The Tarnished Jewel

Started by marky, August 03, 2012, 03: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suvin

I went to the rememberance sevice for Hartlepool sailors a couple of weeks ago. It was at the monument at the end of Jackson's Landing pier. The whole pier is overgrown and the building itself is like the hanging gardens at Babylon. I asked our beloved MP if he could do something about it. Didn't get an answer.

fred c

I`m afraid that Jacksons Landing has become the towns biggest "Grot Spot", i don`t know the ins & outs of the legalities in dealing with the grot spots around the town, but it seems to me that HBC have allowed the toerags that actually own these properties to hold the town to ransom.

The Big Tin shed has been  disgrace for years, & the least the council could have done was to force the owners to keep the place & the site respectable.

Looking at markys video of the Marina area as a whole, it is in a state of terminal decline & its only been up for 20 years, there doesn`t appear to be a "Master Plan" for the area & i can see the place becoming a ghetto in the next 10 years or so

I ride a push bike through the Marina area on a regular basis & the roads are a disgrace, & the block paving is uneven & breaking up, there is often the disgusting smell of sewage in the atmosphere & rubbish all over the place.

The town is desperately in need of some sound management & leadership & i`m fraid that our MP & his fellow labour minions on the council aren`t providing it, i firmly believe that it really is a case of we are all right jack..... & F**k the rest of you.

Vincent

Nice post No6, agree entirely that it is the responsibility of the three councillors to make sure the pressure is applied on whoever to sort out the areas they are responsible for, thats why they stood innit?

rabbit

A question in all this is: who owns what and what is their responsibility?

I own my garden, but I don`t think I have a legal responsibility to weed it, although I do.

I own my garden fence, but I don`t have a legal responsibility to stain it, but I do, to preserve it.
I could paint it bright red and white stripes if I wished (much to my neighbours` annoyance)

I do have a responsiblity though in keeping the garden fence safe so that it doesn`t fall down and hit someone walking by. That is a legal issue.

So in the same way, the owners of the railings at the marina have no legal duty to keep them painted, but they have a legal  responsibility to keep them in a safe condition so that someone does not cut themselves or fall through gaps.

Owners of walking surfaces (pavements etc) may have a legal duty to keep them in safe order, or they may find themselves at the wrong end of an injury claim.

What I think is required (if it hasn`t already been established) is a list of who owns what on the marina (every nut and bolt). Big job perhaps.

With that as a starting point, at least those in upper echelons, whether they be the HSE, the Hartlepool Portfolio holders, the Mayor (to galvanize and coordinate action) can at least have points of reference from where to start.

Vincent

So just what are the responsibilities of the ward councillors in regard to the cause and effect of the deterioration of the ward they represent?

The Marina and the Headland are potentially two of our best assets and should be a magnet for visitors to our town. Its an absolute disgarace that both these assets are being allowed to fall into disrepair

Those responsible should keep any assets which have public access safe and look after them and if they dont the ward councillors should bring pressure to bear and if nessessary embarrass those concerned.

rabbit

Perhaps the Marina needs a steering group like this one (Navigation Point)

http://www.investinhartlepool.com/news/51/navigation-point-steering-group

quote:
A small community of businesses in Hartlepool has established its own steering group to develop relations and give it a voice in local matters.

"The new steering group aims to give the businesses here a voice and a focus, in order to address issues important to them and discuss ideas for future improvement.”

Julie noted

Excellent video, perseus. What a shame about the musical soundtrack...did my head in!!
The video made you feel very proud of all those clever, industrious men & women.
God bless them all.

steveL

I don't have a problem with promotional videos like this. Yes it's sanitised and avoids going into detail or embarrassing close-ups but that is what promotional videos do. If nothing else, it reminds us that Hartlepool has enormous potential if only it was better run; if we made more of the assets we already have and made sure we looked after them properly.

Just as an example, see if you can spot any signposts in town which point to the Sea Front, Promenades or Beaches. Anyone would think we were land-locked.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

christine blakey

The Steering Group for Navigation Point is no more.  Navigation Point businesses have no zest left, they simply hold their heads above water and sewage and survive.

We started the group in 2009 but sadly it was crushed by those who wanted to use it for their own ends rather than for the benefit of all.  Sad, so sad, especially when the potential was there.

Donkey Kong

Quote from: christine blakey on August 07, 2012, 02: PM
The Steering Group for Navigation Point is no more.  Navigation Point businesses have no zest left, they simply hold their heads above water and sewage and survive.

We started the group in 2009 but sadly it was crushed by those who wanted to use it for their own ends rather than for the benefit of all.  Sad, so sad, especially when the potential was there.

Give me a minute and I'll go and find the world's smallest violin...

mk1

Quote from: Donkey Kong on August 07, 2012, 04: PM

Give me a minute and I'll go and find the world's smallest violin...

It only took 5 mins for the petty  sniping to make a comeback.........