"Save our Seacoalers"

Started by Gary Jackson, March 25, 2015, 06: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Jackson

This is an issue that seriously needs to be looked at! Its a subject close to myself and my family but also many other people in the Hartlepool community. Please take a minute to read my petition, sign it and if you could....share it. Thank you!

https://www.change.org/p/hartlepool-borough-council-garry-jones-bring-back-hartlepool-s-sea-coalers?recruiter=194052836&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_facebook_responsive&utm_term=des-lg-share_petition-custom_msg&fb_ref=Default

fred c

I happened to be in the civic for a meeting when Cllr James went into a side room to speak with what i was told were representatives of the Seacoalers.

I wondered afterwards if they had actually had any positives from that get together?

Lord Elpus

Mad Dog's cop out was to say to the Seacoalers representative (in a meeting behind closed doors) she would leave in the hands of the Crown Commissioners.  In other words she has washed her hands of the issue.

Seacoalers Rep at that meeting is also a mate of Barclay. 

fred c

So Cllr James is a Decision Maker for the benefit of Hartlepudlians then...... rofpmsl at the thought.....

I suppose the seacoalers could put flags up whilst collecting the coal....... But they would probably cause a Danger to Shipping. He Haw He Haw He Haw He Haw

DRiddle

Locks off, gates open, sea coal lads back on the beach, families putting food on the table and the beaches soon to be clean again.

That wasn't so hard was it Marjorie?

Well done to all involved.

Eddie Potcake

I couldn't see what the problem was. The sea coal lads earn a bit of cash, the beaches are cleaned. Win, win all around.

DRiddle

This story is currently doing the rounds on hartlepool alert and on social media. Words fail me . . .

A SENIOR councillor says she is delighted that sea coalers have been allowed to return to work on Hartlepool's beaches.

Councillor Marjorie James, Chair of Hartlepool Council's Neighbourhood Services Committee, has welcomed the lifting of access restrictions which means that sea coalers are now free to take their vehicles onto the sands.

"The Council's decision to prevent sea coalers from gaining access to the beaches was taken earlier this year on legal advice and it was designed to protect the sea coalers themselves, members of the public and the Council.

"It was only ever intended to be a temporary measure, but it has taken a lot longer than expected to get to the point where we have been able to allow the sea coalers to return to the beaches.

"I have tried to maintain contact with sea coalers and their representatives throughout this period and I am pleased that we have now been able to lift the access restrictions and it is good to see sea coalers out on the beaches earning a living once again," said Councillor James.

The Council, which leases the beaches from The Crown Estate, took the decision to block access pending the outcome of an application to vary its lease to allow sea coalers to take their vehicles on to the beaches.

Without such a variation, the Council feared that sea coalers would be trespassing on the beaches - rendering their insurance invalid - and it would be acting illegally by allowing them access.

On Friday of last week (March 27) after Council officers followed up a previous approach to The Crown Estate's agents and received confirmation that they were minded to be granted a lease variation, Councillor James and Chief Executive Dave Stubbs agreed to remove locks from barriers at several access points and allow sea coalers' vehicles on to beaches, subject to the introduction of a local licensing scheme.

The Council's decision has been welcomed by Gary Jackson, a representative of the local sea coal trade, who said: "I am over the moon that the sea coalers are back working again."

Gary, 26, who runs his own health and safety training company, said generations of his own family had been involved in the sea coal and coal trade.

"For many of the current sea coalers there is no other path for them to go down, sea coaling is their life. I'm glad that the issue has now been resolved and I'd like to thank the Council for chasing up matters with the Crown Estates."

Lucy Lass-Tick

Yup - and tomorrow she'll doubtless have eradicated third world debt while simultaneously discovering a cure for cancer - it's good to know what wonderful, sincere people look after our every need ...  ???

fred c

Being unable to seperate "Fact from Fiction" is a pre-requisite for Members of The TorLab Mob........ An awful lot of Hartlepudlians are "No Longer Buying What The Mob Are Shovelling"

DRiddle

Looks like hartlepool alerts have cottoned on that they've been had.

PLEASE NOTE.

Due to several complaints the story about the sea coalers has been removed.

It was not our intention to post something that would lead to a huge political debate and people demanding that we post an apology.

This story was sent to us as a circulated press release and was not wrote by the Hartlepool Alert team.

It was not meant to be a 'political' story but more about the fact that the sea coalers had been allowed to return to the beaches.

If anyone else has a problem with anything we have or will post then please inbox us and we will sort the problems out.

Many Thanks

Labour may control the mainstream media but they seem to have no idea about how to handle social media. Another few hundred votes lost.

Copper Pipe

Well done DRiddle for that.

I too believe that the people of Hartlepool are getting fed up with all the Labour cack!

You are very wrong to say "Labour may control the mainstream media", you should know cos I heard you on radio Hartlepool, they are constantly spouting off about the shambles that our council are.

The Labour Mail and the Labour hartbeat.

notenoughsaid

"On Friday of last week (March 27) after Council officers followed up a previous approach to The Crown Estate's agents and received confirmation that they were minded to be granted a lease variation, Councillor James and Chief Executive Dave Stubbs agreed to remove locks from barriers at several access points and allow sea coalers' vehicles on to beaches, subject to the introduction of a local licensing scheme. "

Reading both Councillor James and CEO Stubbs 's comments I feel this whole matter is about making money by the issue of a licence . I believe this happened in the early eighties when the issue was hottly debated and arrests were made, although I dont know if anybody went to Court.

fred c

It looks as though The TorLab Mob have been on the dog n bone to the Mail, the article is still on the mail website, but the 30 or so comments have been removed.

hartlepool sea coalers

hi there they were not representitives of the seacoalers and yes your right all that was said was its in the hands of the crown evidence i recieved from the crown proved hbc had not been in contact with the crown therefore the ban had to be lifted and yes they are introducing a licence lets see what they put on the table before the next round begins

christine blakey

Should it not be seen as fraud if HBC Officers are saying that the decision is in the hands of the crown to put people off the scent, then evidence shows it is lies as per the verification that the sea coaler representative has had?

Good that the sea coalers are back on the beach.  Think licencing (money), electioneering and also whistle blowing fears were involved in this. 

After all, sea coalers could be seeing all the debris that is irresponsibly thrown over the side of boats or during the construction of wind turbines that seems to be ignored by HBC but blights the beach?