A message from planet Tharg.....

Started by marky, July 25, 2012, 01: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marky

Good 'ole Drummond - he's at it again telling us now that The Olympics will succeed 'like the Tall Ships.' Whatever you think of the Olympics, the Olympic project came in under budget and slightly ahead of schedule. I'm sure people will enjoy the Olympics just like they enjoyed the Tall Ships - but that's where the comparison ends in a car crash.... ;D 
http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/columnists/mayor-on-wednesday-olympics-will-succeed-like-tall-ships-races-1-4772613

Lucy Lass-Tick

The sporting theme is distinctly ironic; some reckon Mr Drummond's next likely achievement could be the high jump... ;)

popgoestheweasal.

The LONDON olympics can swivel how can people get excited about all that money wasted on the sporting elite.
swimming pools knocked down in the town and no running track anymore all the grass roots sport money froze to pay for it shocking.
Let the queen pay for it out of vast wealth. someone said to me that the royal family was bankrupt till good queen liz got her hands on our taxes. 

testing times

no I think you must have dreamt it

popgoestheweasal.

Grass roots sports have paid for these games and will be paying for them for years to come the sporting elite will make there fortunes on and off the track and it makes me sick that the rich ans wealthy get the best seats for the best events.
The queen should stump up money in our hour of need but thats not likely is it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8fLOJswWtk

mk1

Look at the value we get out of Air Miles Andy!
The man insists (against Police advice)his two dumpling daughters have round the clock security everywhere they go.

marky

Doesn't anyone stick to a thread's topic anymore?

mk1

One only has to look at France. No Royal Family and they have no tourists at all........err.........

I will let you in on a little secret.
They are German.
The changed the family name in WW1 to cover their foriegn roots.

QuoteDoesn't anyone stick to a thread's topic anymore?

Thw way traffic is and because of the huge drop in the quality of the posts I would say just be thankfull someone is posting!

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Sponsorlympics ...don't say 2012 out loud or the secret police will cart you off to Athens and beat you up.

I remember back when I was just a lad, the Olympics was just about sport not cars, cola, burgers and pontificating Mayors with enormous egos. 
I don't believe it.

popgoestheweasal.

Vincent

Quote from: mk1 on July 25, 2012, 06: PM
One only has to look at France. No Royal Family and they have no tourists at all........err.........

I will let you in on a little secret.
They are German.
The changed the family name in WW1 to cover their foriegn roots.

QuoteDoesn't anyone stick to a thread's topic anymore?

Thw way traffic is and because of the huge drop in the quality of the posts I would say just be thankfull someone is posting!

I agree with KD for once, the Royal Family are a great bonus to the UK.

I understand that tourists have to apply for a UK entry visa, which is a nightmare to fill in and expensive yet the rest of  Europe have one cheap visa which covers entry into all EU countries so of course where do the bulk of the tourists go - France, Germany, Italy, Austria, etc

Lucy Lass-Tick

OK, I've kept out of this so far, but Lucy's foot is now tapping...Kipperdip has been an active and (as I perceive it) valued member of this forum for some time. Perseus, however, seems to be a comparative newcomer - although somewhat prolific in his postings (the allegedly derivative nature of which have been observed by forum members, as has his apparent wish to dazzle lesser mortals with his erudition and superior intellect). 

I believe that effective debate is enhanced when those engaged within the debate demonstrate a wish to engage with one another, rather than simply score points and pin an opponent in a corner (think table tennis vs. a Kalashnikov).

P.S. Somehow, Perseus sweetie, I feel that the likelihood of HTH members avidly awaiting crumbs of wisdom from your sagacious self is a bit of a non-starter, as many (including myself) are becoming increasingly bored. Love, LL-T xx

mk1

Another classic one-liner from our dense Mayor  in tonight's Mail.
Speaking of the kerfuffle going on in London Dumbo opined:

'Hosting the Olympics in your own country is a once in a lifetime  opportunity'

Come on it must be a wind-up. Surely no one is that stupid?

steveL

Maybe we should ask him how to 'host' the Olympics in another country.....anyway, doesn't say much for anyone born before 1948...what a plonker !
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

rabbit

Not to forget the people born in this country who are over 104 years of age (probably thousands of them).

They will have lived through three British based Olympic Games.

Not all on the tele though (nor the radio).