any councillor breaching those principles should face some sort of sanction. From where I'm standing, it looks like we have no such commitment at the moment.

The problem with The TorLab Mob is that they are more likely to be conversant with The Nolan Sisters, than with the Nolan Principles......

Land Phil

Have the ginger testicles been handed into lost property at the civic yet ?