Mr Allison released statement on election defeat.

Started by The Shadow, May 12, 2012, 02: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Dictator

Since when did second minority group leaders get an allowance ?

I must be out of touch, i didn't even know that Fire Brigade members got it as well  :o

Straight Talking

Quote from: dangerman on May 13, 2012, 08: AM
Reading about what has been said on Councillors may I make the following comments?

You try and make out it's some sort of secret what Councillors actually get paid for, It's is there on public record if you are of the impression that it's easy money then think again It's not.

The time factor of doing this job and I say job because it is just that, is that you are never away from work if you walk out the door then consituents approach you for all sorts of reasons, some nice, some abusive, what are YOU doing about this or that, like you have a magic wand to wave.

Meals interupted answering the phone, personal callers at the door. the list goes on and on. family and friends are also targeted by constituents who come out with insults that would not be tolerated in any work place.

I know first hand because of a friendship with a past serving hard working councillor he was even approached at his sisters funeral, to sort something out in his street, he handled it far better than I would have done.It was hardly the place or the time, tears streaming down while taking note of the complaint.

Take note; If you think it's an easy ride and money for nothing then give it a try. It may come as quite a shock to the system. It's not the job is 24 hours a day.  seven days a week.  four years or more. I wouldn't do it after seeing what he's put up with over the years he served.

I once asked him why he bothered his reply was I Care about where I live and the people... Think on it!

At last someone who can see beyond the trees, Dangerman, you are absolutely right.

I know Councillors who have taken calls during children's birthday parties and even on Christmas Day. They are regularly stopped going about general business such as shopping. This is all part of the fabric of life for them and for £70 or so a week in real terms, who else would take such stick as is dished out on this website by in the main people who wouldn't put up with it themselves.

Do unto others .................... that is how I was brought up.

not4me

Surely the main political group would be Ged Hall (or whoever the Labour leader is this week) and the main opposition Mad Marge  ;)

testing times

Has there been a change in Labour leader? As I understand it, Ged hall was just standing in until a new leader was voted in.

dangerman

Thank you for that reply to my comments on being a councillor, one instance came to mind of him being asked to deal with an issue of abusive drug dealing tenants in Perth Street.

Asking if he had contacted their own ward councillor. Dunno who he is.

Well did you vote?

Oh yes of course I voted.

Well who did you vote for? Dunno but I know it was Labour Gadgy.

I walked away at this point thinking how the hell/why do you put up with people like that.

Be a councillor. Not on your Nellie

The Great Dictator

Ged hall is in the same group as marge, its the opposition group leaders that get the extra cash.

Inspector Knacker

No one is forced at gunpoint to become a councillor, they do it because they choose to.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

It would be better if the apathetic electorate did the choosing.
We could do with some guns or rockets up the rear  to get people voting ....before we know it we will have I am not voting because my dad didn't vote and my grandad didn't vote  (or work for a living).
I don't believe it.

observer

members' allowances are as in 'part 6' of the council's constitution.  this is publicly available on the council's website -
http://www.hartlepool.gov.uk/site/scripts/download_info.php?fileID=3958

danny_boy

These allowances are payable on top of the standard basic allowances of £5,767.

The Mayoral Allowance currently stands at £63,000

Police Authority

Councillors who are also appointed to the Police Authority receive the following additional allowances:

Fire Authority
Councillors who are also appointed to the Fire Authority receive the following additional allowances:

Just to give a comparison, here are the allowances paid by Stockton Borough Council which I chose for no particular reason.

The Basic Allowance paid to Stockton Councillors is £9,300 compared to Hartlepool's £,5,767

christine blakey

Danny, you are brilliant!

Can you also do a table or thread regarding numbers visiting site. 

Although I disagree with posters putting anything on that is not true, with the aim of discrediting a source of evidence, I appreciate the statistics and chance to get credible information and support from HTH.  I also don't like the swearing and name calling!

With that said, I am creating a useful link for an HTH reference to my new website, so that useful links can be made.  Tables such as this are brilliant for clear illustration and simple reference points.

danny_boy

We lost the historical data when the site was attacked. The latest figures for visitors that I have is 48,741 for the last 30 days:

The Great Dictator

I think councillors should get a 50% pay rise to help cope with the loss of 15 councillors..

christine blakey

Danny, thank you very much.  If you could can you make this a column on the home page as I think it is useful for people to have constant access to these statistics. 

It shows that when people object to false, inaccurate or misleading information, they have a point (even if just one person was told fabricated 'facts', it should still be treated with zero tolerance) that it ruins this site, spoils or fogs the vital accurate information that would otherwise remain hidden but also justifies any challenge being made. 

Your statistics are very useful and I hope a column is easily made so that we get a fuller picture of the readership within this site. 

The Great Dictator

You'll only attract low life with those wages.