Jackson's Landing

Started by for fawkes sake, July 29, 2012, 03: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

for fawkes sake

Had lunch on the Marina today which reminded me that according to The Mail (and Mr Drummond), an announcement about the sale of Jackson's Landing was supposed to be 'imminent' several weeks ago. In fact, I believe at the time it was expected to be within two weeks.
Does anyone know what happened as there has been no such announcemen to my knowledge?
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

popgoestheweasal.

Was told a quick turn over of jacksons landing by the council netted then 250k profit.

not4me

I think we can discount that because were it it to be true Drummond would have plastered it all over his Mail column and the council PR machine would have made sure it was on the front page of The Mail. The Council have a habit of jumping the gun on these things. Remember them adopting the roads on the Marina in July 2010? Never happened.
There'll be a 'last minute hitch' which is usually put down to legal delays.
Drummond's 'two weeks' claim was made at the beginning of March.
http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/local/mayor-hopeful-on-jacksons-landing-1-4307970

Vincent

Gotta give the guy his due, the place has been sat there for years and now we are hopefully seeing the rebirth of what could be a fantastic asset to the town.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

I have grown old waiting for something to happen.

The mayor should take something for his premature announcement problem.
I don't believe it.

rabbit

There could be a raffle organised for blowing it up.

fred c

Quote from: Vincent on July 30, 2012, 01: PM
Gotta give the guy his due, the place has been sat there for years and now we are hopefully seeing the rebirth of what could be a fantastic asset to the town.

Got to give the guy his due ??????

Where have you been for the last 10 years, "The Guy" has had a fantastic "World Class Salary" for those years and has achieved next to sweet FA, his handling of the Grot Spot issues within Hartlepool have proven to be a complete & utter waste of time.

His oft quoted statements of "Master Plans & World Class Facilities" are an insult to intelligence of the general population of Hartlepool, there has been no inprovement in the condition of the Odeon, the Longscar Hall, The Market Hotel, Morrison Hall etc etc etc.

The fact that Jacksons Landing appears to have been purchased by HBC means very little until the actual financial arrangements are made known to the council tax payers of the town, & if the financial reports produced for the Tall Ships fiasco are anything to go by i wont be holding my breath that an open accurate & transparent financial report will be presented to a full council meeting open to members of the public.

mk1

Another 'World Class' Seaton Masterplan  announced in the Mail tonight.
The only flaw I see in the 'plan' is there is no money to carry it through.

Bit like me announcing I have plans to run a Ferrari/Rolls Royce car hire service from a massive 100 acre 'World Class' garage I am going to build-just as soon as someone (stupid)gives me the money to build  it all!

The Great Dictator

Vincent

Fred

The Guy was voted in twice fair and square by the people of Hartlepool and the job pays a handsome salary, accept it.

He cannot be blamed for not sorting out the grot spots at least he has made it an issue which will in time be sorted out.

All those buidings you mention are owned by people who will not allow demolition or renovation and they have a right in law to refuse so what can the Mayor do except keep the spotlight on them.

His declarations about Hartlepool having world class facilities are I admit a bit silly but you have got to agree he is positive about the town.

Would you rather Jacksons Landing is left to rot or pulled down or opened back up as a fantastic retail outlet it once was, I know what I would rather have.

I have read on here time and again about the Tall Ships "fiasco" but I and my family thought it was a fantastic event which advertised Hartlepool to the rest of Britain.

Yes lets have financial transparency, lets see what it costs but in any case I think it will be money well spent

not4me

quote:"I have read on here time and again about the Tall Ships "fiasco" but I and my family thought it was a fantastic event which advertised Hartlepool to the rest of Britain."
I know you mean well, Vincent but what you are suggesting is that, as long as everyone enjoyed the event, it doesn't really matter how little financial control was exercised. I too enjoyed the Tall Ships but I would suggest that budgeting to spend £800,000 and then actually spending £2.14m and then laying down a smoke screen of spin to mask the fact is not the sign of a well run council - and it's a long way from being the only example.

mk1

Quote from: Vincent on July 30, 2012, 07: PM
Would you rather Jacksons Landing is left to rot or pulled down or  opened back up as a fantastic retail outlet it once was, I know what I would rather have.

Let me get this straight.
Jackson's Landing used to be a retail outlet.
It failed.
The building became derelict.
The Council buy the gutted  shell.
It is to be transformed (once again) into a 'fantastic retail outlet'.

Err...............hang on, why didn't the  last owners make it into a  'fantastic retail outlet'?

Possibly because they did not have the advanced business skill of Hartlepool Council...yeah that must be it!

I have read on here time and again about the Tall Ships "fiasco" but I and my family thought it was a fantastic event which advertised Hartlepool to the rest of Britain.

Can you confirm that you and your family visited 1.5 times every day and spent the claimed 60 quid(?) per person per day-as the Council  say you did.

Did your  family  come on one of the (claimed) 10,000 motorbikes?

steveL

Quote from: mk1 on July 30, 2012, 05: PM
Another 'World Class' Seaton Masterplan  announced in the Mail tonight.
The only flaw I see in the 'plan' is there is no money to carry it through.

Bit like me announcing I have plans to run a Ferrari/Rolls Royce car hire service from a massive 100 acre 'World Class' garage I am going to build-just as soon as someone (stupid)gives me the money to build  it all!

I think you might be being a bit unfair this time. As I read it, in order to have any chance of getting funding, HBC has to have a plan in place first. - i.e. 'here is what we would like to do, will you help fund it?'

Of course, that doesn't explain why HBC presents the plan as good news - it will only be that if the money to fund it is found - if it isn't, then it will end up in the same drawer as the floating hotel, the Church Street Trams, The Imperial War Museum, the Tall Ships Centre and the 15,000 jobs the Enterprise Zone will bring etc etc......
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

mk1

so what can the Mayor do except keep the spotlight on them.

He could refrain from saying he was going to sort them out for a start.
If you make this promise the centre-piece of your claim to be an effective Mayor then it follows the failure to achieve your boast brands you a (self-admitted) failure.

steveL

Actually, he's done much worse than that. The last time I saw any figures for this, Drummond was claiming to have resolved over 60+ Grot Spots. This included a whole raft of minor stuff that would have happened anyway, whether he had taken an interest or not. What it didn't include, is any of the recognisable Grot Spots we would all have no trouble identifying - and in the case of the Morrison Hall, it looks like all we have done is taken a problem liability off the hands of the previous owner.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.