Compass Choice Based Lettings (Are we going to let this Madness Continue)

Started by ashamedtobebritish, October 19, 2014, 08: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashamedtobebritish

I am currently in the middle of compiling a report on the Fairness of Hartlepools Choice Based Lettings Scheme as I am hearing from many people that certain applicants are jumping the housing queue when they have Little or NO Housing need whatsoever, I am also hearing several claims that Housing Officers are offering properties to their friends and family who are waiting on the list considerably less time than genuine applicants who are in Genuine need.

I have also heard claims that certain properties that are void and empty are not even advertised through the scheme and given directly to applicants on the scheme without the need for bidding whatsoever.

There is also an issue where applicants who are struggling paying the Spare Bedroom Subsidy who are being "overlooked" for rehousing as they are falling into arrears with their rent thus not being able to "downsize" and stop them falling into further debt.

Id like to hear from people who are currently on the Housing list in Hartlepool and how Long they have been waiting for a property and if you have  had any problems with applying through the Choice Based Lettings Scheme.

Have you been overlooked for rehousing due to arrears ?

Do you think the Scheme is being abused by people who are just looking to get into the Social Housing System.

I need to hear from you.

At the moment I have reasonable suspicions to say that the scheme is being seriously abused and not fit for purpose and steps need to be taken to either have this scheme abolished or the people administering the scheme having it taken of them and given to an indipendent organisation to run.

Thank You

craig finton

I'm curious about when properties are let to people who then never seem to occupy them. Any ideas what goes on there? Are they claiming the housing benefit but living with someone else?

not4me

what would be the point of that. They would still have to use the HB to pay the rent

ashamedtobebritish

Ive heard of a similar issue where someone had reported a flat that wasnt occupied by the tenant, he was living with his partner further down the street and he was basically using the flat as a "Dole Address". This was reported to what was then "Housing Hartlepool" and the Housing Officer said they could not just go up to his property and say "we think you arnt living there" when half a dozen witnesses would have told them exactly what was going on. The simple fact is they were getting all the Housing Benefit paid on the property and Housing Hartlepool didnt want to "rock the boat" so to speek by going through the rigmarole of investigating the matter, then having the cost of him evicted and loosing Housing Benefit on the property whilst it was "Void" for several weeks before it being re-let to someone else.

In just one specific street of Hartlepool alone I could count at least 4 properties not occupied at all due to the occupier living with a partner or with someone else illegally.

Housing Hartlepool's stance on the matter they dont want to do anything about it as they would loose their "guaranteed income" thus the reason why we have a shortage of 1 bed flats in the town.

One Housing Officer remarkably said " if theres Net Curtains up and a Vase up at the window, its lived in.

There are procedures Housing Associations can do to check if you are living at a property or not, they have the powers to check your bills just like the council can.

They dont.

christine blakey

They are breaking the law by ignoring possible benefit crime.

Well done for researching this area.

I hope everyone supports you in giving you as much information as possible so that houses are allocated fairly and to the right people who will simply live at the address and contribute positively to the community around them.