Two tier NHS on the way?

Started by Lucy Lass-Tick, August 10, 2012, 02: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucy Lass-Tick

Something about this makes me distinctly uncomfortable. Whilst I don't have a problem with people opting for private health care should they wish to use places like the Nuffield Hospital, the idea of NHS resources being allocated to the private sector within the same building somehow just doesn't feel right.  On the other hand, if our local Trust considered this option as a means to keep Hartlepool Hospital open, then I might view the proposition in a different light...

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/2012/08/10/revealed-plans-to-launch-paid-for-services-at-nhs-hospital-84229-31592253/

suvin

The NHS is a lame duck and has been for 40 years. If the theory was any good it would have been adopted by many countries. Just imagine how many benefits your contributions over the years would have generated in the private sector. No waiting lists, 1st class facilities and doctors who take pride in their work. I have had to wait 8 weeks for an appointment to get my ears syringed. This used to be done by a nurse at the surgery. It is pathetic. My brother-in-law had a fall during the week and had to go to North Tees by taxi. He was there for 5 Hours. He wasn't X-rayed  and the junior doctor gave him some pain killers and said he might have a cracked rib. 4 hours later he couldn't move. His wife called the out of hours doctor and was told it would be several hours for a visit. She phoned for an ambulance, paramedics arrived within 10 minutes, (well done) and they spent another 5 hours at North Tees. This time he was X-rayed and had 4 broken ribs. He was given morphine for the pain and prescribed morphine tablets. Another taxi back to Hartlepool. The ambulance driver who took them to North Tees said " Things are only going to get worse because, before the end of the year, there will only be one ambulance based in Hartlepool. Perhaps Keith Fisher could check this out.

The Great Dictator

A two tier system is the only way forward, i would gladly pay £10 to see a doctor.....as long as i don't have to wait 20 hours.

Lucy Lass-Tick

As previously stated, I don't have an issue with private medicine per se; my concerns are that NHS provision may be compromised should both sectors 'share' resources.  My personal opinion is that within 10 years or so the NHS may cease to exist as we know it...maybe we'll still get the basic stuff free (e.g in the case of serious/life threatening illnesses), but will have to pay for anything else.

It could potentially work like the current dental/optical system, where people get free provision should they fall into certain categories (or, for those who are ineligible for this, it could possibly be like prescriptions, where people can buy x months' unlimited items in advance - maybe they could buy y months of unlimited medical treatment with a discounted 'pass' of some kind).

rabbit

The recent Health  Bill allows up to a maximum of 49 per cent income (from private patients) in any NHS hospital.

The powers that be say that very few hospitals will reach this level. (I guess these few will be in the affluent areas-not in Hartlepool). The new hospital at Wynyard most likely will have private rooms.

The government also say that the funds provided by the private beds will support the running of the NHS hospitals. (no doubt this will help balance the 20 billion pounds that is to be saved by the NHS)

The way the future may pan out, the cost of running the NHS, providing ever more and more services. will become unsustainable without the assistance from the private side.

The danger is, once money starts to fund these NHS hospitals, the government will say "thanks very much" and continue to reduce their own funding/

The government infers that safeguards will be arranged so that the NHS patients are not put to a disadvantage by providing services (at the same time) to the private patients.

No doubt a regular report will be issued by each hospital to ensure that this is happening. Presumably if thiey are seen not to be following the rules, then the hospital will receive a penalty (which will perhaps be meaningless)

popgoestheweasal.

I would willing pay less tax and go private.

mk1

Quote from: popgoestheweasal. on August 14, 2012, 02: PM
I would willing pay less tax and go private.

Much like childless couples would like to opt out of paying for education.........

What are the premiums for (say) a 50 year old with severe breathing problems and a congenital heart defect by the way?

popgoestheweasal.

rabbit