James' Coup D'Etat

Started by testing times, July 25, 2012, 04: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

testing times

As I'm reading this, it looks like every Labour Councillor could end up with an additional allowance as Chair of a Committee and when you add this to Labour's open support for a general increase in allowances, things are looking quite rosy for their cash flows - and Mad Marge gets to be Davros too!

not4me

maybe more will be revealed at Thursday's meeting - sounds like a smoke and mirrors job to me.

steveL

sorry for my ignorance but who the hell is Davros? Isn't that Harry Enfield's Greek character?
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

mk1

Quote from: steveL on July 30, 2012, 09: PM
sorry for my ignorance but who the hell is Davros? Isn't that Harry Enfield's Greek character?

Shame on you.

Davros controls the Daleks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davros

stokoe

local issue nothing from perseus

The Great Dictator

not4me

You're not planning on proposing are you, Perseus?

testing times

anyone who can even come close to spelling machiavellian correctly stands no chance of getting elected in the Manor. Get your photofit on Crimewatch UK and you're in with a chance.  ;D

steveL

If it turns out that the town decides to do away with the role of an elected Mayor then it's worth bearing in mind that there were two prongs to the elected Mayoral system when it was introduced in 2002.
The first was the concentration of executive power into the hands of one individual and his/her chosen Cabinet. The second was the establishment of a Scrutiny function to monitor the decisions of the executive. There was no Scrutiny function prior to the introduction of an elected Mayor. It follows therefore that the abolition of one should be automatically be accompanied by the abolition of the other.

From what I'm hearing, this is not the plan of the current Labour Group at all - quite the reverse. They are, by all accounts, looking for ways to create new scrutiny committees to shadow the work of any of the standard council committees (with the exception of Planning and Licensing). This will increase significantly the number of Chairs of Committees and consequently, the number of 'special allowances' paid to those Chairs. The Labour Group are also considering placing the present Scrutiny Coordinating Committee at the top of the pyramid thereby making it the commiittee to which all other committees should defer. This would turn the Scrutiny Coordinating Committee into a defacto replacement for the present Cabinet.

It will be sold to the public, come the referndum, as a return to what went before the elected Mayoral system was introduced but it will be nothing of the sort.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.