Started by perseus, July 03, 2012, 06: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rabbit

From a Council Report:

DECISION REFERENCE: RN 14/12 - FURNITURE SOLUTIONS
PROJECT
Key Test Decision (ii) applies

Nature of the decision

To consider the options surrounding the delivery of the Furniture Solutions Project, and seek approval to progress with the preferred option.

Who will make the decision?

The decision will be made by the Housing and Transition Portfolio Holder.

Ward(s) affected
The scheme is town wide and will therefore be available to residents in all wards.

Timing of the decision

The decision is expected to be made in June 2012.

Background Information

Introducing a Furniture Solutions Project was identified as a priority, as part of the Scrutiny o-ordinating Committee's investigation into Child Poverty and Financial Inclusion to assist families, particularly those in receipt of benefits when they need to replace or purchase new essential household items.

The work that has been undertaken, so far, in relation to the development of a scheme was outlined to the Scrutiny Co-ordinating Committee in August 2011, which considered the involvement of a community/voluntary sector organisation in the service delivery.

This proposal was reported to Cabinet in October 2011 where Members agreed that the commencement of the scheme could not be supported and that the £50,000 contribution to kick start the scheme should be part of the budget consultation process. opportunities to link to other organisations already delivering this type of scheme should be explored further.

£50,000 has been approved by full Council, as part of the Medium Term Financial Strategy – Budget and Policy Framework 2012/13 and 2014/15, to kick start the Furniture Project.
66 - 66 -
Who will be consulted and how?

Research will be undertaken to establish which service providers from the community / voluntary sector, public and private sector etc. already deliver similar or related services. The aspirations of such groups and organisations will also be explored.

I note that the word "new" is used in the document on one occasion but whether that refers to pristine unused items or just means provision of a replacement product is not made clear. I also note that the last paragraph opens the door to the OMCA.

Lucy Lass-Tick

I can see no justification whatsoever in blowing £50k on wages on an unnecessary administrator of a duplicate 'service' with little apparent value; my hope is that the cold wind of reality sweeps through tomorrow's meeting. Money is tight, and every penny is going to need to do the work of a sixpence as times grow increasingly harder.  Apart from selfless, worthy and effective institutions such as credit unions/charity shops etc., Perseus has clearly demonstrated the value of Freecycle, both in ethics and practicality.  My feelings are that it would be little short of obscene to appoint anyone to this role, and I would question the morality (and sanity) of those who would endorse what could be seen as a pointless waste of public money when (if affordable, appropriate and used judiciously - e.g. as a grant to a credit union), it could benefit those who truly need it most.

not4me

I remember reading one of the scrutiny reports on this and they were definitely talking about 'new' items. In fact, I'd go a bit further than that - I'm sure it was stated that providing 'new' items rather than second-hand would help people settle into their new homes quicker and produce a more 'stable tenancy' - or words to that effect. Don't ask me to explain the logic - I'm just the messenger. ;D

The Great Dictator

Its another job that will disappear in the next raft of cuts.

testing times

Not if the job is farmed out to a third party 'outreach' centre. Haven't we all seen how the council washes its hands of the money once it leaves the Civic Centre?

notenoughsaid

I seem to recall that the said £50,000 was a bit of a windfall to HBC following a strike by staff,creating a surplus due to non payment of wages on the day.   Would anybody please be able to confirm this?   If true I feel HBC would be better using the money to help balance their budget and not letting it burn a hole in their hand. I accept I may be wrong however thanks in anticipation.

steveL

No, that £50,000 was redirected into the training budget and relates to the one-day stoppages by Civic Centre staff (not teachers) over pension changes. Although, the strikers weren't paid for the day, they will now have access to training days and courses that wouldn't have been available before. I believe the idea was that re-training would be especially useful to any council workers who may find thmselves facing redundancy.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

mk1

Quote from: perseus on July 09, 2012, 05: PM
to waste on microwaves for people on the dole.

I have to say posting that kind of  sh*ite  does the site no good at all.
Perhaps in future the moronic comments could be kept to oneself?

mk1

Quote from: perseus on July 09, 2012, 09: PM

What's the matter? Did nobody vote for you when you stood for election?

Paranoid/delusional  as well as moronic!

mk1

Quote from: perseus on July 09, 2012, 09: PM
And bang on the money by the sounds of it. . .  ;)

World's worst clairvoyant as well as a paranoid delusionist!

testing times

"waste on microwaves for people on the dole. "
I think you've spoiled a good point by using an uncharateristic generalisation. Anyone can find himself 'on the dole' these days and generalisations like that are disrespectful to many who have worked for years and find themselves having to sign on through no fault of their own.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Those that have a history of working generally already have a microwave, washing machine etc. (maybe not a 70" flat screen telly for Jeremy Kyle),
so are generally not likely to need this service (unless thy want to watch Jeremy Kyle doley style). 

I don't believe it.

steveL

Looks like this has been given the nod through by Drummond and his Cabinet leaving me wondering just what it is about Ms James which scares people so much. There's no logic to this at all; it's straight forward duplication and a complete waste of £50,000.

The Credit Union offers loans at 2% interest for electrical goods and furniture in conjunction with the Coop compared to the likes of Brighthouse which charges 29.9% APR. The Coop scheme is used widely across the UK, specifically targets those unable to obtain credit elsewhere and views itself as a 'social scheme' with preferential terms. They guarantee the lowest prices for electrical items and also make available special offers. They also arrange to take away old electrical items and deliver for free.

The Credit Union runs out-reach sessions at several community run organisations in Hartlepool but interestingly not OFCA or Manor Residents - some bad history there methinks which possibly explains the unnecessary duplication.

Take a look at the Credit Union web site and then try and figure out why HBC is forking out £50,000 to fund an administrator for some, as yet un-named organisation, for two years (don't try too hard guessing which). I can't be the only one who thinks that £50,000 would be better spent as a loan rather than a grant to the Credit Union to help it simply make its existing cheap load service available to more people.

Can we expect a certain councillor to be making use of the service to buy a second 50inch 3D Telly?

http://www.hartlepoolcreditunion.co.uk/Electrical-Goods
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

rabbit

The Credit Union rate of interest on loans is not so good, as it states no more than 2 percent per month. This works out as no more than 27 percent APR . Not dissimilar to that of those available elsewhere.

Why the Mayor is supporting this with a donation is not clear to me either.

steveL

I hear what you are saying but you have to remember that this new scheme comes with no means to fund its own loans - all of the £50,000 is going on admin. What that 'admin' will do is point any applicant in the direction of some other organisation for the actual loan - in all probability the Credit Union - which only serves to emphasise just how c**k-eyed the whole idea is. Still, looks like someone's relative will get a couple of years salary out of it.  ::)