The Brothers do it AGAIN

Started by Hartlepudlion, October 23, 2013, 02: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Knacker

I'm more than aware from  union work  over the years that employers are there to mske a profit, that's the bottom line, but ......... real politik in this case is sadly missing....like a senior union official told me thirty years ago, we all think we're comfortable with the trappings of life, but when the money stops coming in we,re all six weeks away from the workhouse!
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Lord Elpus

Quote from: Riddler5 on October 24, 2013, 07: AM
I'm more than aware from  union work  over the years that employers are there to mske a profit, that's the bottom line, but ......... real politik in this case is sadly missing....like a senior union official told me thirty years ago, we all think we're comfortable with the trappings of life, but when the money stops coming in we,re all six weeks away from the workhouse!

Trouble is we don't even have the base level of the workhouse to provide a roof over ones head if thinks go really bad.  Its the streets or a shop doorway.

DRiddle

Well, unless there's a major change in the situation announced yesterday, (which now looks likely) UNITE have just played their part in putting a couple of thousand workers one major step close to the workhouse.

They're playing a very dangerous game rejecting the offer in this economic climate. You only need to have a look at the situation in Redcar to see the damage that can be done by closing a major employer.

Youth unemployment there is 42%, that's on a par with Greece and Cyprus.

The Great Dictator

Give the jobs to the Poles and Indians, they don't complain.

WhatTheHeck

Pensionater, its about time you moved into the real world, the owner of the company may be worth billions, but  his company is losing millions a month

He would be quite within his rights to cut his personal losses and close it down with the relevant loss of  employment, instead he put forward a plan that would safeguard workers jobs, their union decided against the plan therefore putting their members future and that of their families in jeopardy.

Unions have a lot to answer for when you look the state of british industry.
No relation to Whattheheck from the mail !

The Great Dictator

Pensionater has a lot to answer for too.

pensionater

I bet there is nobody on this site that has turned down a pay rise negotiated for by a union,whether they were a member of the union or not.So don't sit on your high horses and look down on the likes of me.

Inspector Knacker

It's not the 1970's  anymore,. The worlds moved on.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

pensionater

Yeah its not the 1940's either so do you want to wipe that from the history books as well?.

DRiddle

Mr Pensionater Sir, straight forward question... would you rather the 2,000 workers (counting contracted staff) had jobs and lower wages and pension entitlement.... or didn't have jobs?

mk1

Quote from: DRiddle on October 24, 2013, 09: PM
Mr Pensionater Sir, straight forward question... would you rather the 2,000 workers (counting contracted staff) had jobs and lower wages and pension entitlement.... or didn't have jobs?

It is the race to the bottom again.
They work for a pound an hour in Pakistan.
Do you think we should  offer to do it for 99p an hour?

mk1

Quote from: WhatTheHeck on October 24, 2013, 04: PM
Pensionater, its about time you moved into the real world, the owner of the company may be worth billions, but  his company is losing millions a month

Yes that is why he bought it. He was moved to offer the workers a secure future and   make sure they could keep their jobs. He should get a medal for his efforts.
It never for a minute crossed his mind that by cutting everything to the bone he could make  himself and his shareholders millions. Perish the thought.

mk1

Quote from: pensionater on October 24, 2013, 07: PM
I bet there is nobody on this site that has turned down a pay rise negotiated for by a union,whether they were a member of the union or not.So don't sit on your high horses and look down on the likes of me.

It used to amuse me greatly that the  people who used to moan loudestabout the Unions at work  would, when the managers turned on them,  come crawling (some even in tears) asking if they could join and if it could be kept private..

mk1

Quote from: stephen allison on October 24, 2013, 12: PM
There are so many legal safeguards in place and so many no win no fee layers chasing any hint of unfair practices that the role of the unions in protecting their members from unscrupulous employers is much reduce

If you are in a Union you automatically get 'free' access to legal services. This covers you for mishaps outside the workplace as well.

grim reaper

Unlike, I suspect, a number of people on here, I have owned businesses both in Hartlepool and elsewhere and know what it is like to have to compile business plans.
To have borrow money for start-ups and work all hours God sends to keep the business ahead of the competition and world events.
Employees? They don't give a sh*t, as long as their money is in the bank at the end of the month.
No, that's not fair..I would say it's 50/50.

I was looked upon as the 'rich' boss...THEY worked 8 hours a day and went home.
I worked 14 hours a day and went home to check invoices, orders and accounts.
Now retired, I can't believe how easy it is to go to bed at night and go to sleep.

The thought struck me that this is why the likes of Hartlepool will always be a 'backwater' town.
It's 'us and them'. The 'rich' bosses and the poor workers.
There is nothing stopping the 'poor' workers from achieving what the 'rich' bosses have achieved; all you have to do is pay attention at school, get an education and use your brains.
And, with respect, if that is not achievable, stop sniping at those that seize the opportunity, put their house and life into hock and beg the bank manager for a financial start.
I am sure Jim Radcliffe didn't start out a multi-millionaire...he no doubt took the risk and mortgaged himself to the hilt and eventually it paid off.
In America he would be classed a 'winner'. here in the UK we detest the 'rich' bosses.
Richard Branson started out selling car aerials from the boot of his car and is now reported to be retiring to his place in the Caribbean.
Despite the fact he employs thousands of people throughout his various companies, the snipers have started, calling him a 'tax dodger' etc.
Even though he has always been domiciled in the UK for tax purposes.

Behind all of this I believe, are the unions.
Forever decrying the 'rich' bosses and unsettling the workforce for strike purposes. (And to garner more to join the ranks and pay in their subs. It keeps the likes of McClusky in the lifestyle he's accustomed to!).

The refinery...How many of you would turn down a £40,000 a year job, even if you had to pay 6% towards your own pension?
Unite have finally had to back down over their spurious claims and I hope the workforce do keep their jobs but at the same time, I hope they also see the folly in following the likes of the Communist dinosaur, McClusky going along the same lines of Red Robbo and the demise of British Leyland.

A pause for the usual suspects to pick over my comments like carrion crow.

As someone that has been through the mill to start businesses and employed people and suffered the stress of keeping them going and people in jobs, I do not intend to go into a protracted diatribe on here about 'rich' bosses and 'poor' workers.
You have my point of view and, having lived through it...it is now closed.